• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

He's had a frustrating season, no doubt about it. I was curiously interested and happy the Wings signed him but I certainly understood either people's frustrations with him this season or reasons why the Wings shouldn't have signed him.

He could have easily thrown a temper tantrum or whatever for not being on the regular roster these first few games, but didn't (I am assuming) and he stepped in and played a fantastic game in limited minutes, helping in a part of a goal, and drawing a penalty leading to a PP goal.

Who knows if, or when might be a better word, he's the odd man out when Zetterberg and Franzen get back but he looks to not be messing around or being lazy and just shows how ridiculous the Wings depth can be.

#2 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Here you go Mike...

Posted Image

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#3 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

I agree he played well however I am going to save my kudos for a round or two...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

I hope we don't see him the rest of the playoffs and that's to NO fault of his, but rather because it will mean we have remained healthy.

With that said, he has been a consummate professional this season and even though he probably should've hung them up, it's admirable that he fought back after the injury and is looking like an NHL caliber player (unfortunately for him, we have too many MORE NHL caliber players above him on the depth chart)

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 Danglesyuk05

Danglesyuk05

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Good game from Mike last night. Showed he is still hungry for some of those playoff minutes.

Detroit Sports!

#6 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:40 AM

I think it's awesome we are this deep. Modano is "the extra guy" on our team. Thats a pretty good back-up plan if you ask me.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#7 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Wish nothing but the best for him, hope his name is on the cup after this year. However I would rather have any of the following in the lineup (Z and mule excluded):
Abby
Eaves
Miller
Hudler

Abby needs to be a permanent fixture in this roster, and so don't Eaves and Miller. (All 3 should get multi year deals with Wings, imo)
Hudler has been playing hard, doing the right thing with the puck, he has shown he can be a sniper.
Modano has shown that he is just not ready for this roster. I think had he played an entire season he would be better suited. But as is, he looks like he lacks a chemistry with anyone other than Dats. But then again, I attribute that to Dats.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#8 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

assuming he is that old he would still be No. 1 center on a team link Phoenix. It is a shame that they have Belanger and Fiddler centering their top two line. I like our depth.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#9 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

He looked great out there last night. Glad to see he can be a team player about the whole situation.
40 for life.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

Was disappointed to see him start, but right off the hop he had energy. Unfortunately he sort of disappeared as the game went on, but good way to bounce back. The test with him this season has been: will he keep it up? Or will he go back to being lazy?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

I think he realizes by now that he should of retired. He wasn't entirely sure that he wanted to be back, and that should have been a telling sign to stay away.

And I'm not surprised he didn't make a big stink about it. Those things don't happen very often in Hockeytown. Besides, he knows that he's not that good anymore.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 21 April 2011 - 06:16 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Modano played very well last night and showed he can still compete :thumbup:

#13 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

He looked way better than I expected him to look. He even threw a couple hits. Way to go Mo! :)

#14 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,454 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

I am a long-time Modano fan and am not at all surprised to see how he's handling a season of disappointments which would have embittered a lesser player and lesser person. He's handling everything perfectly. I would have expected no less from him.

Mike deserves a place on this team and a Cup with Detroit. I hope he gets it. :thumbup:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#15 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

We really have to appreciate the depth of this team. Sweeping a series without Z, and winning game 4 without Mule, that says a LOT about how deep this team is, and how hungry they are to win. It's been a tough year for Modano, and I don't know how much he'll be in the lineup throughout. Everyone on the team seems to be playing well, even down to players who are rarely credited, like Miller.

#16 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, I definitely liked how hard he worked last night. I wish he'd gotten to play a whole season with the Wings...just when he was finally starting to get used to playing with the Wings, he gets injured, and because of that, he just doesn't have the chemistry built up with the other guys. Anyway, for not getting to play much this year, you can tell he's really doing the best he can right now and being pro about it, and I appreciate that.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#17 chuklz

chuklz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

I am a long-time Modano fan and am not at all surprised to see how he's handling a season of disappointments which would have embittered a lesser player and lesser person. He's handling everything perfectly. I would have expected no less from him.

Mike deserves a place on this team and a Cup with Detroit. I hope he gets it. :thumbup:

He competes. He's got more heart than Helm and that's saying something.

#18 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

IF we win the Cup, obviously Modano will retire. Now, Bertuzzi and Holmstrom both have a year left on their contracts after this year. Anyone think one or both of them retire after this year (This is IF we win the Cup)? We'd have a few holes to fill. Not to mention whether Lidstrom and Draper would be content with retiring with a Cup. Just a thought.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#19 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

assuming mule and Z start the second round, i'd guess Mo is out, at least to start.

my question is: what if we go down, say, 2-0 or even 2-1, and guys like Miller, Draper, or even Hudler aren't showing anything good? does Mike get another chance if we're losing games and need, say, help on the powerplay or it seems like the guys would need some leadership?

go wings.

#20 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

He competes. He's got more heart than Helm and that's saying something.

This is in no way a knock on Modano but more heart than Helm?! Have you watched the playoffs, Helm leads the Wings in hits, he has been one of our best players night in and out, just not on the score sheet.

In the only game they played together if we are measuring heart it's Helm > Modano.

But Modano is a great player, and he does skate fast, I think it's all the back checking that gets him.

assuming mule and Z start the second round, i'd guess Mo is out, at least to start.

my question is: what if we go down, say, 2-0 or even 2-1, and guys like Miller, Draper, or even Hudler aren't showing anything good? does Mike get another chance if we're losing games and need, say, help on the powerplay or it seems like the guys would need some leadership?

I would guess that roster changes would come due to either injury or a loss or two, depending on how we lost. This is pretty much the norm. If we make it deep into the playoffs I expect Mike will get another chance, it will be up to him to make sure Babcock simply can't take him out again.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.