• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Mike Modano

Rate this topic

Will Modano even get his name on the Cup?

I don't think he's qualified in terms of games played.

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

He would be an exception...he missed the regular season GP by one game.

And all that doesn't even really matter b/c if you've played at all during the playoffs you get your name on the cup. Case and point, Helm played 7 games with the Wings during the '08 regular season, but has his name on the cup

(plus he really deserved it with how well he played during the playoffs)

Sorry didn't read that post all the way through. Yah, Modano will have his name of the cup for sure (providing they win obviously), and he really deserves it with his play thus far for the team (both in the playoff and the few regular season games he played in)

Edited by ZMAN

Will Modano even get his name on the Cup?

I don't think he's qualified in terms of games played.

This gets brought up every season. Aside from the exception rule, the Finals rule, etc., there is the petition a team can make to add basically whoever they want to the Cup.

Hudler sitting in the stands makes more sence than Helm having less heart. I don't remember Hudler even playing in the first round. Wait I did see him in the warm ups ;)

3 pts, 4 games in the playoffs, not too shabby.

He competes. He's got more heart than Helm and that's saying something.

:huh:

Not sure how or why Helm needs to be brought up regarding this, or why there even needs to be any comparisons to anybody else regarding this. Not sure where you are really going with this one.

Hudler sitting in the stands makes more sence than Helm having less heart. I don't remember Hudler even playing in the first round. Wait I did see him in the warm ups ;)

I saw him score a pretty slick goal in the first playoff game which gave the Wings much needed insurance/breathing room.

And given such a small sample size of 4 playoff games that the Wings have fortunately won all of them, you could pretty much substitute any player for Hudler right now in terms of production or things you'd see on the stat sheet.

Hard to rack up a bajillion points in just 4 games, and the team has had contributions from pretty much everybody this past series.

Depth.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

This gets brought up every season. Aside from the exception rule, the Finals rule, etc., there is the petition a team can make to add basically whoever they want to the Cup.

You have to actually want to win, also; a la Derek Meech. I'm not convinced at this point by Modano's typical performance that he actually gives a s*** about the result. He had a few good games, which happened to be sparked by Mr. Abdelkader playing well, and otherwise has been "I'll go skate my shift now...not that it matters."

1 goal on a brilliant individual effort, 2 assists on key setup plays, several significant defensive plays, consistent physical play, grinding, going to the net. Only held pointless in Game 2, where he played under 9 minutes.

But yeah, let's drop him for Modano, who had a second assist for a lucky chip to Homer in the defensive zone that resulted in a two-man rush of Dats and Homer to the other end, with Modano sort of skating along watching.

1 goal on a brilliant individual effort, 2 assists on key setup plays, several significant defensive plays, consistent physical play, grinding, going to the net. Only held pointless in Game 2, where he played under 9 minutes.

But yeah, let's drop him for Modano, who had a second assist for a lucky chip to Homer in the defensive zone that resulted in a two-man rush of Dats and Homer to the other end, with Modano sort of skating along watching.

So Modano was just skating along and watching when Homer scored. Alright. :blink: