• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Jett1913

Jett1913

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Marty Turco is 1-9-2 in 13 Games Played at Joe Louis Arena. 3.31 Goals Against Average with a Save Percentage of .884.

*ahem* ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Jett1913, 02 August 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#2 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Poor Hawks. It's just sad.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 02 August 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#3 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:26 AM

I don't like it because Turco is a lot better than Niemi. Hopefully it doesn't work out for em though in addition to his struggles in Detroit :D.

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

This is actually a VERY smart move by the Hawks...

with that said, you can automatically chalk up 3 wins for us now... I mean, he does have to play at the Joe for those 3 games :D

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Turco/Huet tandem = Detroit success.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#7 Jett1913

Jett1913

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk

merry christmas!!

#8 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

Huet will get waived and his cap hit will be gone.

#9 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

Turco really? He might have been good enough to get it done with the team they had last year? This years team? not a chance in hell. They throw away a young goalie they know can play at a high level to save a million bucks?

Welcome back central division title, glad to see it was only a one year departure from your home :lol:

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#10 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

How are those repeat chances looking now with a s***ty ass goalie with a rookie as backup. oh but they still have their "core" of great players yea with a bunch of scrub rookies and cast offs from other teams. who do they still have from this core Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Kieth, Seabrook, Campbell, Kjalmerson. Soooooo they can ice a championship team with that???? OO wait I forgot they still have the saving grace in thomas kopecky. I can't believe they had the gonads to post that stupid story on NHL.com without dying from laughter.

#11 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'm just surprised that Turco bit on this one after rejecting the Philly deal for more money.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

I'm just surprised that Turco bit on this one after rejecting the Philly deal for more money.

I'm still shocked by his choice. You'd think after this offseason, Philly would have a better shot of reaching the Finals again than Chicago.

#13 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

I read elsewhere that he wanted a one-year deal this contract with a good team (to get his stats up) before signing a long-term deal next offseason. I don't know if this is true though- it seems a lot of players priced themselves too high at the beginning of free agency.

This isn't a bad move by Chicago at all. This is probably the best they could have done given the circumstances.

#14 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Turco probably thought he had a better chance of not only playing for a contender but making more money as well. On top of Philly, other doors have closed since their offer and he probably made a "panic" decision. Chicago isn't going to be garbage, but they'll very likely be worse than Philly.

He's probably kicking himself for not signing when he had the chance.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#15 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

The Chicago Blackhawks have walked away from the $2.75 million contract that was awarded to Antti Niemi in arbitration, which makes the Stanley Cup-winning goalie an unrestricted free agent.

Instead, the Blackhawks have signed veteran netminder Marty Turco to a one-year, $1.3 million contract.

The team confirmed the goalie shuffle in a conference call on Monday.

"Of course it would be a loss (to lose Niemi), but the nature of sports is that change does happen," said Blackhawks' general manager Stan Bowman last Thursday, prior to the arbitration award. "My job is to try and find a way to make things work if that's a necessity. You kind of have to embrace change and realize it's an opportunity for somebody else."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318

Edited by darkmanx, 02 August 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#16 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

This is actually a VERY smart movedesperation move by the Hawks...

with that said, you can automatically chalk up 3 wins for us now... I mean, he does have to play at the Joe for those 3 games :D

Once the clock hit 0.00 and they won the cup there hasn't been one thing thats happened with that franchise that has been smart. Every move they have made has been out of pure necessity. They sold out to win the cup and I will give them credit for one thing...it worked. I know around here we get mad that we dont win the cup every year but I will take what we have had over the last 15+ years over what they had for one year any day of the week. In my 20 years as a Wings fan it has been awesome to grow up watching guys who stuck with the team for years ..(Yzerman, Shanny, Lidstrom, Draper, Maltby, Ozzie, Homer). The fans in Chicago were just starting to become fans of some of these guys and they are already out the door. Granted they still have some great young talent there but we will just have to see how things pan out around there.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329318

I find it funny that the story says Niemi "led" Chicago to the cup, when they basically won it in spite of him... he was horrible in the finals...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#18 Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Turco really? He might have been good enough to get it done with the team they had last year? This years team? not a chance in hell. They throw away a young goalie they know can play at a high level to save a million bucks?

Welcome back central division title, glad to see it was only a one year departure from your home :lol:

How are those repeat chances looking now with a s***ty ass goalie with a rookie as backup. oh but they still have their "core" of great players yea with a bunch of scrub rookies and cast offs from other teams. who do they still have from this core Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Kieth, Seabrook, Campbell, Kjalmerson. Soooooo they can ice a championship team with that???? OO wait I forgot they still have the saving grace in thomas kopecky. I can't believe they had the gonads to post that stupid story on NHL.com without dying from laughter.

Why do you guys not understand that Niemi was an average goalie? Oh he won the CUp, so he must be great.

Turco @ 1.3 m >>>>>>>>>>>>> Niemi at 2.75 and it's not even close at all.

We replaced an average goalie with another average one. What devastation.

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

Why do you guys not understand that Niemi was an average goalie? Oh he won the CUp, so he must be great.

Turco @ 1.3 m >>>>>>>>>>>>> Niemi at 2.75 and it's not even close at all.

We replaced an average goalie with another average one. What devastation.

An average goalie who got a hot streak replaced with an aging average goalie.

#20 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

To save a little over a million dollars in capspace rather then keeping what could be your dynasty goalie doesn't make much sense to me. Hawks have had to embrace the fact of change sure, but paying your number 1 starting goalie who just won you a cup 2.75 million seems more then fair. I guess Niemi wasn't apart of "their core" which confuses me since being a starter, 26 year old stanley cup champion usually say's otherwise.
Hell I should just be stoked they just replaced Niemi with Detroit's goal lamp.