• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zetterbergfan

Congrats to Zetterberg

Rate this topic

I think this deserves its own thread...

Congrats to Z for officially joining the top 20 all-time Swedish scorers in the NHL.

I think he was probably already considered one of the top 10-15 Swedes of all-time anyways. When he is done he should be near the top.

I wonder where the Sedins will finish on this list. They score less points per game than Hank.

Anyway, to read more about it at my website, here is an article....

A small tribute to Bobby Nystrom, who got bumped out of the top 20, on that page as well.

Fantastic as usual titanium2 thumbup.gif

....Congrats to Z and I hope he continues to roll. Also I hope he can get back to being as aggressive on those one on ones as he used to as well. because I miss that.goal.gif

Edited by 13dangledangle

Fantastic as usual titanium2 thumbup.gif

I didn't make that actually. If that's what you thought.

But hey, Z is the NHL's second star of the week!

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/12/red_wings_henrik_zetterberg_is.html

DENVER -- Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg on Monday was named the NHL's second star of the week, after notching seven points (three goals, four assists) in three games.

Zetterberg scored a pair of goals, including the winner in overtime, and added an assist in a 5-4 victory over the Vancouver Canucks. He notched two assists in a 4-3 loss to the St. Louis Blues and finished the week by recording one goal and one assist in Sunday's 4-1 win over the Minnesota.

Zetterberg has passed injured teammate Pavel Datsyuk to take over the team scoring lead with 40 points (13 goals, 27 assists) in 35 games.

New York Islanders goaltender Dwayne Roloson was the first star, after going 3-0 with a 0.98 goals-against average and .972 save percentage.

Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby was third star. He had seven points (four goals, three assists) in four games and stretched his points streak to 24 games.

Z has already established himself as one of the top few Swedish forwards of all-time. Sundin, Forsberg, and Alfredsson are the only ones who were really stars for any length of time. Naslund and Nilsson burned very bright for a short period of time. Steen and Sandstrom were solid, reliable players who were just below the 'star' level for a long time. The Sedins have been solid, and Henrik Sedin won the Hart last year, but they took much longer than Z to reach star status, have had much weaker offensive production over their career, and don't have anywhere near his defensive game.

Z and the Sedins are on pace right to the top of the scoring charts for Swedish players. They will likely all three be somewhere between 1200-1300 points by the end of Z's contract, barring major injury or early retirement.

Z has already established himself as one of the top few Swedish forwards of all-time. Sundin, Forsberg, and Alfredsson are the only ones who were really stars for any length of time. Naslund and Nilsson burned very bright for a short period of time. Steen and Sandstrom were solid, reliable players who were just below the 'star' level for a long time. The Sedins have been solid, and Henrik Sedin won the Hart last year, but they took much longer than Z to reach star status, have had much weaker offensive production over their career, and don't have anywhere near his defensive game.

Z and the Sedins are on pace right to the top of the scoring charts for Swedish players. They will likely all three be somewhere between 1200-1300 points by the end of Z's contract, barring major injury or early retirement.

I think Z could realistically play over 1300 games and have 500 goals and 700 assists if he stays healthy until the end of his contract. Will the Sedins play that long?

I think Z could realistically play over 1300 games and have 500 goals and 700 assists if he stays healthy until the end of his contract. Will the Sedins play that long?

The Sedins haven't scored at Z's pace so far, but have picked up their pace considerably. The numbers I posted were assuming they would likely play 7-8 more seasons. That puts them between 1250-1400 games. That puts their production for the rest of their career falling somewhere between 0.769 and 1.40 PPG, which works out to between 63 and 115 points per 82 games to hit my estimate.

Z I am guessing 9-10 more seasons. This puts him between 1200 and 1350 games. His PPG for the rest of his career would fall somewhere between .875 and 1.23, or between 72 and 101 points per 82.

I'd like for him to surpass Alfredsson.

EDIT: Forgot I had more to say.

I'd like for him to surpass Alfredsson but he's probably not selfish enough during the regular season to do something like that.

Edited by titanium2

At the outset of the season, Zetterberg said he wanted to put up more points. As a result he's on pace for 90-plus, which would pretty much equal his career best 92 in '07-08.

But look at the goofy playoff numbers. How about 91 points in 97 games to go along with a plus-35 over that span.

When the rest of Zetterberg's reinforcements get back in the lineup, there can be no doubt this Detroit team is going to be a mean piece of business when the playoffs begin, no matter whom they end up playing.

"I think when you look at all the guys we have, all the lines that can score and seven deep on D, this is probably the best team we've had since I've been here," Zetterberg said. "That doesn't mean you're going to win, of course. It takes so much to win. It's such a long road and you need so much to go right.

"There's been times I thought we were going to win it and then the next thing you know you're standing by a tee box at some golf course wondering what just happened and you don't always have an answer. Having won it, we see both sides of what can happen and I think that's one thing that will help us this year. Many of us have seen what it takes to win."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Zetterberg+this+generation+greats/4082123/story.html#ixzz1AgoCaJ96

thumbup.gif Cannot wait to see Hank get to 100%

Still scoring with the obvious back issues. Just being a true warrior through this rough patch. Would love another multi-point effort as we normally seem to get the W with one of those. Git r done Hank!

As good a season as he was having before Pavel Datsyuk was injured Dec. 22, Zetterberg has shown his resolve in the aftermath. He extended his scoring streak to 11 straight games with a goal and an assist in Monday night's 5-4 loss to the Avalanche at the Pepsi Center.

"He thrives on this, when Pav is missing," teammate Johan Franzen said. "He gets a lot of ice time and the team is depending on him, and he loves that challenge."

Saturday night at Vancouver, on the second night of a back-to-back, Zetterberg didn't do much through the first two periods, then showed how deep his reserves run with a great third period that included setting up a huge tying goal by Franzen.

"It's called will," coach Mike Babcock said. "It's just determination. He took it upon himself to step up. To me, he's always a determined guy. He's been really determined now. For a few games there his back was sore, but he seems to be healthy, and when he's healthy, he's a good player. The determined guys' wills really come out when the game is on the line."

Read more: Determined Henrik Zetterberg fills gaps for Red Wings | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20110111/SPORTS05/101110431/Determined-Henrik-Zetterberg-fills-gaps-for-Red-Wings#ixzz1Aigc7XU3

Sometimes you worry about the changes in dynamic from captain to captain. Right now it looks as if Z is next in line to wear the C. In his case you always have to worry a little bit. He doesn't really have the charm of Stevie or the insane intelligence of Lidstrom but when I read statements like, "He loves that challenge" it makes me think, 'Well, maybe he might just do all right with that kind of responsibility.'