• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rick Zombos Ghost

NJD put Brian Rolston on waivers

Rate this topic

ATTN New Jersey. Welcome to cap hell. Enjoy your stay.

Right? Lou really s*** the bed on the Kovy deal. How Kovalchuk taking the blame for their situation is news is beyond me. Of course you're the problem, Ilya, you've handcuffed this team for the entirety of your deal.

The next CBA definitely needs to address this issue... its horrendous to see good players potentially end their careers outside the NHL because of this cap loophole. I bet the devils could very well waive Kovalchuk tomorrow and he might just clear too.

I say if a player clears waivers he immediately becomes a free agent, no strings attached, ineligible to play for the waiving team.

The next CBA definitely needs to address this issue... its horrendous to see good players potentially end their careers outside the NHL because of this cap loophole. I bet the devils could very well waive Kovalchuk tomorrow and he might just clear too.

I say if a player clears waivers he immediately becomes a free agent, no strings attached, ineligible to play for the waiving team.

Rolston would remain on Devils cap because he's on an Over-35 deal.

Guest Stolberg

yeah this is all clearly because of the kovalchuk signing

and not

Rolston (35+) at 5,000,000

trading for Arnott at 4,500,000

Salvador at 2,900,000

That's sort of how MLB works. A player who is designated for assignment is immediately removed from the 40-man roster. Once a player is designated for assignment, the team has ten days to do one of the following things: the player can be traded, the player can be released, or the player can be put on waivers and, provided he clears, outrighted to the minors. A player who is outrighted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract. A player can only be outrighted once in his career without his consent.

SO once a player is DFA, they are basically removed from the team, but can still play in the minors. Which is why, when a player is DFA, you usually see them released because they are still to be paid their contract amount if placed in the minors.

Rolston would remain on Devils cap because he's on an Over-35 deal.

Pretty sure it just means he get's his 5mil regardless, but he doesn't count against the cap at all.

Edited by Konnan511

Guest Stolberg

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

Guest mindfly

Wings have a center spot open now when modano is injured... oh wait... salary cap <_<

Can we turn back time to 2002 or something

No, he stays on the cap regardless of if he's in the NHL or AHL, or if he retires.

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.

If that's the case, they should just trade him, plus a high draft pick (if they have any) to a team for a 3 or 2 star player to get that cap relief.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Wings have a center spot open now when modano is injured... oh wait... salary cap <_<

Can we turn back time to 2002 or something

The Wings would still have no room for him at centre. Fedorov, Yzerman, Datsyuk, Larionov and Draper. Well ok maybe he goes in for Draper. But then again Draper was still a valuable player back in 2002. Maybe we go back to 2006 and he can replace Jason Williams.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Guest mindfly

The Wings would still have no room for him at centre. Fedorov, Yzerman, Larionov and Draper. Well ok maybe he goes in for Draper. But then again Draper was still a valuable player back in 2002. Maybe we go back to 2006 and he can replace Jason Williams.

in 2006 the salary cap was already installed.

Guest Hatethedrake!

in 2006 the salary cap was already installed.

Ok lets just replace Jason Williams with Jiri Hudler. Oops never mind.

If that's the case, they should just trade him, plus a high draft pick (if they have any) to a team for a 3 or 2 star player to get that cap relief.

Rolston has a NTC, so easier said than done. Edited by MacK_Attack

“It’s not a huge surprise,” he said. “Obviously. I didn’t know it was going to happen today, but I can’t say it’s a surprise. We all know that since September our whole team has been waiting for something to happen and, again, we’re in a situation that with the way the season has been going, it can’t really be a surprise.”

“I’ve been in this league a long time, is it disappointing to be placed on waivers. I suppose it is. But I’m not overly disappointed. This could be an opportunity to play somewhere else. If not, I may be playing for the Devils tomorrow night (against Phoenix).”

-Brian Rolston of the New Jersey Devils on being placed on waivers.

The next CBA definitely needs to address this issue...

absolutely not. I mean: I wholeheartedly disagree.

playing field is level for everyone and rules were same for all and known from the very beginning. hence the situation Devils are in is completely Lamiorello's fault. and the league shouldn't be doing anything about that because if NHL decides to adjust some rules to help "dig" the Devils off their hole - then it's cheating towards the 29 other GMs who iced teams within the same salary cap limit.

Lou is probably playing this game hoping the league recognizes his misery and adjust the cap space accordingly. but I most certainly hope he's not gonna get the free ride.