• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.
Malts in GR = a great mentor for our PROSPECTS
Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.
so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

couldnt agree more.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#62 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=537026

Maltby deal finalized.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#63 Wings_Fan_in_KC

Wings_Fan_in_KC

Honorary Grind Line Member

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

Maltby can be a great mentor to the kids in GR. He can show 'em a lot of tips and tricks, maybe some "get under the skin" tactics too. He was always one of the best pests in the NHL making guys that played against him come unhinged on the ice. It was awesome to see over these last 13-14 years.

As a member of the Grind Line (Maltby, Draper, Kocur) and Grind Line Mark II (Maltby, Draper, McCarty) he has played a significant role in this frnachises history and success. To hear anyone who claims to be a Wings fan diss him......that's just utter bulls*** and I'm ashamed to be reading it.

#64 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Maltby can be a great mentor to the kids in GR. He can show 'em a lot of tips and tricks, maybe some "get under the skin" tactics too. He was always one of the best pests in the NHL making guys that played against him come unhinged on the ice. It was awesome to see over these last 13-14 years.

As a member of the Grind Line (Maltby, Draper, Kocur) and Grind Line Mark II (Maltby, Draper, McCarty) he has played a significant role in this frnachises history and success. To hear anyone who claims to be a Wings fan diss him......that's just utter bulls*** and I'm ashamed to be reading it.

I couldnt believe how much he got under Crosbys skin the entire series in the 09 playoffs, I guess Sid is a sensitive little flower.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Respect the history and be grateful for what he did in the past, however it's 2010, and things needs to keep rollin'. Inject a few young guns every year and replace with the oldest players that doesn't bring anything to the team, if they gotta be so loyal they can offer them a job in the organization like they did with chelios and fischer, yzerman etc previously...

Seriously, People need to wake up.

Edited by mindfly, 08 September 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#66 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

The Malts will rise again!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#67 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

Respect the history and be grateful for what he did in the past, however it's 2010, and things needs to keep rollin'. Inject a few young guns every year and replace with the oldest players that doesn't bring anything to the team, if they gotta be so loyal they can offer them a job in the organization like they did with chelios and fischer, yzerman etc previously...

Dude, the Wings have kept a vet winger in GR for the last 5 years or so. This is nothing new.
*this space for rent*

#68 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

It's only one player, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus reading Holland's comments from a few days ago, Maltby will really only be in Detroit if there's an injury.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#69 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

Reading some of these responses makes me glad Kenny is the GM and not the members of this forum.
Malts in GR = a great mentor for our PROSPECTS
Malts on the Detroit bench during the playoffs = added depth, experienced leadership, and another PKer.
so to those of you complaining about the deal, please understand Kenny is better than you. That is all.

oh its the classic can't disagree with anything holland does defense! such a great counter point!

how dare anyone think that its time to let a player go that has not had more than 11 points in a season since the lockout and is a combined -34 since the lockout?!?!?! i respect what maltby did, but there comes a point where you need to say goodbye to players. there are other ways for an organization to be loyal and supportive of their long time players aside from giving them contracts several years after they hit their expiration dates.

maybe maltby can be a good mentor in grand rapids by teaching our prospects how to play dirty and then not stand up for themselves and hide behind linesmen??? thats a good skill for any young player!

and maltby in the playoffs? thats just scary! if he is on our bench, then we might as well be ready for a long summer because it will be due to about 10 significant injuries. leadership? how many hundreds of playoff games does our roster have without him? PK? how many forwards are ahead of him on the pk depth chart at this point?

regardless of opinion on this signing, even holland acknowledges that the odds of maltby playing in detroit are slim. why not just do the right thing and retire?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#70 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:47 PM

oh its the classic can't disagree with anything holland does defense! such a great counter point!

how dare anyone think that its time to let a player go that has not had more than 11 points in a season since the lockout and is a combined -34 since the lockout?!?!?! i respect what maltby did, but there comes a point where you need to say goodbye to players. there are other ways for an organization to be loyal and supportive of their long time players aside from giving them contracts several years after they hit their expiration dates.

maybe maltby can be a good mentor in grand rapids by teaching our prospects how to play dirty and then not stand up for themselves and hide behind linesmen??? thats a good skill for any young player!

and maltby in the playoffs? thats just scary! if he is on our bench, then we might as well be ready for a long summer because it will be due to about 10 significant injuries. leadership? how many hundreds of playoff games does our roster have without him? PK? how many forwards are ahead of him on the pk depth chart at this point?

regardless of opinion on this signing, even holland acknowledges that the odds of maltby playing in detroit are slim. why not just do the right thing and retire?

He's going to be in Grand Rapids or in the press box and not taking any time from our young studs. So what's the problem here? He's not going to count against our cap or anything negative besides Illitch paying this guy tens of grands to play in the AHL.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#71 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Fine by me.

The guy scored 50 goals in junior.

Posted Image

:P

Edited by tdinc, 08 September 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#72 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Kenny isn't perfect, he makes mistakes/questionable descisions every season, remember that.

I would say this maltby signing is one mistake, but if they win the cup in june, I can't complain.

Bringing Kirk Maltby back isn't going to make or break the Wings' season.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#73 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

Nobody needs to wake up. As stated, and barring injuries or unless Maltby just summons the god of lightning, he's playing in Grand Rapids to start. You've said the same thing about 26 times in this thread. We get it.

Because the right thing to you might not be the right thing to him, and probably isn't here. Who are we to tell people when they should stop playing? I sure as hell would want to do something I love doing and making money for it as long as I could, even if the payoff gets lower/lower every year and my value or time doing it is getting slimmer.

#74 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Welcome Back Malt-Liquor.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#75 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

2 way deal? Double Malt.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#76 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

Maltby signs 2 way deal

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#77 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

Maltby signs 2 way deal

erm... posted this already. In this thread.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#78 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

I really don't see any downsides to this signing.

#79 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

He's a good mentor, that's all we need from him now. The guy has always had good hockey sense, but now, its just that his body can't keep up with the game.

I'm glad we brought him back, he'll give those kids a few lessons defensively.

#80 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

I really don't see any downsides to this signing.

Yep. It's a one-year deal, and it's a two-way deal as well. If the Wings don't see any use for him during the season, he'll be sent to GR, help mentor some of the young guys there, and if there's a position that Maltby would fit, he'll be back to fill that in. It's a win-win situation.
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age