• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jett1913

It's Official: Turco to Hawks

Rate this topic

curious... why are so many in glee over the Hawks troubles??

its San-freakin- Jose that ousted/embarassed the Wings in the last playoffs. Kenny needs to shore up the defense and PK. :scared:

That series was a joke. They only "embarassed" us by letting us out-score them in the series. The series was even but at crucial times in every game there were ridiculous calls that the Sharks capitalized on. I'm tired of hearing abuot how the Sharks wasted the Wings. Yeah, we lost in five games, but they were insanely CLOSE games almost all decided by the refs. SO nobody cares about San Jose.

Fine. Then you're just clueless. Either way.

I bow to your wisdom.

I'm clueless since I'm not following along with your logic of automatically writing Marty Turco off? He had a defense in front of him last year made up of the likes of Trevor Daley, Robidas, Niskanen, Skrastins, Fistric, Woywitka, & Grossman.....lots of big names there. Niemi had Campbell, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and the Norris winner - Keith in front of him.....yet Niemi and Turco had the same save percentage. In fact, Turco's was a tick higher.

Turco has been quoted as saying that he had multi-year offers but wanted to wait to see what went down in Chicago because he wanted the chance to be there.

Putting Chicago's defense in front of a guy that wants the job and has something to prove, could turn out to be a great move on their part.....or it might not. I'm just not so quick to count the chickens before they hatch and hand the division back over to Detroit. Howard has 1 good season under his belt.....can we think of any other goalies that have put up 1 and done numbers lately?

Yet I'm clueless.

Guest screwdahawks

SOoooooooooooo, now that s***cago has moved Niemi to their UFA list and Huet to their non-roster list they now have 3.1M to fill out the rest of their roster. I like our chances against them this season.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Fine. Then you're just clueless. Either way.

You showed him.

Guest Crymson

Neither is 2.75 GAA and .914......but we're banking our future on it.

Last year was Howard's rookie season. He was also victimized by more than a few horrible calls in the series against the Sharks. Having three 5v3 goals scored against one really skews the numbers, and it's not fair to the goalie to fault him for that.

Turco's numbers were bolstered by several strong playoff performances well in the past. His last playoff experience was in '08, and he played absolutely horribly against the Wings in the WCF. He has gotten older, and his abilities have seen a very clear decline.

Edited by Crymson

I bow to your wisdom.

I'm clueless since I'm not following along with your logic of automatically writing Marty Turco off? He had a defense in front of him last year made up of the likes of Trevor Daley, Robidas, Niskanen, Skrastins, Fistric, Woywitka, & Grossman.....lots of big names there. Niemi had Campbell, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and the Norris winner - Keith in front of him.....yet Niemi and Turco had the same save percentage. In fact, Turco's was a tick higher.

Turco has been quoted as saying that he had multi-year offers but wanted to wait to see what went down in Chicago because he wanted the chance to be there.

Putting Chicago's defense in front of a guy that wants the job and has something to prove, could turn out to be a great move on their part.....or it might not. I'm just not so quick to count the chickens before they hatch and hand the division back over to Detroit. Howard has 1 good season under his belt.....can we think of any other goalies that have put up 1 and done numbers lately?

Yet I'm clueless.

What does any of this have to do with your claim that the Wings are banking their future on Howard?

What does any of this have to do with your claim that the Wings are banking their future on Howard?

Isn't this upcoming season, the future? Aren't the Wings counting on Jimmy to handle the majority of the goal-tending workload? With Babcock's seemingly lack of confidence in Ozzie, if Jimmy bombs....chances are the Wings do as well.

Isn't this upcoming season, the future? Aren't the Wings counting on Jimmy to handle the majority of the goal-tending workload? With Babcock's seemingly lack of confidence in Ozzie, if Jimmy bombs....chances are the Wings do as well.

As of now, Jimmy is the starter next season. That's all. You are the one blowing it out of proportion.

Last year was Howard's rookie season. He was also victimized by more than a few horrible calls in the series against the Sharks. Having three 5v3 goals scored against one really skews the numbers, and it's not fair to the goalie to fault him for that.

Turco's numbers were bolstered by several strong playoff performances well in the past. His last playoff experience was in '08, and he played absolutely horribly against the Wings in the WCF. He has gotten older, and his abilities have seen a very clear decline.

True....but if we break down the series versus the Wings, Turco really only had 2 bad games.

Game 1...4-1 loss. 3 power play goals against, 1 of them a 5 on 3. And this was coming off one of the longer games in NHL history against SJ. According to the recap, the whole Dallas team looked fatigued. Turco's fault?

Game 2....2-1 loss. 1 power play goal against. Stopped 32 of 34 shots

Game 3....he sucked

Game 4....3-1 victory. Stopped 33 of 34 shots.

Game 5....2-1 victory. Stopped 38 of 39 shots.

Game 6....he sucked

Since then...yeah, his numbers have been way down but the Dallas team in front of him hasn't exactly been a powerhouse either. I just feel he's got something left in the tank and that Chicago's goal-tending woes might not be as bleak as some are making them out to be.

Wins, losses and GAA have more to do with the team playing in front of you. The most important goaltending stat is save %.

Goalies that face low shot totals generally have a worse save%.

No question that Turco is a better deal, but he is 35 and he's been on a generally downward trend since the lockout. Niemi was a rookie who had a very good season. It's too early to say he's just an average goalie. He could become one of the leagues best. I still think Chicago gave up their future goalie for a bit of relief this year.

Doesn't feel like this just sealed our division title... I mean the other teams will be no slouch but the wins that Turco will deliever to us at the Joe have to bolster our position. I think we finish third in the conference.

Not to mention that not many players in the league know Turco better than Modano. Next season is gonna be amazing. The divisional battles are gonna be awesome throughout. I'd like to see these teams make it in the West next season. In no particular order:

1. Wings

2. Hawks

3. Stars (be some wicked drama if Modano, Turco and the Stars were in the playoff mix)

4. Kings

5. Nucks

6. Sharks

7. Flames

8. Yotes (is that team still intact? If so I'd like to see them earn another shot)

Goalies that face low shot totals generally have a worse save%.

As they should. 1 mistake when you face 14 shots is a save percentage of 0.928. 1 mistake in 28 is 0.964. Same GAA, sharply different save percentage.

Not to mention that not many players in the league know Turco better than Modano. Next season is gonna be amazing. The divisional battles are gonna be awesome throughout. I'd like to see these teams make it in the West next season. In no particular order:

1. Wings

2. Hawks

3. Stars (be some wicked drama if Modano, Turco and the Stars were in the playoff mix)

4. Kings

5. Nucks

6. Sharks

7. Flames

8. Yotes (is that team still intact? If so I'd like to see them earn another shot)

Matthew Lombardi to Nashville

Chicago just made an huge mistake, Turco has been scrub for the better part of two years. We kept waiting for him to return to normal it never happened and it will never

1. Wings

2. Hawks

4. Kings

5. Nucks

6. Sharks

7. Flames

I'd like to see that too but ugh don't get your hopes up. All we haven't got any better this off-season unless you count addition by subtraction with Turco and we were terrible last season.

After having not qualified for the playoffs last season, I seriously doubt that Dallas will contend for 3rd overall in the West with basically the same team as last season. Replace Turco, Auld, and Modano with Lehtonen, Burish, and Raycroft doesn't exactly spell major overhaul.

After having not qualified for the playoffs last season, I seriously doubt that Dallas will contend for 3rd overall in the West with basically the same team as last season. Replace Turco, Auld, and Modano with Lehtonen, Burish, and Raycroft doesn't exactly spell major overhaul.

Note the "in no particular order" disclaimer. I don't expect Dallas to make it, but it would be cool given the circumstances with Modano and Turco.