• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ram

Red Wings Making Play for Modano

Rate this topic

Mike Modano plans to fly from Dallas to Detroit this morning, have lunch with Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and take in a Tigers game.

If the Wings have their way, Modano's visit will lead to him signing a contract with them.

"We badly want him," senior vice president Jimmy Devellano said Monday.

Modano, from Westland, has spent the past 16 seasons in Dallas. He was drafted by the franchise, then in Minnesota, first overall in 1988. At 40, he is debating whether to play on -- and whether to do so in Detroit. The Stars have told the unrestricted free agent they won't re-sign him.

Modano has liked what he's heard so far from Holland and coach Mike Babcock.

"Ken had shown a lot of interest. It's been exciting talking to him and getting his whole feel on the thing," Modano said. "It's just a matter of with me, I'm trying to process whether or not to play.

"Detroit has shown a lot of interest, so I'm going to come up for a day, sit down with them face-to-face, take in a ballgame. It's a great team, great opportunity, great coach. There are a lot of positives."

Modano would upgrade the Wings at center on the third line, where he could use his passing skills to set up wingers such as Dan Cleary, Jiri Hudler or Todd Bertuzzi. Modano also possesses a terrific shot and could benefit from playing in a system where a winger is designated to be a distraction in front of the net.

The Wings have had great success bringing in supposedly over-the-hill players and fitting them into their system, doing so, for example, in 2007-08 with Dallas Drake, and before that, with Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille.

Modano, who won a Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999, is the top scoring American player in NHL history with 1,359 points and 557 goals. Last season, he had 14 goals and 30 points in 59 games.

The Wings already have 10 forwards under contract and have offers out to all four of their restricted free-agent forwards: Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller. All are expected to be re-signed, but the Wings could opt to move one of the latter two, or Mattias Ritola, if they succeed in snaring Modano.

NOTEBOOK: Defenseman Derek Meech opted to file for salary arbitration.

Hate to see Miller go, but if we can get Modano it might be worth it. Miller works hard but he'll probably never be any more of an impact player than he is now. So we're not really losing some long-term development, we're just upgrading for a year until Ritola or Abdelkader is ready to make an impact.

QFT

I've never agreed with his number being retired league-wide. Above and beyond what you said, there's plenty of argument that Gretzky wasn't the greatest player of all-time. He's obviously the greatest scorer in the history of the game, but one aspect of the game doesn't make him automatically the greatest *all-around* player of all-time.

EXACTLY.

:thumbup::clap::thumbup::clap::thumbup::clap::thumbup::clap:

I get the Jackie Robinson in Baseball retiring, the man did something that was a huge step forward in both Baseball and the culture of America at the time.

But you don't see baseball retiring the #'s 3,7 or basketball #23.

Wayne is known as the best to play the game, retiring his number across the league was dumb, and should not have been done.

What did he do for the teams he didn't play for, it is not like he was one of the first to fight for the players union, or took a stance for players salary.

He was just the best to play the game.

Funny thing about that: sometime during Jordan's time with the Wizards, Pat Riley of the Miami Heat retired Jordan's number in their rafters, even though Jordan never played for them. Now no Miami Heat player can wear #23.

And to expand on the whole league-wide retired # thing, not to long ago LeBron James wanted to get a petition to retire Jordan's number league-wide, but Jordan wanted to shoot it down, saying something along the lines of he doesn't like the idea of his number being retired league wide because there were other great players a part of the league (as well as their being great players in the future), and it wouldn't be fair to them.

I doubt anyone would pick 99 though out of respect, if the number wasn't retired.

In local league, stuff that I was involved with growing up, you didn't want to wear 99 or even 98. 98 was a 'I am the next greatest player', stupid teenager s***. They usually ended up on the wrong side of an open ice hit, by an opposing player, that took exception to his number.

I say give him 29. Let him put respect back in to that number. Is there anyone else around here, that would like to see a red/white Modano 29 jersey in full flight?

so those other 3 teams involved, those west teams??? I've heard chicago may be interested but I don't see how they could offer any more than the wings could. Modoano would be a great fit on that young LA team. Could be possible now that they are out of the Kovalchuk sweepstakes.

Guest Heaten

I cannot fathom why he would even consider Chicago Blackhawks. You'd think he'd want a chance to win a cup before retiring. Chicago is so messed up, I'd be surprised if they make it out of the first round (granted, if they even make the playoffs).

If Modano wants a real chance to win the cup, then Detroit is his best option.

I cannot fathom why he would even consider Chicago Blackhawks. You'd think he'd want a chance to win a cup before retiring. Chicago is so messed up, I'd be surprised if they make it out of the first round (granted, if they even make the playoffs).

If Modano wants a real chance to win the cup, then Detroit is his best option.

not only that, but I'm pretty sure we can offer him more than a stick of gum and a half eaten bag of Doritos and still stay under the... Chicago doesn't have that option...

I doubt anyone would pick 99 though out of respect, if the number wasn't retired.

In local league, stuff that I was involved with growing up, you didn't want to wear 99 or even 98. 98 was a 'I am the next greatest player', stupid teenager s***. They usually ended up on the wrong side of an open ice hit, by an opposing player, that took exception to his number.

I say give him 29. Let him put respect back in to that number. Is there anyone else around here, that would like to see a red/white Modano 29 jersey in full flight?

He wore 27 on the All-Star teams when 9 was taken, so I assume if he signed here, that's what he'd wear...

I know it's definitely a different situation this off-season with the Hawks due to cap hell really hitting home, but at the same time, many were saying the same things about them last year. No defense, no secondary guys, terrible goaltending...yeah, then they won the Cup. Every great team is dealing with their own version of cap hell more and more year after year. That said, I would be shocked if Chicago wasn't in the running once again next year.

All these Modano haters.... Passion is contagious, a Veteran with a major will to win in one of his last seasons spreads to others, ever notice the last two cups we've won were when in 2002 we had Robataille, Hull, Hasek all nearing the end of their careers wanting to win so badly, and in 08 when we had Drake. Others would see them go out on shifts and match their intensity cause they knew how bad they wanted it, something this team lacked this year.

I have been in from the word "Go" on this one. Just more reason to hear "the Red Wings are old" and still make the playoffs and be one of the teams to beat. This guy adds veteran presence which you can never be short of and will make that 3rd line pretty sexy indeed. Sounds like its inevitable.

All these Modano haters.... Passion is contagious, a Veteran with a major will to win in one of his last seasons spreads to others, ever notice the last two cups we've won were when in 2002 we had Robataille, Hull, Hasek all nearing the end of their careers wanting to win so badly, and in 08 when we had Drake. Others would see them go out on shifts and match their intensity cause they knew how bad they wanted it, something this team lacked this year.

Holy s***.... We can agree on something. Very well said.

Guest Heaten

I know it's definitely a different situation this off-season with the Hawks due to cap hell really hitting home, but at the same time, many were saying the same things about them last year. No defense, no secondary guys, terrible goaltending...yeah, then they won the Cup. Every great team is dealing with their own version of cap hell more and more year after year. That said, I would be shocked if Chicago wasn't in the running once again next year.

I don't know who would of said that. Apparently someone with very low hockey IQ. From what I've read around the boards (this board and others) that everyone understood that Chicago was putting all their eggs in one basket for a 1-year window to win. They were the closest thing to an "all-star" team in the Nu-NHL that we'll probably ever see. They made decisions that will haunt them for years. I don't expect Blackhawks to be true contenders for awhile. Many teams are getting better while they are getting significantly worse.

My guess is Modano is using the Blackhawks interest as a bargaining chip to get more money/yr contract out of Holland. Nothing more. Chicago has nothing to offer a player like Modano.

Edited by Heaten

This is from the Red Wings Twitter page a minute ago.

“We’re flying Mike Modano in for today,” Holland told DetroitRedWings.com. “Mike Babcock and I are going to spend the day with him.”

The Wings’ officials plan to lunch with Modano, and they will also attend Tuesday’s Tigers-Baltimore Orioles game at Comerica Park.

“I think Mike Modano is going through the process of whether or not he wants to play again,” Holland said. “If he does want to play again, obviously, because he’s a local hall-of-fame-to-be player, who we think has some hockey left in him, we have interest.”

I don't know who would of said that. Apparently someone with very low hockey IQ. From what I've read around the boards (this board and others) that everyone understood that Chicago was putting all their eggs in one basket for a 1-year window to win. They were the closest thing to an "all-star" team in the Nu-NHL that we'll probably ever see. They made decisions that will haunt them for years. I don't expect Blackhawks to be true contenders for awhile. Many teams are getting better while they are getting significantly worse.

My guess is Modano is using the Blackhawks interest as a bargaining chip to get more money/yr contract out of Holland. Nothing more. Chicago has nothing to offer a player like Modano.

Trust me, I remember distinctly. Why? I made a thread saying they were going to the finals for the West (I was off on the Caps out of the East) and just about everyone and their mother came out to rip me to shreds and alert me of all the reasons why they're still terrible. Short, short, short memories around here...

The wine and dine thing is lovely and all, but if the 2 teams other then Chicago are willing to pay Mike, we wont get him. I'd say the most we should give Modano is 1mil for 1yr, and thats it. I'd love to have him, but with others showing interest now I doubt it.

Guest Heaten

Trust me, I remember distinctly. Why? I made a thread saying they were going to the finals for the West (I was off on the Caps out of the East) and just about everyone and their mother came out to rip me to shreds and alert me of all the reasons why they're still terrible. Short, short, short memories around here...

I didn't read that thread. You should've bumped it after they won. Chicago was, by no means, guaranteed to win the cup... but they did mortgage their future for their best chance to win in 50 years.

I think if you make another thread stating Chicago to the WCF in 2010/11, you'd be proven wrong. Teams in the West are getting significantly better while the Blackhawks are getting significantly worse. You can thank their poor management for that. But hey, they did win the cup. That should tide them over for a couple more decades.

Edited by Heaten

I didn't read that thread. You should've bumped it after they won. Chicago was, by no means, guaranteed to win the cup... but they did mortgage their future for their best chance to win in 50 years.

I think if you make another thread stating Chicago to the WCF in 2010/11, you'd be proven wrong. Teams in the West are getting significantly better while the Blackhawks are getting significantly worse. You can thank their poor management for that. But hey, they did win the cup. That should tide them over for a couple more decades.

Hmm, good idea! :lol: I still think if the Caps had've kept their heads straight in round 1, they would've gone to the Finals for the East. I don't know what in the hell happened to them. Well, I know, but you know, I don't...one of those things. That's playoff hockey, though I still think they're grossly underestimated as they were the year before.

And to be perfectly honest, the only reason I didn't call the Hawks for the Cup straight out is because I knew I was already way over the top for most here in suggesting they would rep the West in the Finals! With Scotty Bowman consulting, it was tough for me to doubt some of their moves; I've learned not to. The Hossa signing definitely was huge, but to me it wssn't even so much the fact that it was a big name guy so much as the complete game Hossa stood for, and when you go and sign a guy like that, to me, you're coming out and saying that your stars are going to bust ass and your team is going to be adapting to a more responsible system. While hardly outstanding, they did very much develop a more complete team-D game (lead by Hossa, as management referenced throughout the year) and while the goaltending was always a wild card, I just had a feeling that one way or another, they'd work it out and they did just that.

Here's the thread I made featuring some of the opinions, though I was getting it all over in other threads as well for suggesting the same thing...

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php/topic/59757-2010-cup-final-prediction-hawks-vs-caps/page__hl__blackhawks

And I wouldn't go out on a limb for Chicago this year like last, though I certainly wouldn't count them out at this point either by a long-shot. A lot can happen between now and April. The team still has a solid core of top-level guys, and heaven knows what tricks the Bowmans have up their sleeves down the stretch. Again, I've learned to not doubt Scotty Bowman's influence. I didn't doubt it last year, and it's why I felt confident calling Chicago to go the distance. It looks rough now, but they'll still be competing at the start of the season, this time with even more confidence and experience, and they'll likely improve their roster and be in the running for the Cup next year again.

That said, I also think Detroit will have a much stronger showing this year as well so long as injuries don't hit at the wrong time. If I had to pick today, I'd say Detroit vs. Chicago in the Western Finals, and anyone's guess as to who comes out alive. Out of the East, I've still gotta go with the Caps. They were too close in 2009, and 2010 felt far too much like a fluke that'll only make them stronger this year.

So yeah, Modano, woo!

Guest screwdahawks

QFT

I've never agreed with his number being retired league-wide. Above and beyond what you said, there's plenty of argument that Gretzky wasn't the greatest player of all-time. He's obviously the greatest scorer in the history of the game, but one aspect of the game doesn't make him automatically the greatest *all-around* player of all-time.

:thumbup:

Guest Heaten

Here's the thread I made featuring some of the opinions, though I was getting it all over in other threads as well for suggesting the same thing...

http://www.letsgowin..._hl__blackhawks

I did a quick skim through that thread, and what I am reading is people questioning the Blackhawks goalie situation. Everyone said Huet wasn't good enough... which was fact. Nobody, not even Blackhawks brass, suspected Niemi would be the guy to take them all the way.

If Blackhawks played Huet in the playoffs, Preds would have advanced to round two.