• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
droz

Joey McDonald

Rate this topic

All for it.

As much as I stick up for Osgood when people act like morons towards him in here, the way things are going I think MacDonald should be the backup for playoffs unless Osgood magically gets healthier sooner than expected (which I want, but am not expecting).

the way he's been playing lately, hell yeah. in his last nine appearances (whether starts or in relief) he's stopped 216 of 230 shots, for a .939 save percentage.

in eight starts, he's let in 22 goals on 257 shots, for a .917 save percentage but a 2.73 GAA (which includes a five-goal-against win against Columbus). overall, he's got a .930 save percentage and 2.13 GAA, both of which are bests on the team. obviously, he hasn't gotten the workload that jimmy has, so that's going to play a big role in it -- which is why i'm not suggesting that we promote joey to our playoff starter. it is worth noting that jimmy has two shutouts in 58 starts; joey has one shutout in eight starts.

all that to say, he could totally fall apart at any time. but right now, yeah, i'd be cool with him as a backup if Oz retires. i liked joey the first time we had him.

i don't know if anyone else remembers this, but a few years ago we had the longest, currently active non-shutout streak going. it was up to a hundred and some games in which we'd scored at least one goal (we were second on the all-time list, IIRC, to calgary, who once went like 260-some games without being shutout). the night we lost that streak, we lost to (i think) the blues -- what i know for sure is that joey lost that game 1-0, and it was heartbreaking. anyway...random tangent...carry on. :)

If Osgood retires, and Mac takes over as the back up, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the starter by the end of the season. I'm not saying he's the best ever, or that Howard is crap. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't see why we wouldn't keep him for another year or two. I think he could actually get about 30 games a season with the Wings to take the load off Howard more, since I don't really think Howard is the type of goalie who should get 60 games a season.