• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyTownHouligan

Lilja, Modano, and Maltby news

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/07/red_wings_touch_base_with_kirk.html

I really hope they sign all of these guys even Maltby because the guy is still a warrior, he's got heart and he's still a force along the boards. what do you guys think about the article. oh and 1.25 for modano is about right for one year and for the talent the guy still has.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/07/red_wings_touch_base_with_kirk.html

I really hope they sign all of these guys even Maltby because the guy is still a warrior, he's got heart and he's still a force along the boards. what do you guys think about the article. oh and 1.25 for modano is about right for one year and for the talent the guy still has.

Kirk Maltby?

I want some of what you're smoking.

Edited by Zetts

More like he's a force at running his mouth.

i'd be 100% fine with maltby in grand rapids. his time with the wings is done. as much as i like lilja, he wants a bigger role which won't be found for him on the wings and i wanna see kindl full time in the winged wheel. as for modano, i've grown impatient with waiting for this s***. sign helm and abby already and give ritola playing time on the 3rd line.

Former Red Wings Brett Hull and Chris Chelios have spoken to Modano on the Red Wings' behalf.

Now that's very interesting to me. Very interesting indeed...

So I use an add-on called Speeddial for Firefox which is a lot like other browser's startup page where you can pick certain websites you want to access quicker. These websites front page get uploaded every 24 hours and stay that way until refreshed again. So I booted up Firefox today and come to my surprise, the NHL has a big news story there. So I immediately rush to the site and can't seem to find the story anymore. Look at the middle right picture. Don't know what it means though.

Untitled-3.jpg

So I use an add-on called Speeddial for Firefox which is a lot like other browser's startup page where you can pick certain websites you want to access quicker. These websites front page get uploaded every 24 hours and stay that way until refreshed again. So I booted up Firefox today and come to my surprise, the NHL has a big news story there. So I immediately rush to the site and can't seem to find the story anymore. Look at the middle right picture. Don't know what it means though.

Found this snippet on their Free Agency Blog on NHL.com (about 1/4 of the way down on that link). This is probably what they were referring to.

Modano may not end up in Detroit

07.13.2010 / 11:59 a.m. ET

It seemed like a perfect fit, but the chances of Mike Modano signing with the Detroit Red Wings suddenly appear slim.

According to the Detroit News, the offer the Red Wings gave Modano might not be enough to entice the Michigan native to head to Motown. Detroit currently has 20 players under contract at a total of $55.7 million, but still has to sign restricted free agents Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm.

"We made an offer, we made our pitch," Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper. "But this being a cap world, we've made lots of commitments. We don't have a lot of wiggle room.

"We would love to have Mike join us, but we only have a certain amount to spend."

Other teams reportedly interested in Modano's services are Minnesota, San Jose and Anaheim.

As the article points out ....... I just don't see Maltby taking a two-way contract and I certainly don't see him sitting in GR during the season. If that's all the Wings have to offer, I'd have to imagine he'll see what else he can get (Tampa Bay???). I just don't see the logic behind trying to bring him back for more than deep, deep depth.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I use similar plugins for my browsers, and find the NHL hardly ever is the same as the site itself. They should take all that time the webmaster is taking to constantly update things and focus it on more productive things. NHL.com never breaks anything anyways. In fact, lately it seems like most everything is breaking on twitter first. It'd be counter productive to not allow the news companies to make their $$.

As the article points out ....... I just don't see Maltby taking a two-way contract and I certainly don't see him sitting in GR during the season. If that's all the Wings have to offer, I'd have to imagine he'll see what else he can get (Tampa Bay???). I just don't see the logic behind trying to bring him back for more than deep, deep depth.

if tampa is interested he should go don't let the door hit u on ur way out. he doesn't do much anymore

Kirk Maltby?

I want some of what you're smoking.

aww cmon man i don't sound that crazy do i? ok maybe its just because i got to meet him a few weeks ago, but i just think he's a lot better than what people give him credit for. I do want the younger guys to get chance though so i can see the other side of the argument.

I cannot think of a single reason for the Red Wings to sign Maltby -not even for depth with a two-way contract. He is finished and his spot is best filled by some youngster. Expereince is terribly overrated in a organization like the Red Wings. They have all the expereince they need. It is not a big deal if a rookie make a few mistakes in the regular season, it will be compensated by the energy and enthusiasm they usually bring to the lineup.

I don't have particular high thoughts on Lilja either, but an extra veteran defenseman at the right price is always nice to have come playoffs. I would however prefer to see the Red Wings pursue a Boynton or McKee type if possible, but the price tag would likely be higher.

Modano, I think would be an excellent fit in Detroit. The Red Wings have a history of succesful veteran signings and the center postion has in my opinion been a key factor for the winning teams of the past half-decade at least.

I cannot think of a single reason for the Red Wings to sign Maltby -not even for depth with a two-way contract. He is finished and his spot is best filled by some youngster. Expereince is terribly overrated in a organization like the Red Wings. They have all the expereince they need. It is not a big deal if a rookie make a few mistakes in the regular season, it will be compensated by the energy and enthusiasm they usually bring to the lineup.

I don't have particular high thoughts on Lilja either, but an extra veteran defenseman at the right price is always nice to have come playoffs. I would however prefer to see the Red Wings pursue a Boynton or McKee type if possible, but the price tag would likely be higher.

Modano, I think would be an excellent fit in Detroit. The Red Wings have a history of succesful veteran signings and the center postion has in my opinion been a key factor for the winning teams of the past half-decade at least.

You do understand, don't you, that your first paragraph and your last are complete polar opposites, right?

In the first you say how unneeded experience is, and in the last you say how great it would be to sign a veteran.

So, how do you really feel? Is it personality driven that you don't like Maltby and do like Modano? Stats?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

You do understand, don't you, that your first paragraph and your last are complete polar opposites, right?

In the first you say how unneeded experience is, and in the last you say how great it would be to sign a veteran.

So, how do you really feel? Is it personality driven that you don't like Maltby and do like Modano? Stats?

I think it moreso has to do with the fact that Modano would clearly have more to offer than Maltby, in terms of both production and experience. A hard working HOFer's word is probably taken more seriously and to heart than a hardworking grinder's.

In addition to that, I think we're all clear on the fact that Modano can contribute far more on the ice then Maltby can.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Well that's one way of interpreting it I guess, but my point is that Maltby has nothing to offer but experience. He is not nearly as efficient as he used to be. Modano sure adds experience but that would not be his prime contribution, he is still a more talented player than Maltby ever was and given Detroit's prior success with similar players (Larry Murphy, Steve Duchesne, Brett Hull etc) I have no reason to think it would not work out.

I want the Wings to give Maltby the one-year contract. Hear me out on this. If (and it's a BIG if) he actually out-plays the other guys, then he's the one that belongs on the team.

If he doesn't, and if he's willing to go to GR (yup- another big if) we can bring him up in the post season as a black ace. He may not play a game, and he wouldn't get his name on the Cup (thinking positive here!) unless they stuck him in for a game. BUT (and I do have a big butt- oh, wait...) if we get injuries during the playoffs, Kirk Maltby is one man I want to be able to plug into our lineup. He knows the system, he plays his best hockey during the playoffs, and he will be more rested having played the lesser schedule.

As long as he's willing to earn his spot- and everyone understands that he must EARN it, the only downside I can see to signing him is that he might be claimed off of waivers. Granted, it is mostly a downside to him and his family, and the die-hard Malts fans out there, but it would be a loss of a good black ace.

Can't wait to see my rep tomorrow. :D

I want the Wings to give Maltby the one-year contract. Hear me out on this. If (and it's a BIG if) he actually out-plays the other guys, then he's the one that belongs on the team.

If he doesn't, and if he's willing to go to GR (yup- another big if) we can bring him up in the post season as a black ace. He may not play a game, and he wouldn't get his name on the Cup (thinking positive here!) unless they stuck him in for a game. BUT (and I do have a big butt- oh, wait...) if we get injuries during the playoffs, Kirk Maltby is one man I want to be able to plug into our lineup. He knows the system, he plays his best hockey during the playoffs, and he will be more rested having played the lesser schedule.

As long as he's willing to earn his spot- and everyone understands that he must EARN it, the only downside I can see to signing him is that he might be claimed off of waivers. Granted, it is mostly a downside to him and his family, and the die-hard Malts fans out there, but it would be a loss of a good black ace.

:thumbup:

There are no young and old players, but good and bad players!

If Maltby plays better than the others, he should be on this team.

It's as simple as that.

:clap:

It is sad to see the players from the mid 90s team going out like they are. Maltby took one for the team last year by having surgery so I think Holland would at least give him a two way contract for it. I really hope if we do sign Maltby he plays with passion because I am pretty darn sure that this is the last hoora for Draper, Maltby, Ozzie, and maybe Lidstrom. Depending how hard the season is on Holmstrom's body him as well. :crybaby:

:clap:

It is sad to see the players from the mid 90s team going out like they are. Maltby took one for the team last year by having surgery so I think Holland would at least give him a two way contract for it. I really hope if we do sign Maltby he plays with passion because I am pretty darn sure that this is the last hoora for Draper, Maltby, Ozzie, and maybe Lidstrom. Depending how hard the season is on Holmstrom's body him as well. :crybaby:

Homer signed a 2-year, 35+ year-old contract. He and Kenny would not have agreed on that term unless Homer was absolutely certain he'll play both seasons. If he did retire after this year, the Wings would be on the hook for his $1.875 million cap hit in 2011/2012.

Maltby has more to offer than experience. The 2009 finals showed he can still agitate, to an extent, and he was a fixture on the Red Wings PK until he got injured.

I don't think that he should be handed a contract, but if he earns one, fair enough.

I would rather have him than Draper at this stage (doesn't play centre or on the PK anymore...).

I don't think I want Modano here anymore. For one, I'm tired with the "will he or won't he," but he's starting to look a bit like a mercenary. The fact that he's even considering teams like Minnesota and Anaheim prove he's not looking for the best chance for the Cup. He's probably just looking for a comfortable place to play hockey for one more year, which makes me question his heart at this stage.

He could have provided something extra for this team, but not if his heart's not in it. Time to lock down our other assets and wait til the trade deadline to make changes.

Homer signed a 2-year, 35+ year-old contract. He and Kenny would not have agreed on that term unless Homer was absolutely certain he'll play both seasons. If he did retire after this year, the Wings would be on the hook for his $1.875 million cap hit in 2011/2012.

If Homer ultimately can't play the second season due to injury, he'll be put down on LTIR for like the Flyers did with Mike Rathje. Rathje signed a five year deal with the Flyers and was only able to play the first two, spending the past three seasons listed on LTIR. The contract ended last season and Rathje chose to retire - had Philly won, Rathje might have gotten a ring and his name on the Cup.

Plus, Homer doesn't need to play all 82 games. He can miss half the season injured as long as he's healthy for the playoffs. If Homer misses half the season injured, that's about $1m that could be used in a deadline trade, right?