• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Realignment decided - 4 Conferences

Rate this topic

So the wings are in a division with Ott, Boll, Dorsett, Tootoo, Carcillo, David Backes, Barret Jackman, Adam Burish,Brett Bulmer, Tanner Glass, and Cal Clutterbuck now?

Time to sign Prust Kenny :thumbup:

Edited by newfy

Yes, you're right. Realigning an entire multi-billion dollar industry from the inside out is fairly simple.

I mean I'm just saying. Doesn't it seem this was done very "quick and dirty"? I know this talk's been going down for years and years, but I feel like I found out about this current deal over the weekend and now it's set. No, not easy, but very all of a sudden.

I'm no NHL B of D or General Manager. On the surface, less travel is what all teams wanted and it looks like they got it. I like the new deal as a whole, but the pros and cons are definitely showing themselves.

Fail. So we get 38 games of s***ty divisional hockey vs Columbus and Minnesota but only get to see Toronto Montreal Boston Rangers Avs Ducks Sharks and Nucks twice each? Sorry, right now this blows...

LMFAO there's 16 teams eastern timenzoned teams and only 14 made the cut. I hate you for ruining my game Gary!

If you want to play those Western teams more, it would mean more travel.

The fact we don't play the Eastern teams more frequently is no different than the current format.

I mean I'm just saying. Doesn't it seem this was done very "quick and dirty"? I know this talk's been going down for years and years, but I feel like I found out about this current deal over the weekend and now it's set. No, not easy, but very all of a sudden.

I'm no NHL B of D or General Manager. On the surface, less travel is what all teams wanted and it looks like they got it. I like the new deal as a whole, but the pros and cons are definitely showing themselves.

Agreed, I'm not saying its perfect or anything, but some of the people saying "this has ruined the game forever" are being hyper-dramatic. The main goal was to reduce travel, that goal was accomplished for most teams. I'm not a huge fan of the lopsided schedule, but it may end up creating some pretty intense rivalries.

I'm not sure where anyone got this idea that the goal of realignment was focused on Detroit playing original six teams more often.

Edited by greenrebellion

If you want to play those Western teams more, it would mean more travel.

The fact we don't play the Eastern teams more frequently is no different than the current format.

You missed the point.

I'm sick if making new rivalries based on the latest whim of a s***box commissioner. How long till he squashes any new ones we make here?

FAIL.

You missed the point.

I'm sick if making new rivalries based on the latest whim of a s***box commissioner. How long till he squashes any new ones we make here?

FAIL.

What new rivalries? We already play Dallas and Minnesota four times a year. The others are all current divisional teams. Winnipeg is the only new rivalry here.

Or are you saying you want new rivalries for us? If so, then yes this isn't a good way to accomplish that.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I don't know about most hockey fans, but I personally don't like the whole playing against rivals every year in the 1st&2nd round of the playoffs. I could see it getting pretty boring playing STL and CHI every year in the playoffs. Also, this means that rivals like Det/CHI will never play each other beyond the 2nd round. I perosnally would keep whatever geographically-based schedule they have come up with and have no divisions/conferences and top 16 make the playoffs. You would get unique playoff matches and rivals could wind up playing each other in the finals. You could potentially have Det and CHI playing each other in the finals-I think that enhances the rivalry a lot more than playing in the opening rounds each year.

I don't know about most hockey fans, but I personally don't like the whole playing against rivals every year in the 1st&2nd round of the playoffs. I could see it getting pretty boring playing STL and CHI every year in the playoffs. Also, this means that rivals like Det/CHI will never play each other beyond the 2nd round. I perosnally would keep whatever geographically-based schedule they have come up with and have no divisions/conferences and top 16 make the playoffs. You would get unique playoff matches and rivals could wind up playing each other in the finals. You could potentially have Det and CHI playing each other in the finals-I think that enhances the rivalry a lot more than playing in the opening rounds each year.

Yeah, I guess that part is disappointing. A Wings/Hawks SCF would be awesome. But how often would that happen anyway? It's a stretch.

Which rivalries did Bettman squash in the past?

Our original 6 rivalries are nothing like they used to be. We have a good thing going with the Avs, sharks, and ducks, and now we'll only see any of these teams twice a year - trade the new for old, fine, but stop forcing the rivalries. Other than the hawks, we don't have s*** in this division which puts us in the same boat as before, but gives us less conference rivals. I get the arguments that forced the restructure, but this is poor execution.

We'll be more excited when he gives us another Stanley Cup. :P

Yeah really. Get on the ball Kenny.

Also, this means that rivals like Det/CHI will never play each other beyond the 2nd round.

Yeah that part sucks. Kind of like how Washington and Pittsburgh played each other in the 2nd round.

Yea I'm not a Bettman fan, but he actually created new rivalries, leaving the old ones intact, when he broke the league up into 6 divisions.

Lol. Whats the last great Wings/ Rangers game you can remember? Wings / Toronto? They always play each other hard, but its nothing like it used to be. Its hard to build hate for a team when you only see them once a year (if the planets align right). I think a fair statement would be bettman created new rivalries and the old ones limped along despite his interference.

Yeah, I guess that part is disappointing. A Wings/Hawks SCF would be awesome. But how often would that happen anyway? It's a stretch.

It is. However, when you add all the other rivalries throughout the league the probability of a traditional rival Finals matchup increases.I don't know, playing rivals every year in the playoffs kind of lessens the impact IMO. It should be big deal if teams like MTL-TOR meet in the playoffs, not something that should become routine.

So does anyone know for a fact how the third round seeding will happen? If it's regular season points it'll mean we can play against for example SJ / Van in the Cup finals, which would be pretty nice. If it's west vs. west and east vs. east I'll be a lot less excited.

But yeah I guess I have to agree this is a good change overall for us, with my timezone I welcome any change that means less late games.

Thinking reseeding after the second round based on points makes the most sense. The Western teams got kind of the shaft on this plan since all of those teams will be playing in two time zones instead of one in their respective division/conferences, while all of the Eastern teams stay in the same time zone (you have to consider that to be part of geographical logistics though). It's only fair that the Eastern teams could potentially face an Eastern/Western time zone 3rd round series.

For those of you that thought the Wings were just going to get shifted into East in the two conference format, based on Bettman's promise, that just wasn't going to happen based on how the vote would have come out on that (the stars just couldn't align on that due to the movement of teams since that promise). Too many teams in the Western rely on the extra revenue when the Wings come into town and I'm sure the Eastern team owners were salivating about the potential of having the Wings in their building at least once a season.

For the Wings, this realignment is the lesser of two evils that would have happened regarding how the Board of Governors would have voted. I like the home and home against every other team. My hopes of being in the same division as the Leafs and Pens have been scratched for now, but with the future Florida, Phoenix and Columbus in question, that could change.

Of course Kenny is happy we have to get through Chicago to make the Conference Finals every year lol... This is all while, La, Vancouver, Anaheim, San Jose all beat the snot out of each other and only one makes it out, and in the east. Philly, Washington, Pitt, NYR, and NJ all dot he same while only one makes it out. The other conference is kinda the same shoes. Tampa and Boston and a little bit of Buffalo Montreal, mixed with bad teams in Ott. Florida and Toronto.

On a pure chance to win the cup we are in a GREAT position on excitement during the NHL season, well that kinda is lacking.

Florida and Tampa Bay got jipped!

I wonder why the NHL didn't go with

Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, Philly, Pittsburgh, New Jersey

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, New York, New York

Of course Kenny is happy we have to get through Chicago to make the Conference Finals every year lol... This is all while, La, Vancouver, Anaheim, San Jose all beat the snot out of each other and only one makes it out, and in the east. Philly, Washington, Pitt, NYR, and NJ all dot he same while only one makes it out. The other conference is kinda the same shoes. Tampa and Boston and a little bit of Buffalo Montreal, mixed with bad teams in Ott. Florida and Toronto.

On a pure chance to win the cup we are in a GREAT position on excitement during the NHL season, well that kinda is lacking.

thumbup.gifgoal.gif