• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Kyle Quincey

Rate this topic

I guess he is having a terrible season, but I still wish we kept him over Meech and Lebda.

Holland knew that long term Meech and Lebda didn't matter. Ericsson was above them in the depth chart going forward and Kindl was almost out of AHL eligibility. Throw Smith into the mix and Quincey was an afterthought.

Doc, there is one problem with your statement.

Quincey is a good player, but it wasn't a misstep. He did nothing in his entire career as a Griffin to outperform Derek Meech, who was his AHL teammate in 05-06 and 06-07. Meech earned a spot on the Wings' roster in 07-08 as the 7th defenseman, beating out teammate Quincey. In 08-09, Quincey, Meech, Lebda, and Chelios were all competing for the final three spots to fill out an eight man defensive unit. Quincey was unable to earn a spot ahead of the others.

As for the "I let him go to give him more playing time" stuff. I have heard people say "Holland said this" but never seen it sourced, and I don't believe it for a second. Holland is not one to simply let other teams take his assets. And if he believed Quincey to be better than Lebda and Meech at the time, then one of those two would have been gone.

Now you ask what exactly I mean when I say it wasn't a misstep? Kyle Quincey plays 20 minutes a game and has since LA.. Brett Lebda played 14-16 minutes as a Red Wing. Lebda also didn't play much on the power play, which Quincey does, and did in LA. Why is this important, you ask? Quincey's offensive production is only slightly better than Lebda's was at the same age. Quincey is a much better defensive defenseman than Lebda, but in comparison to Meech he was never significantly better defensively.

Ultimately Quincey might be in the same situation as Meech is right now if their roles had been reversed.

And in the end it's all academic anyway because the Wings don't need to lose a whole lot of sleep over the guy who's 8th on their defensive depth chart.