• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

The NHL Injury Thread

Rate this topic

From Delaware County Daily Times:

According to multiple team sources, Laperriere has been told by two doctors – one in Pittsburgh and one in Philadelphia – that it would be in his best interest to retire from the sport in which he has made a living for the past 15 seasons.

From TSN:

The Calgary Flames placed forward Ales Kotalik on the long term injured reserve list Thursday with a knee injury.

Not good for them .

Other news -

The dramatic scene of Atlanta Thrashers goalie Ondrej Pavelec losing consciousness on the ice during the team's home opener on Friday and being rushed off the ice on a stretcher to the hospital looks like it might end in a diagnosis as simple as a fainting spell.

The Thrashers released a statement on Monday saying that Pavelec was released from the hospital and that preliminary results indicate that he had a neurocardiogenic syncope episode -- explained parenthetically as a "type of fainting spell" -- that caused the goalie to hit his head on the ice, which led to a concussion and subsequent loss of consciousness.

He was cleared to return home following a battery of tests on his heart and brain. As a precautionary measure, the statement said, Pavelec will continue to undergo testing on his heart and blood as well as genetic testing.

"If all goes as expected," the statement said, "he will be medically cleared following those results and will be available to resume playing at the conclusion of any symptoms from his concussion."

Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay was asked if it seemed like Pavelec simply fainted.

"It sounds like it," he said. "Really, when it happened, nobody saw it. It was very hard to have a comment on it, but when I talked to him from Tampa [where the Thrashers played on Saturday], he really sounded good, very alert, was really upbeat. Obviously, he was wondering quite what happened. But his attitude sounded great on the phone and he watched our game, so good news so far."

So, perhaps it was a case of a 23-year-old goalie getting an adrenaline rush during the opening minutes of the team's home opener that caused him to faint?

"It's that home opener, it's been a big grind to get there, who knows," Ramsay said. "Sometimes you react to it. Let's hope that everything is normal and will continue to be normal and he'll be right back at it."

Ramsay did not say what grade Pavelec's concussion was, but added, "I don't think it was a bad one because he was watching the game that night, he was talking to me about it and was quite aware of what had gone on afterwards."

"Yeah, I talked to him yesterday, went out to dinner and he seemed fine and was joking around. He actually made some jokes, so that was good. After a serious thing like that, that's what you want from a guy. You don't know what to expect, but he seems to be doing pretty well. He's not able to drive right now, so it looks like I'm going to be his personal driver for a while. That's the bad news for me. But it's good." -- Boris Valabik Ramsay refused to put a possible timetable on Pavelec's return. The Thrashers had recalled goalie Drew MacIntyre from Chicago (AHL) to back up Chris Mason on Saturday. On Monday, the Thrashers returned MacIntyre to Chicago and were expected to recall goalie Peter Mannino to meet up with them for their three-game Western road trip that begins on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Following his release from the hospital, Pavelec had dinner on Sunday with teammate Boris Valabik, who said the goalie was in good spirits.

"Yeah, I talked to him yesterday, went out to dinner and he seemed fine and was joking around," Valabik said. "He actually made some jokes, so that was good. After a serious thing like that, that's what you want from a guy. You don't know what to expect, but he seems to be doing pretty well. He's not able to drive right now, so it looks like I'm going to be his personal driver for a while. That's the bad news for me. But it's good."

Pavelec had his equipment cut open by emergency personnel on Friday, which Valabik said was among the goalie's biggest concerns.

"If the most you're worried about is your equipment being cut in half, that's good news. That's what he was most upset about, so that's the good news," Valabik said.

He added the scariest part for his friend -- Valabik is a Slovak and Pavelec is a Czech -- was waking up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and temporarily being unable to feel his legs.

"The thing he told me is he couldn't feel his legs, so that definitely scared him for sure, but then the feelings came back and he's feeling just like normal," Valabik said. "He's got a little bump on the back of his head from hitting the ice but at least they know it's a concussion and he seems to be doing well. … It was good to see him because that was a really, really tough moment."

Valabik said that both Pavelec's mother and girlfriend, who live in the Czech Republic, happen to be nurses and have expressed a desire to come visit him in Atlanta.

In terms of the on-ice situation for Atlanta, it could be all Chris Mason all the time for the short-term. The goalie played the final 57:35 on Friday and then played all of Atlanta's game the next day in Tampa. On the coming road trip, the Thrashers play back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday in Anaheim and San Jose.

"Yeah, that's what I would kind of envision," Mason said. "A couple of years ago I played the last 34 or 35 games in a row [with St. Louis in 2008-09]. So I've had experience handling that kind of workload before. The big thing there is just managing your rest and making sure that you're not going crazy on the off days and things like that. It's sort of the beginning of the season and the players have to do it, so there's no reason goalies can't do it, too."

Edited by Hockeytown0001

In other concussion news (which is one of the less pleasant things one can type), John Tavares is dealing with a concussion as well. It has not been a good season for the Islanders and injuries. Plus, in an unusual, Twilight Zone-esque twist of fate, Rick DiPietro is actually healthy. With concussions you never know how long somebody will be out, but hopefully his return is sooner rather than later.

From Newark Star-Ledger:

It was determined that Devils winger Brian Rolston has a sports hernia and he will undergo surgery Thursday morning in Philadelphia.

Rolston, who suffered the injury Saturday night in Washington, will be placed in long-term injured reserve and wil be sidelined 4-6 weeks, according to general manager Lou Lamoriello.

Share 7 Comments That will free up more than $5 million in cap space, allowing the Devils to recall some players to fill out their NHL roster

This is going to hurt the Rangers.

That sting wasn't limited to just this game. Injuries to top scorer Marian Gaborik and captain Chris Drury will be felt for a whole lot longer.Gaborik separated a shoulder in the second period and will be lost for 2-to-3 weeks. Drury, who had been out since breaking his left index finger during a training camp scrimmage, broke the finger again - in a different place - and will be sidelined for six weeks."If he is going to be out for any extended period of time, that just means the other 22 guys are going to have to step up," forward Brandon Dubinsky said of Gaborik, who led the Rangers with 42 goals and 86 points last season. [Read the full article]

From TSN:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that defenseman Matt Walker will undergo surgery on his right hip and be out 10- to-12 weeks.

From TSN:

The Phoenix Coyotes have placed center Martin Hanzal on injured reserve after he suffered a lower-body injury during Sunday's loss in Anaheim.

Quick hits on the Kings five-game road trip that begins tonight in Phoenix.

The loss of Kings defenseman Drew Doughty to an upper-body injury comes as the team begins a difficult stretch. After tonight’s game at Phoenix (1-2-1), the remaining four opponents, Colorado, Minnesota, Chicago and Dallas, have a combined record of 15-7-2 heading into Thursday. Three of them lead, or are tied for the lead, in their respective divisions.

Peter Harrold will replace Doughty in tonight’s lineup. Harrold is a serviceable replacement on the blue line but hardly an offensive threat, totaling only 22 points in 145 NHL games. This will also mark his first appearance of the season.

Bruins' Boychuk out 4 weeks

Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli announced Sunday that defenseman Johnny Boychuk suffered a slight fracture to his left ulna (bone in forearm) in the first period of the Bruins' 3-2 loss to the New York Rangers at TD Garden on Saturday.

Boychuk is expected to be sidelined for approximately four weeks.