• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

South Dakota wings fan

Possible Winter Classic @ Comerica Park

Rate this topic

I'd obviously love it being a Wings fan, but it wouldn't be fair to other teams that haven't even participated yet, even warmer climate located teams that would play it as the road team.

I get Pitt and Washington drawing in ratings, but it's just so stupid and unfair that Pitt gets to play in this event, again when a good chunk of teams haven't even had a sniff of consideration yet.

If that standard is out the window now, I'm all for the Wings playing again in it as soon as possible. If not, get other teams who haven't played yet.

NBC doesn't want Canadian teams. CBC doesn't want US. They want bigger draws on their networks. That is why they brought back the Heritage Classic.

I would love to see a Wings' outdoor game at UofM. I think the rink fits better in football stadiums.

Guest mjtm77

Wings have already had it let someone els have a go. Not really fair to fans of other teams to have the wings play in another one. Anyway that is my take on it

If playing the Leafs or Habs isn't possible (which really blows, but I've already ranted about that 100 times), I vote for the Avs or Ducks. I know it obviously wouldn't be as exciting as playing the Avs in 1997, but it'd be a good match-up for old time's sake. Then there's the Ducks, who make for a decent current rival, and since we're obviously not going to be able to play the Pens or Hawks, they're the next best thing. Actually, though, I think their games have been quite a bit more entertaining than the Hawks' games this year, so maybe that would work out pretty well. Ok, I vote for the Ducks, weirdly enough. And hey, that'd probably be right up Bettman's alley; it's a warm-climate expansion team with no fans, his favorite thing.

I agree that I'd rather see it at Michigan Stadium than Comerica. Everything's just so much more epic when it happens there, and they did such a good job with the Big Chill. Dooooo it.

Something I have noticed about these outdoor games is the marketing opportunities, each team gets a "special jersey" for the event, usually something from back in the day, right off the bat that gives teams like Toronto, New York and Montreal instant thought but then the kings could wear their old school yellow and purple (bleh) Colorado could go with the rockies (that would be kind of cool), Dallas could go with the green N from the north star days.

Something tells me the league would like to see the leafs get out of the basement before they try and showcase them. If the leafs had actually held on to their 1st round draft choices that would have really helped them I think if they had a face that they could market game on!

Guest Stolberg
Colorado could go with the rockies (that would be kind of cool)

the rockies were located to new jersey and became the devils