• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingfan19

Mitch Callahan

Rate this topic

Skill when we're talking about a 500+ goal scorer yeah. But I take a tough Drake player over most of our bottom 6 anyday. Guys like Miller aren't really needed or in the past guys like Kopecky. Sure they score a bit but I would rather on the 4th line a guy who scores 5, hits and will fight, then a guy who will score 10 because he is a bit more skilled but won't hit or fight.

I agree the few extra goals are not worth it if we can get a guy who isn't a liability and is more of an enforcer.

No one is saying trade Dats to make cap space for Boogard here, its getting rid of players hwo don't provide a whole lot for guys who have a role and play it well like Drake did in the past.

Not you but a few guys here might say that. I kid. . . I kid. But not by much.

I dont think the Wings will get destroyed in the regular season, but they arent a very physical team. Abdelkader will be a wrecking ball, as will Helm, and Eaves to some extent. But lets be real here, they arent Scott Stevens, we dont have any big guys who hit hard. Hopefully a healthy Dano will help that a bit, but as much as I love Bert, Franzen and Homer they dont hit as much as they should. On the back end, Stuart always finishes his checks, but Kronwall? Just cuz he's a huge open ice hitter sometimes, doesnt mean he's a hard hitter. If he'd finish all his checks, then he'd be feared. Ericsson is huge and fights, but I havent seen him throw a decent hit once. I dont know anything about Kindl, and we all know what we're getting in Lidstrom, Rafalski and Meech.

I mean, we're not that soft or that bad. And we wont be cheapshotted/scrumed up alot because Bertuzzi is the ultimate detterent, he comes around and people back off... unless your dumbass Bobby Ryan and then you face his wrath. But it couldnt hurt to get a couple of tougher guys as spares instead of the Millers/Meechs of the world.

The hits on Z and Ericsson were relatively clean, iirc. May was sadly scratched durring the game in which Laraque creamed Kronwall.

And Franzen is not tough. Tough men do not cower away in sheer terror when other, smaller men come after them on the ice. See Franzen v. Getslaf in the playoffs when Franzen made an embarassment out of the sweater - when the linesman is laughing at you, it means you're not tough. Watch Franzen when he's forced to fight - he just looks away and makes it clear that all he cares about is making sure that his precious face doesn't get touched. He's gutless, except when it comes to taking mouthguards from midgets, then he's Billy Badass.

Gee micah, did you lose your password or something? :lol:

Guest Heaten

Brad May and his 7 minutes per night did help this team to not get bullied. Mike Babcock noticed it durring May's tryout and that's why he was signed. The Brad May insurance policy was kept in the lineup until every game became critical (due to numerous losses when the team was injured) and it became worth the risk to sit him out. October and November games are not worth that risk.

Mr Nill also seems to disagree with you and believe that individual players do make a difference in toughness. He seems to identify toughness as a weakness on the current squad (rightfully so, I think) and states that a guy willing to crash, bang and fight will help address that.

I don't recall Wings getting bullied after May was a healthy scratch either. Also I don't remember Wings getting bullied in 2009 to the point where it hurt the team when Downey was a healthy scratch. After all, they did finish 1st in the central division that year, and charged all the way to the SCF.

If Nill thought Wings are in dyer trouble for toughness, I'd think he'd be advising Holland to avoid Modano and make a pitch to Boogard for $1.25/1.50 mil (or a player alike).

I'm all for toughness when it's needed and they help the team. Wings have the toughness they need to go all the way. The only hole I see is not having a reliable 6th defencemen. Sure, get one that hits like a brick, as long as he's a defensive defencemen like Mckee

After reading this I am very excited about this young man. Bringing a cutie like Duff around only makes him cooler. We could really use a guy like him now. I know he will be ready in a year or two but let's find a way to defend the likes of Lids, Z, and Raf. Howard can't do it all!

I guess regarding next season, teh wild card could be what our 6th dman spot does. We may sign someone like Hnidy and suddenly our team is pretty tough, maybe Ericcson is told he needs to be more physical and fight more and he does and suddenly this team is respectable. Janik may also end up in the lineup quite a bit which would be good because he will stick up for his teammates. Smith may surprise us as well if somehow he gets the spot. I mean he's a skilled player but he does have a bit of an edge and he fought a few times in the OPJHL including a fight against Greeenop which he won.

We shouldn't judge the toughness of our team quite yet when we still have the possibility of adding another tough player. Tough #6 dman (hnidy,exelby etc) + Abby full time + maybe a more physical tough Ericcson and this team wouldn't be that bad toughness wise. Not great by any means but much more respectable .

We shouldn't judge the toughness of our team quite yet when we still have the possibility of adding another tough player. Tough #6 dman (hnidy,exelby etc) + Abby full time + maybe a more physical tough Ericcson and this team wouldn't be that bad toughness wise. Not great by any means but much more respectable .

This would go along way in Ericsson getting some slack from fans, and perhaps a little more confidence for himself. He's about 6'4, 220lbs. Clear the net man, you're a beast!

I don't recall Wings getting bullied after May was a healthy scratch either. Also I don't remember Wings getting bullied in 2009 to the point where it hurt the team when Downey was a healthy scratch. After all, they did finish 1st in the central division that year, and charged all the way to the SCF.

If Nill thought Wings are in dyer trouble for toughness, I'd think he'd be advising Holland to avoid Modano and make a pitch to Boogard for $1.25/1.50 mil (or a player alike).

I'm all for toughness when it's needed and they help the team. Wings have the toughness they need to go all the way. The only hole I see is not having a reliable 6th defencemen. Sure, get one that hits like a brick, as long as he's a defensive defencemen like Mckee

That may be true but you know what else you didn't see? The wings weren't being bullies themselves. With May in the lineup the wings were as a whole playing tougher. Guys like Meech and Cleary fought and just watching you could tell they were dishing out more punishment.

You might argue this, but with May in the lineup I thought the wings really did to a bit more bullying to other teams then they did when he was sent down. Thats my observation. You could also see he was showing Abby the ropes of how to play tough like that game against Minnesota where Abby tried fighting Burns then dropped them with Clutterbuck. \i know you don't think he made much of a difference but did you honestly not notice this out of the wings? They did bully other teams more when they had May in the lineup.

If Adam Mair is still available in September I'd really like to see him in a Wings uniform, for cheap of course. Unfortunetly Holland seems to rather go after the Eaves and Millers of the world, who hit some and score more than Mair will, but they wont intimdate anyone.

If Adam Mair is still available in September I'd really like to see him in a Wings uniform, for cheap of course. Unfortunetly Holland seems to rather go after the Eaves and Millers of the world, who hit some and score more than Mair will, but they wont intimdate anyone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mair in Detroit.There's still plenty of grit out there.Kenny will pick someone up before the beginning of the season.

Agree on the Miller aspect more so than on the Eaves portion. Eaves proved his worth on the ice this year and brought a nice added burst to his line and has a more than acceptable wrist shot. Character guys such as Eaves are more valuable than ever given credit for.

Agree on the Miller aspect more so than on the Eaves portion. Eaves proved his worth on the ice this year and brought a nice added burst to his line and has a more than acceptable wrist shot. Character guys such as Eaves are more valuable than ever given credit for.

Agreed. Eaves is a solid 3rd liner on any team in this league. But Miller just is so blah for me.

Adam Mair wouldn't be bad. He reminds me a lot of Drake and actually gets some points. He hits, fights(not a whole lot) and is a solid player. I would like him here for sure.

for 750 K,Kenny really got a steal in re-signing Eaves.He's easily the most underrated player on the team.

I like how Eaves played last year for sure and Miller did his job well too in my opinion, i'm just saying Kenny hasn't found a good enforcer type that can also contribute since Dmac.

I like how Eaves played last year for sure and Miller did his job well too in my opinion, i'm just saying Kenny hasn't found a good enforcer type that can also contribute since Dmac.

He doesn't need too really I don't think. He should just find 2 other plays like Abby that can play and fight middleweights. Miller and Meech for BJ Crombeen would help. He can play and fight. Then we add a guy like Callahan in 2 years and sign a tough #6 Dman. I really don't think it would be hard to make this team tough considering all the older guys retiring in the next few seasons.

He doesn't need too really I don't think. He should just find 2 other plays like Abby that can play and fight middleweights. Miller and Meech for BJ Crombeen would help. He can play and fight. Then we add a guy like Callahan in 2 years and sign a tough #6 Dman. I really don't think it would be hard to make this team tough considering all the older guys retiring in the next few seasons.

Is Crombeen a RFA?I thought St.Louis had him under contract?

Crombeen would be awsome, no idea what St.Louis would want for him though.

If sutton isn't signed yet, chances are he coudl be available to fill the the grit role at a much lower price than expected. He doesn't fight much, but like john scott his large size allows him to make up for not being a great or consistent fighter, plus he hits better than any real fighter-type, yes including downey, who uk-redwing says delivered multiple twice-as-damaging-as-kronwall type hits every shift.

Edited by jollymania

If sutton isn't signed yet, chances are he coudl be available to fill the the grit role at a much lower price than expected. He doesn't fight much, but like john scott his large size allows him to make up for not being a great or consistent fighter, plus he hits better than any real fighter-type.

Yeah with every day that passes without signing anywhere,i think these guy's stocks drop little by little.I can't believe Sutton hasn't been signed anywhere yet.

Guest screwdahawks

The hits on Z and Ericsson were relatively clean, iirc. May was sadly scratched durring the game in which Laraque creamed Kronwall.

And Franzen is not tough. Tough men do not cower away in sheer terror when other, smaller men come after them on the ice. See Franzen v. Getslaf in the playoffs when Franzen made an embarassment out of the sweater - when the linesman is laughing at you, it means you're not tough. Watch Franzen when he's forced to fight - he just looks away and makes it clear that all he cares about is making sure that his precious face doesn't get touched. mo He's gutless, except when it comes to taking mouthguards from midgets, then he's Billy Badass.

LOL, maybe we should call him Francine or miss Franny cuz he sure ain't no swingin dick. 6'3" 220 lb ***** that plays smaller than Hudler. If he had Helm's guts he would be the best power forward in the league..

Edited by screwdahawks

LOL, maybe we should call him Francine or miss Franny cuz he sure ain't no swingin dick. 6'3" 220 lb ***** that plays smaller than Hudler. If he had Helm's guts he would be the best power forward in the league..

Its true, I dunno who gave you minus 2 but he definitely does not use his size like he should. If he played with the guts of Helm he would be an unstoppable force out there. saying he plays smaller then Hudler is a stretch but he definitely does play smaller then he should. Back before he was a goal scorer, he used to cream guys, now he doesn't

Guest screwdahawks

Its true, I dunno who gave you minus 2 but he definitely does not use his size like he should. If he played with the guts of Helm he would be an unstoppable force out there. saying he plays smaller then Hudler is a stretch but he definitely does play smaller then he should. Back before he was a goal scorer, he used to cream guys, now he doesn't

The Hudler comment was a bit of a stretch but hot damn can you imagine a combo of Helm and Franzen? :idea: All we can do is hope that Callahan has a growth spurt like Aubry over the next couple of years.