• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 redwinger4747

redwinger4747

Oh captain, my captain

• PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

For as long as I can remember watching the Red Wings, I only seem to remember them losing OT playoff games. So I went back and checked out their record, and just as I thought, it was bad.

Since 2000, the Red Wings are an abysmal 8-19 in playoff OT games, for a winning percentage of .296. I have no idea why they have been so bad so consistently, but this obviously explains why I am forced to be so pessimistic whenever a playoff game gets to OT. I'm not saying this means Detroit will lose the series, but man would it be nice to actually win an overtime game here or there.

Interestingly, when I went back further to the beginning of the current playoff streak (also the beginning of Lidstrom's career), I found that between 1991-1999 the Red Wings went 12-5 in playoff overtime games for a .706 winning percentage.

So over the course of the entire playoff streak, its not far from even (20-24). But boy has playoff OT spelled doom for the Red Wings in the past decade.

Edited by redwinger4747, 30 April 2011 - 11:06 PM.

....#5 is next. Yzerman & Lidstrom = Gods.

#2 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:26 PM

Yep hence when they go to OT I always assume loss b/c they just don't get it done. Even in games where they outplay their opponent they lose and when they get outplayed they lose e.g last night. So yes they can't afford to go to OT b/c they will lose!

#3 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

A lot of people on here already knew the general idea that the Wings don't win playoff games that go to OT but I bet it's still dejecting to see the actual numbers.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

Yep hence when they go to OT I always assume loss b/c they just don't get it done. Even in games where they outplay their opponent they lose and when they get outplayed they lose e.g last night. So yes they can't afford to go to OT b/c they will lose!

I think you take the cake for most defeatist poster on these boards. Unlike you, many of us actually think that the team we root for will succeed.

#5 Save The Octopus

Save The Octopus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:21 AM

Was the Helm goal in Game 5 of the 2009 WCF the last OT winner?

#6 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:42 AM

Was the Helm goal in Game 5 of the 2009 WCF the last OT winner?

The team has only played two OT games since then, though both have been losses. In the remainder of 2009, the Wings were 1-1 in OT. In 2008, the team was 1-1; in 2007, the team was 2-1. In 2006, the team was 1-1. As such, the Wings have had a post-lockout OT win percentage of .500. That's not bad.

Given that few players and no coaching staff members remain from the pre-lockout era, the use of a sample size stretching all the way back to 2000 is insensible.

but this obviously explains why I am forced to be so pessimistic whenever a playoff game gets to OT. I'm not saying this means Detroit will lose the series, but man would it be nice to actually win an overtime game here or there.

Nothing forces you to be pessimistic. You choose to be pessimistic. And given that the Red Wings are 50/50 in post-lockout OT games as of last night, you haven't got any reason to be pessimistic at all.

Edited by Crymson, 01 May 2011 - 03:22 AM.

#7 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:07 AM

I'll just leave this here

#8 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

#9 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

I'll just leave this here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84lZw2pkz7U

And this...
This is what you should think of when RED WINGS and OT are said in the same breath :thumbup:

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

We were 0-4 in OT games under Dave Lewis.

In fact, we're 0-5 in OT games against the Ducks since 2000. Damn those Ducks! :hehe:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

We were 0-4 in OT games under Dave Lewis.

In fact, we're 0-5 in OT games against the Ducks since 2000. Damn those Ducks! :hehe:

From what I gather, with Babs behind the bench, the Wings are 6-8? in OT Playoff games. Not even .500. So... No more OT games, Wings, kthxbye.

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

<_<

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

<_<

Pretty much.

Like a Shakespearian tragedy. You know how it'll end before you read it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

We have no clutch and heart outside of 1-3 players.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#15 corvette80

corvette80

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

The Sharks know how to close out games, they are 5-0 in OT games this year alone, they have the "Will" to want to win, Detroit not even close. I want to see Canucks, Nashville or Tampa to win the cup