No registered users viewing this page.

wingsfan_54

game 3 lineup changes?

Rate this topic

Huds Datsyuk Cleary

Bert Z Franzen

Abby Flip Modano

Draper Helm Eaves

I like these lines alot, except for one change.

To have an effective "scoring" line, you need: A playmaker who can also score (your centerman), someone who can provide a net presence, and a floater/shooter (your wingers), one or both of whom need to be responsible/strong on the fore-check. Right?

So, in your first combo, I assume Cleary would be the one to provide net presence, which leaves Hudler in the position of the floater/shooter. I really don't feel comfortable with him in this position because in the first two games, he was consistently pushed off the puck by the Sharks bigger, stronger, forwards and defensemen. I feel that replacing Hudler (have him sit out) with Holmstrom on this line to provide your net presence and would leave Cleary available for that floater/shooter position, who has proven to be much stronger on the boards and is excellent on the fore-check.

Other than that, I think these lines are pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Z is, if not 100$%, damn close, as he proved in the final minutes of the 3rd Sunday. Franzen isn't close to that, so having another big body on a line with him (Bert) could take some of the heat off him and give him more room.

Just my HO.

I like these lines alot, except for one change.

To have an effective "scoring" line, you need: A playmaker who can also score (your centerman), someone who can provide a net presence, and a floater/shooter (your wingers), one or both of whom need to be responsible/strong on the fore-check. Right?

So, in your first combo, I assume Cleary would be the one to provide net presence, which leaves Hudler in the position of the floater/shooter. I really don't feel comfortable with him in this position because in the first two games, he was consistently pushed off the puck by the Sharks bigger, stronger, forwards and defensemen. I feel that replacing Hudler (have him sit out) with Holmstrom on this line to provide your net presence and would leave Cleary available for that floater/shooter position, who has proven to be much stronger on the boards and is excellent on the fore-check.

Other than that, I think these lines are pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Z is, if not 100$%, damn close, as he proved in the final minutes of the 3rd Sunday. Franzen isn't close to that, so having another big body on a line with him (Bert) could take some of the heat off him and give him more room.

Just my HO.

That first line was regards to recent experience this year as Huds and Datsyuk were absolutely dynamic while on a line with Cleary. I agree that Huds was getting knocked off the puck in game 2, but i did not feel that way about him in game 1 or the entire pheonix series. People get mad at Huds a lot on these forums (sometimes I can't blame them) but they fail to see the good sides of Huds. Yes he had one bad game and it happened to be a really bad game, but up until that point he was playing some of his best hockey of the season. I just feel that it would be a huge mistake to take him out of the lineup as we know with Huds he can strike at any moment with a goal, or he can make a slick pass for a goal. And with a team who are struggling to score goals I feel taking out Hudler would be the wrong move and ultimately hurt are scoring depth, as well as our powerplay depth.

Filpula Datsyuk Homstrom

Cleary Zetterberg Franzen

Abdelkader Helm Hudler

Bertuzzi Draper Eaves/Miller/Modano

I think we are really missing a shoot first mentality on the PP right now Mo would bring that playing the point. Toss up though our Pk hasnt been that bad.

Totally agree. And that goes for 5 on 5 play too. I don't care who they put in where. JUST SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK. And yes, I was yelling. :shout:

Wings have to start playing guys who want to skate. Roll with 3 lines or 2 lines.

Then maybe guys will start getting it. Some are not competing.

Modano-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Zetterberg-Filppula-Cleary

Helm-Hudler-Abdelkader

Franzen-Draper-Holmstrom

Wings got to get scrappier in front of NIEMI.

This, too! :thumbup:

DISCLAIMER: Since we all know Babcock isn't sitting in front of his computer reading this, really the entire discussion is moot. However, since this is all about opinions and fantasy anyway, let's have some fun with it!

Alright, Flipper, I'll bite.

That first line was regards to recent experience this year as Huds and Datsyuk were absolutely dynamic while on a line with Cleary. I agree that Huds was getting knocked off the puck in game 2, but i did not feel that way about him in game 1 or the entire pheonix series. People get mad at Huds a lot on these forums (sometimes I can't blame them) but they fail to see the good sides of Huds. Yes he had one bad game and it happened to be a really bad game, but up until that point he was playing some of his best hockey of the season. I just feel that it would be a huge mistake to take him out of the lineup as we know with Huds he can strike at any moment with a goal, or he can make a slick pass for a goal. And with a team who are struggling to score goals I feel taking out Hudler would be the wrong move and ultimately hurt are scoring depth, as well as our powerplay depth.

I know this will sound a bit crazy (read DISCLAIMER above) how about this:

A lot of people here have said that Huds is a "natural center". What if we put Hudler on that line as center, and Dats on his wing? You'd still have the chemistry you talked about and we'd have more strength on the boards. The only drawback here is in the face-off circle, but with the way the officials are tossing people out left and right, how big an impact would this have?

I'm still CRAZY about that Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi line! :yahoo:

Spizzirri on Hockeybuzz.com is saying the Wings practiced this morning with the folliwing lines:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Abdelkader-Filppula-Hudler

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Despite blogging for the unbelievably uncredible Eklund, Spizzirri is actually a decent read most of the time and has some good info. But take it for what it's worth

Also, from Ansar

Edited by mmamolo

Spizzirri on Hockeybuzz.com is saying the Wings practiced this morning with the folliwing lines:

Cleary-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Abdelkader-Filppula-Hudler

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Despite blogging for the unbelievably uncredible Eklund, Spizzirri is actually a decent read most of the time and has some good info. But take it for what it's worth

Also, from Ansar

Datsyuk and Franzen back together :/

DISCLAIMER: Since we all know Babcock isn't sitting in front of his computer reading this, really the entire discussion is moot.

So are most of the threads in here but thanks for the disclaimer!!!! hehe.gif

freep

The way that article is sounding, Miller is most likely odd man out with Draper coming in. Lines they practiced with:

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Hudler-Filppula-Abdelkader

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Not pumped about these as Franzen needs to be switched with Bert but Pav has got to have some sort of scorer (Franzen being that guy???) on his line.

Just an update...i was watching the post practice interviews today, and there was 1 with Mike Modano, at the end the reporter asked if he feels he'll play game 3 where he replied saying as of today it doesn't seem like it. I really hope he's wrong, and I hope him and Draper are in tomorrow.

Holmstrom - Modano - Hudler

Eaves - Draper - Abdelkader

Helm needs an opportunity to play with some better players. this guy generates offense when playing with fourth line grinders every game give him a chance.

Possibly the worst line combo I've seen posted all season. All three of these guys have had a noticeable lack of chemistry playing with the others; this is mainly because neither Modano nor Holmstrom are really puck-possession players. Hudler is also the best defensive forward on the line, so the line isn't exactly a shut-down unit. That's why neither work with Hudler, whose biggest strength is puck control. Homer and Modano don't work well together because Modano is best on the rush, and gets sort of lost in extended puck control situations, while Homer is pretty much ineffective unless his teammates can set up in the zone and get shots on net.

Franzen-Dats-Modano

Homer-Z-Cleary

Berts-Flip-Abdelkader

Helm-Drapes-Eaves

Huds doesn't deserve to be in the lineup. Flip has to be on the ice, even if he should be sended to the Griffins, with his brother

What exactly has Hudler done that he doesn't deserve to be in the lineup? Hudler has been one of the team's best forwards all playoffs. He's been strong offensively, solid defensively, good physically. He's been better than just about every forward on the team (including Franzen, whose playoff performance - or lack thereof - is somehow immune to criticism), and in the only game he didn't play well he still played as well or better than Franzen, who you're rewarding with first line time for his ineffectiveness.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Modano-Bertuzzi

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Miller/Hudler(bring it on, eva)

Hudler has outplayed just about every other Wings forward all playoff. He had one game where he was not up to par. If you're going to scratch him, you should be scratching most of the team.

Second, Hudler has been completely worthless in both the regular and post season with Datsyuk, and terrific with him, so let's get those two back together.

Hudler was playing great and has been one of the team's top forwards since Christmas. Hudler scored 4-10-14 in 11 games with Datsyuk. Hudler scored 5-12-17 in 32 games after Christmas. Franzen scored 13-12-25 in 33 regulation games after Christmas, not including the stretch where Hudler played with Datsyuk. Big difference? Thing is, Franzen was playing with Datsyuk for the entire stretch after Hudler was taken off Dats' line, and Z before that.

So what happens if you take Franzen's 4 assists in 9 games while Huds was with Datsyuk and stretch that to 32 games, while stretching Huds' 11 games to 33 games? The answer is, Hudler has 17-42-59 in 65 while Franzen has 13-26-39 in 65. Oh my. And yes, I realize that I am leaving Hudler's 30-game slump at the beginning of the season out of the calculation. But if that's a beef of yours, perhaps I should base Franzen's goal numbers on his last 27 games of the season? 2 goals from our "elite" sniper? Both Hudler and Darren Helm each scored 6 goals in that span.

As for lines, ultimately the lines should be put together as such:

Huds/Dats/Cleary: The best line we've had all season; all three were on 100-point pace - it was only broken up to get Franzen's ass off the couch. Didn't even work.

Modano/Z/Bertuzzi: Modano's speed works to offset Z working back in from his injury, and provides a good shot from the wing. Bertuzzi provides size and strength.

Franzen/Filppula/Holmstrom: Franzen and Flip have worked in the past, this combo is similar to BFF except Holmstrom swaps in for Bertuzzi.

Draper/Helm/Eaves: Win.

If Modo/Z/Bert isn't working out, either swap out the wingers on the second and third lines, or switch Flip/Modo and Bert/Homer.

DISCLAIMER: Since we all know Babcock isn't sitting in front of his computer reading this, really the entire discussion is moot. However, since this is all about opinions and fantasy anyway, let's have some fun with it!

Alright, Flipper, I'll bite.

I know this will sound a bit crazy (read DISCLAIMER above) how about this:

A lot of people here have said that Huds is a "natural center". What if we put Hudler on that line as center, and Dats on his wing? You'd still have the chemistry you talked about and we'd have more strength on the boards. The only drawback here is in the face-off circle, but with the way the officials are tossing people out left and right, how big an impact would this have?

I'm still CRAZY about that Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi line! :yahoo:

IMO it shouldn't really matter who is playing center and who is playing wing other than faceoffs ( which Pav should be doing). Now here me out. Being a center iceman should only matter in the defensive zone and quite frankly whoever is the 3rd man high in the o-zone or first man back needs to be the one playing down low in the d-zone ( the centermans responsiblity). So weather it be Dats or Huds or Cleary whoever is the first man back should be taking over the centermans responsibilities. So I personally don't like or even understand why people put so much thought, attention, or worry into who is playing center or who is playing wing as players should all be moving (swing) off the boards towards the boards in the neutral zone and should be buzzing all over in the o- zone.

Franzen- Z-Bert line should light it up!!!

But Huds with dats or even Z is scary and trust me it would be a thorn in the side of the sharks

If Modano gets into the line up I wouldnt mind seeing Modano - Filppula - Holmstrom. If I remember correctly that line was together briefly and had some chemistry. It puts two strong skaters and stick handlers together with a net pressence. Also, both Fil and Holmstrom are good down low and Modano can be the shooter.

That also allows something along the lines of:

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Modano - Filppula - Holmstrom

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller, Abdeldaker

I don't necessarily think ABs should be out of the line up but if he is going to sit I would start the game with those lines. It's also good because you could flip Dats and Flip and not miss a beat. Or you could switch Hudler with Franzen in case putting Franzen and Zetterberg on the same line is too much as they are both coming off injuries.