• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Player in SEL gets suspended for this hit

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

I like many parts about the SEL but as far as hit goes, NOOOO...

What do ya'll have to say about the hit?

Btw, He's suspended until further notice so to speak... ugh.

I can understand where they are coming from (in this day and age). He started from the bottom corner, raced across the ice and targeted him on side wall, left his feet and looks as though he targeted his head. I wouldn't call it getting back to defend either and his teammate was doing that job. He following the player from behind and then hit him when he turned.

Edit - that said, charging penalty probably would have made more sense than a suspension.

Edited by toby91_ca

im not sure what is more ridiculous about that video. a suspension for that hit, or all the s*** they have all over the ice and uniforms.

You have to remember the SEL is a Euro league and a fair few of the Euro leagues are pretty tough on more physical aspects of the game. That said I've seen poor calls made in the NHL over physical aspects of the game (eg. Kronwall's hit on Havlat). Considering #63 appears to jump into the check against the boards and considering the less physical nature of some Euro leagues his ban is not suprising.

As for "all the s*** they have all over the ice and uniforms" I'm not sure you understand just how dominant soccer is as a sport outside of NA and just how much scratching around other sports have to do to secure sponsorship to fund their teams. Soccer teams have all the plum sponsorships in Europe, most other sports are left with the scraps and hence need many of them, thus multiple sponsorship logos all over the ice and kit.

Going back to the type of hockey played in Europe for a moment though, not all leagues play the same. The EIHL which the team local to me (Nottingham Panthers) plays in is very much a NAesque league (probably pegged at about ECHL level), full of hard hitting play and featuring this year a whole raft of minor league enforcers (Alex Penner, Mike Hoffman, Sean McMorrow, Cedric Bernier and Jeff Smith amongst other) for the fight fans.

I'm not saying this particular hit warrants a 2 game suspension...but an inch to the right could have yielded a lot more.

I think these hits are the ones that have to be removed along with the "lateral back pressure" hits. Hits to the head in general should be eliminated. Back in the 70's and 80's players went for the chest or legs with their hits. You can get an artificial knee or hip and separated shoulders and broken sternums can be repaired. Try going to your doctor and asking for a brain replacement....

Had this player hit on target the opposing player would, at the very least, be knocked out and suffer a mild concussion. The league is sending a message early in saying "don't jump, don't target someone's head"...I'd be pissed if i was suspended by hitting someone like that and receiving two games but i can definitely see the leagues rationale behind this one.

Guest mindfly

I thought the Finnish were supposed to be the tough Scandenavians? A suspension for that seems very silly. Does anyone know if the player was injured and left the game?

Yeah he left after that shift, he got a concussion and no timetable for a comeback

So? How can you make a hit without stopping skating to set up? Stopping skating has nothing to do with whether a hit is considered a charge or not.

if you coast an x amount of feet it does, and you don't need to stop skating to make a hit. The case for charging in this instance would be that it appears the player left his feet.

I can *sort of see where they are coming from if I look really hard. He left his feet and made initial contact with the other players head, but it wasn't as severe as many hits ive seen. In the NHL that would go unpunished unless the ref called him for Charging. Not to mention it resulted in a goal....double burn! Oh and I guess we can take it that there was no initial penalty on the play, because they got the puck and scored with no whistle...right?

Suspended indefinitely? Ouch.....

I thought the Finnish were supposed to be the tough Scandenavians? A suspension for that seems very silly. Does anyone know if the player was injured and left the game?

What do Finns have to do with a Swedish game?

And I can kinda understand the suspension I guess. He definitely jumped and it looked like he was going for the head. I'd be pissed if someone got suspended for it here, but in a less physical league I can understand it.

Edited by SeeinRed

Couldn't tell if he left his feet before the hit or as a result of the hit, but that looked like shoulder contact to the face/head to me.

The angle of the hit was clean, and it could've been pretty much a clean hit, but contact was very poorly executed and imo 2 games at least seems deserved. I love hitting, but if players are gonna do it and they can't get it right to prevent head/neck injuries, give them time off 'til they do.

I'm fairly certain the result to the player supports the fact that hit him right in the braincase.

Edit: Watching a few more times, it looks like he went off his feet as a result of the hit, but his shoulder was already lined up with the guy's head. And the guy's head wasn't down, either. Bad decision, poor execution.

Edited by Datsyerberger