• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey&beer

Has anyone noticed what they are doing in Sunrise, FL?

Rate this topic

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers, then again who does, but secretly they have seem to put together a half way decent roster. Yes, 'tending is questionable, but their overall lineup isn't that horrible. In the weak-a$$ southeast can they make a push and see the playoffs? Possibly even win a round or two?!?

If they over-achieve they'll squeak into eighth. I don't see them winning a round though. No high-end goal scoring, extremely mediocre defense and questionable goaltending. They just spent money (in arbitrary ways IMO) to get up to the cap floor.

There's no reason to think that the roster will click what-so-ever. Could it? I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm super thankful to see them putting forth an effort, because it hasn't been there for years.

My teams outside of the Red Wings were the Thrashers then the Panthers. So it's nice the Panthers are distracting me from the sadness of Atlanta.

In all seriousness though, it's nice to see them actually acting as a working franchise.

Kevin Dineen will be more beneficial to that franchise then any of the players they signed this offseason. I think he's the "over achieving team" coach of the year darkhorse for next season. And if Jacob Markstrom can make the team and provide solid goaltending, who knows. If it's Theo and Clemmenson though... lol

They haven't made the playoffs in forever and haven't accomplished anything in the playoffs outside of 1996. They're one of those sports franchises that everyone seems to forget actually exists.

Hard to envision them actually winning the division from Washington or Tampa.

This is a joke right?

Florida has done this for years, buy players, it won't work.

There has never been a owner of the Panthers that actually cares about winning a NHL game.

It's sell, sell, sell.....they want to sellout crowds of people, not even fans, like a carnival and sell jacked up merchandise and beer.

It's tough love, but the business model of developing high 1st round picks and then trading them for lower picks and more vets/cap relief has got to change if they want to be taken serious.

" The Blueprint continues..." that was their slogan, I just think that's sad, like, management says, we have a team but from game one even we don't believe in them.

These moves may make the team more watchable, but I don't see how filling out your team with 1/3(arguably the worst 1/3) of a championship team from 2 seasons ago makes you a contender.

This is a team that drafted Jovo, went to the Cup in his Rookie season then dumped him in his prime for Pavel Bure, who could score but was poison for the team.

They took a chance on Luongo after NYI had failed and when he develops, BLAM, traded, again, to Vancouver for Alex Auld....Alex Auld.

Bouwmeester is a perfect example of what happens, the team doesn't care about winning so the players leave or have to be traded for assets that are already under contract.

There are way more examples, but just this has given me a headache, to think that it will change is silly.

Tallon has to be in some basement somewhere scheming on how he can package Booth and Weiss for Byfuglien, better yet, Crawford.

:thumbdown:

If they over-achieve they'll squeak into eighth. I don't see them winning a round though. No high-end goal scoring, extremely mediocre defense and questionable goaltending. They just spent money (in arbitrary ways IMO) to get up to the cap floor.

There's no reason to think that the roster will click what-so-ever. Could it? I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Exactly. I don't know why people keep talking about this effort the Panthers have made. They just spend randomly and overpaid for players to meet the cap floor. There was no "assembling" of a team. They won't get close enough to sniff playoffs.

I read it somewhere else, but I completely agree with the idea that even if Florida is terrible, they could have a few over-achievers and move them at the trade deadline for picks. The guys who do really well they can keep, and the guys who are movable assets will receive some kind of return. It's actually pretty bright, IF it works out.

Kevin Dineen will be more beneficial to that franchise then any of the players they signed this offseason. I think he's the "over achieving team" coach of the year darkhorse for next season. And if Jacob Markstrom can make the team and provide solid goaltending, who knows. If it's Theo and Clemmenson though... lol

It wouldn't be hard to get a circa 2000 Nashville Predators vibe from them- say a goaltender steps up and they squeak into the playoffs. That's something to build on and if there is any spark of success from them, there is always the potential to attract a fan base, as unlikely as that may be. If they play competent and above average hockey for a year or two, they would be a team with a lot of cap space that believes in itself.

I was secretly hoping that St. Louis would be doing this, not that I have any affection for their franchise whatsoever. With their ownership issues, though, I doubt it will happen. Miami, on the other hand, can drag people to a sport where you get to sit next to ice for 2 and a half hours if you can convince them it is worthwhile.

The only thing that can help that franchise is for them to be sold to a better owner. I really think they need to be moved. I would prefer them to be the team that goes to Quebec before the Yotes. I can think of five spots that deserve a hockey team before The Panthers.

the ultimate goal of every team should be to win the cup, and i just dont think thats possible if you dont draft your own talent. free agency should be used to fill holes in a roster, not assemble an entire roster. so what, they might make the playoffs this year, but what would accomplish long term. look at the islanders in 2006. sure they had a decent team and made the playoffs, but what good did that do. they are just as bad now as they were 10-15 years ago.

This is a joke right?

Florida has done this for years, buy players, it won't work.

There has never been a owner of the Panthers that actually cares about winning a NHL game.

It's sell, sell, sell.....they want to sellout crowds of people, not even fans, like a carnival and sell jacked up merchandise and beer.

It's tough love, but the business model of developing high 1st round picks and then trading them for lower picks and more vets/cap relief has got to change if they want to be taken serious.

" The Blueprint continues..." that was their slogan, I just think that's sad, like, management says, we have a team but from game one even we don't believe in them.

These moves may make the team more watchable, but I don't see how filling out your team with 1/3(arguably the worst 1/3) of a championship team from 2 seasons ago makes you a contender.

This is a team that drafted Jovo, went to the Cup in his Rookie season then dumped him in his prime for Pavel Bure, who could score but was poison for the team.

They took a chance on Luongo after NYI had failed and when he develops, BLAM, traded, again, to Vancouver for Alex Auld....Alex Auld.

Bouwmeester is a perfect example of what happens, the team doesn't care about winning so the players leave or have to be traded for assets that are already under contract.

There are way more examples, but just this has given me a headache, to think that it will change is silly.

Tallon has to be in some basement somewhere scheming on how he can package Booth and Weiss for Byfuglien, better yet, Crawford.

I don't think they actually want to trade thosr players, they just simply can't afford them. Look at the Indians in baseball, do you think they wanted to trade cc, cliff lee, and victor martinez? No they simply were too good for a small market team to afford so rather than lose them in free agency, you get what u can in a trade.

I don't think they actually want to trade thosr players, they just simply can't afford them. Look at the Indians in baseball, do you think they wanted to trade cc, cliff lee, and victor martinez? No they simply were too good for a small market team to afford so rather than lose them in free agency, you get what u can in a trade.

It's not even close to that the team has had the money to sign these guys, the players don't want to play here.

The Panthers are a team known to give big contracts to mid-range, known talent and the vets know this and just come for a year long vacation away from competition. The kids here get screwed around alot, thats why they hold out or never sign at all.

I'll add another example: Ray Whitney

Drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the 2nd round (23rd overall) in 1991.

11/06/1997 Claimed by the Florida Panthers off waivers from the Edmonton Oilers.

That season he scores 32 goals,61 points in 68 games for the Panthers.

273 games, 97 goals, 227 points playing for some very questionable Panther teams.

The season he is traded he has 31 points in 43 games.

3/13/2001 Florida Panthers traded Ray Whitney and future considerations to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Kevyn Adams and a 4th round selection (Michael Woodford) in 2001. Strike 1.

Come on, a near point per game player (.831) and you get a 4th rounder and a gamble in Adams.

Adams goes on to play 56 games for the Panthers, scoring 7 goals and 21 points over 2 seasons. Bust.

Then:

1/16/2002 Carolina Hurricanes traded Sandis Ozolinsh and Byron Ritchie to the Florida Panthers for Bret Hedican, Tomas Malec, Kevyn Adams and a conditional 2nd round selection in 2003. Strike 2.

They trade him off to join Whitney in Carolina and eventually win a cup together in 05-06, meanwhile FL loses Ritchie to F/A and deal Ozolinsh to the Ducks where in his 1st year they go to the cup finals.

January 30, 2003 - Traded by the Florida Panthers, along with Lance Ward to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim in exchange for Pavel Trnka, Matt Cullen and Anaheim's 2003 4th rnd.(Jay Pemberton). Strike 3.

-----------------------------------------

So far we started with Whitney for free and have just traded around for contracts and ended up with essentially Matt Cullen.......wait for it :P

Cullen goes 86 games, 12 goals, 31 points for the Panthers over 2 seasons. Bust.

__NHL Lockout___

They lose Cullen to F/A, but here is the best part, he joins up with Adams and Whitney in Carolina to win that cup.

A waiver pickup that sustained a franchise with bodies for 6 years. Thats all it ever was for them.

If they wanted to win they could have kept those players. These guys obviously wanted to win.

Sigh, headache is back, maybe i'll be able to add more tomorrow.

Edited by Wingzman91

We're looking at something along the lines of (Barring any trades):

Weiss-Booth-Versteeg

Dadonov-Fleischmann-Bergenheim

Upshall-Satorelli-Kopecky

Bradley-Goc-Matthias

Timmins/Shirokov(?)

Campbell-Jovanovski

Kulikov-Ellerby

Weaver-Garrison

Strachan/Gudbranson(?)

I think Mike Santorelli will have another solid year. He was one of the few bright spots for Florida last year with 41 points(20 goals, 21 assists) in his first full NHL season.

Hard to build a team when there's a firesale seemingly every summer, though. Departures from last year's Panthers squad include Marty Reasoner, Sergei Samsonov, Niclas Bergfors, Steve Bernier, Darcy Hordichuk, and Ryan Carter.

We're looking at something along the lines of (Barring any trades):

Weiss-Booth-Versteeg

Dadonov-Fleischmann-Bergenheim

Upshall-Satorelli-Kopecky

Bergeneheim will probably not play ahead of Kopecky. Kopecky scored 42 points last season and is expected to put up even bigger numbers for the Panthers. He can't do that on a checking line. Meanwhile, Bergenheim is best suited to a checking line. So this lineup makes only a modicum of sense.

Bergeneheim will probably not play ahead of Kopecky. Kopecky scored 42 points last season and is expected to put up even bigger numbers for the Panthers. He can't do that on a checking line. Meanwhile, Bergenheim is best suited to a checking line. So this lineup makes only a modicum of sense.

Yeah the lines are obviously subject to change(Hence the"Something along the lines of"). Wouldn't be surprised to see Santorelli get 2nd line ice time as well.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

He has to get the cap floor but this teams future was just shot. He's signing long term deals that will handcuff him or his successor. And someone said they look like last years hawks. They have no Kane, toews, or Keith.

Why the f would you sign Jovo to a 4 year contract? He's injury prone and getting old. And Upshall with a NTC? He's on his 5th team....maybe there's a reason for that.