• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

The single biggest scapegoat of the Red Wings in the last 20+ years...

Rate this topic

Every single Wings' goalie ever.

Robert Lang

Boyd Devereaux

Brett Lebda

Kopecky will always grind my gears.

Nothing infuriated me more than the Wings down 1 or 2 goals in the third, and Babcock puts in Kopecky (while sitting Hudler) who promptly flops around on the ice like a fish out of water for his entire shift.

K... Point was to people in here probably was that he was a Red Wing and won us the Stanley Cup in 2002. I don't see anything really shady or out of whack about "how he became a Wing" if this is the case. I don't think a lot of people in here are going to care all that badly about how it "all went down" or whatever.

Yeah. That's the point. Most laud him FOR "how it all went down", while being totally unaware that it didn't go down that way, at all. And THAT is the point.

And while most Wings fans may not consider it "shady", how Dom became a Wing....

ALL Sabres fans consider it VERY shady. Matter of perspective.

Regardless, it's not about how "shady" one considers it. It's about the fact that so many "remember" it, or in this case MISREMEMBER it, in a way in which it never happened.

They have, effectively, revised history with their "mismemory" of the event. That is the point I'm trying to make.

Nope, I don't remember it.

LOL. I figured as much. Ask a Buffalo Sabres fan. I'm sure they'll remember it quite vividly.

Did you even read the blog post I linked?

Edited by Outsider

Yeah. That's the point. Most laud him FOR "how it all went down", while being totally unaware that it didn't go down that way, at all. And THAT is the point.

And while most Wings fans may not consider it "shady", how Dom became a Wing....

ALL Sabres fans consider it VERY shady. Matter of perspective.

Regardless, it's not about how "shady" one considers it. It's about the fact that so many "remember" it, or in this case MISREMEMBER it, in a way in which it never happened.

They have, effectively, revised history with their "mismemory" of the event. That is the point I'm trying to make.

That happens with pretty much anything in life. You need to figure out what you want to believe or not.

LOL. I figured as much. Ask a Buffalo Sabres fan. I'm sure they'll remember it quite vividly.

Did you even read the blog post I linked?

Yep, I read it.

I wanted to say scapegoat is the wrong word here, then I looked up the definition:

–noun a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place.

The word gets thrown around to easily but at the time there were people that blamed him for the early playoff loses(maybe they do even now). Joseph didn't cost the Wings their offense did. Maybe Lewis is a better choice, you could get arguments on either side.

As much as I loved what Hasek did for us in 02 I equally disliked what he did to the team when he came back. He created a goalie problem when there shouldn't have been one. Cujo has every right to hate his time here.

That happens with pretty much anything in life. You need to figure out what you want to believe or not.

With all due respect, I'm not the type who even attempts to "figure out" whether or not I want to "believe" something I know for a fact is an outright falsehood.

Guest Shoreline

Primeau was not a scapegoat. Cujo was. Hell, Vernon was too at one point. Osgood at several. Since the late 90s when I can remember being involved in hockey discussions online (few to no hockey discussions in Cali as it is, when I was that age, and that long ago) that included other Wings fans, the biggest scapegoats I've seen are Fedorov, Cujo, Osgood, and Lilja. One of those I agree with. ;)

Most Red Wing fans "beef" with Primeau was his attitude, and the fact that he felt he should be centering 1 of the top 2 lines; 3rd line center was beneath him as was playing wing on 1 the top 2 lines...He got his ice time when he was sent packing to Hartford for Shanahan.

Yup - this right here.

3rd line center is beneath Filppula too according to most of this board. Filppula is a borderline top six forward, while Primeau was a legit power forward when he made comments to that effect. Think we could trade Filppula and Brad Stuart for Jarome Iginla?

No, that kind of attitude shouldn't fly. But at the same time, his comments were more about getting more playing time at center than about being a third line center. Primeau probably would have been fine as the third line center on this year's team because he'd get 2-3 more minutes at center. That was his issue.

3rd line center is beneath Filppula too according to most of this board. Filppula is a borderline top six forward, while Primeau was a legit power forward when he made comments to that effect. Think we could trade Filppula and Brad Stuart for Jarome Iginla?

No, that kind of attitude shouldn't fly. But at the same time, his comments were more about getting more playing time at center than about being a third line center. Primeau probably would have been fine as the third line center on this year's team because he'd get 2-3 more minutes at center. That was his issue.

Comparing apples to oranges, aren't we? I fail to see the correlation between what Primeau said in 1996 and this year's squad.