• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Let's see, the Wings wanted less travel out west especially during the playoffs & more games with traditional rivals in the east. And with this realignment they get....less travel out west & more games with traditional rivals in the east. How did the Wings get screwed with this move?

And from the reports I heard, the reason the 2 eastern conferences have 7 teams each & a better percentage chance to make the playoffs is to get those owners to buy off on the additional costs & travel time of now having more games out west under the new alignment. And for any complaints about teams missing the playoffs out west with more points than teams in the east, how is that any different than now?

#42 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, it's exciting for the rest of the league, but Detroit gets stuck with the reject teams. That's why they voted against it. It's like a Harvard grad being forced to ride on the short bus.

Teams ebb and flow; Islanders used to be a great franchise, now they suck...Chicago was horrid, now they are great. Minnesota is actually playing very well this year. Nashville is always competitive, the Chicago games will be a blast...and like someone else pointed out, we are playing these teams a bunch in the current format anyway. It accomplishes what it set to accomplish, reduce travel, with the exception of the Florida teams.

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Would you rather have us in a division with the Hawks, Pens and Bruins or something?

And those reject teams are who we're playing against now.

Plus Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg.

That's my point. Technically, travel wise the Wings made out okay. But other than the Hawks, none of those teams are consistently good. Which means each and every year we will play the Hawks and the other round will rotate. Nothing changes. I think a lot of us wanted to see Original 6 matchups with real rivalries instead of the fake rivalries we've been fed for years.

Not a terrible realignment, just not really all that different for the Wings other than some shorter travel.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Here's the division I was hoping we'd be in. :hehe:

Wings
Penguins
Sharks
Canucks
Bruins
Flyers
Blackhawks
Capitals
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Per McKenzie, it appears the entire deal needs NHLPA approval (I don't see why they wouldn't approve) and the 3rd round and beyond playoff system is not set in stone, something the GM's will determine.

My link

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#46 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

I still think the easiest thing was to move Nashville to the South West, then move Dallas to the Central, Colorado to the Pacific, and Winnipeg to the North West.

I don't know if I'm for or against these new Conferences. I do think the NHL wussed out. Instead of telling the Wings they're better in the West, they did a big change not to make them mad.

Edited by Barrie, 05 December 2011 - 10:30 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#47 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

If it was so difficult, how come it only took an hour to pass?

Yes, you're right. Realigning an entire multi-billion dollar industry from the inside out is fairly simple.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Here's the division I was hoping we'd be in. :hehe:

Wings
Penguins
Sharks
Canucks
Bruins
Flyers
Blackhawks
Capitals

:D

#49 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Fail. So we get 38 games of s***ty divisional hockey vs Columbus and Minnesota but only get to see Toronto Montreal Boston Rangers Avs Ducks Sharks and Nucks twice each? Sorry, right now this blows...
LMFAO there's 16 teams eastern timenzoned teams and only 14 made the cut. I hate you for ruining my game Gary!
RIP #24

#50 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

Yes, Detroit might of done okay, but how in a million years you take two franchises and screw them (Fla, TB) just to get the Capitals in the Atlantic is a complete joke. Yea we got out okay, but I would have rather been in the north east with Montreal Toronto buffalo and Boston and such

#51 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

So the wings are in a division with Ott, Boll, Dorsett, Tootoo, Carcillo, David Backes, Barret Jackman, Adam Burish,Brett Bulmer, Tanner Glass, and Cal Clutterbuck now?

Time to sign Prust Kenny :thumbup:

Edited by newfy, 05 December 2011 - 10:37 PM.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#52 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yes, you're right. Realigning an entire multi-billion dollar industry from the inside out is fairly simple.

I mean I'm just saying. Doesn't it seem this was done very "quick and dirty"? I know this talk's been going down for years and years, but I feel like I found out about this current deal over the weekend and now it's set. No, not easy, but very all of a sudden.

I'm no NHL B of D or General Manager. On the surface, less travel is what all teams wanted and it looks like they got it. I like the new deal as a whole, but the pros and cons are definitely showing themselves.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#53 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Fail. So we get 38 games of s***ty divisional hockey vs Columbus and Minnesota but only get to see Toronto Montreal Boston Rangers Avs Ducks Sharks and Nucks twice each? Sorry, right now this blows...
LMFAO there's 16 teams eastern timenzoned teams and only 14 made the cut. I hate you for ruining my game Gary!

If you want to play those Western teams more, it would mean more travel.

The fact we don't play the Eastern teams more frequently is no different than the current format.

#54 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

I mean I'm just saying. Doesn't it seem this was done very "quick and dirty"? I know this talk's been going down for years and years, but I feel like I found out about this current deal over the weekend and now it's set. No, not easy, but very all of a sudden.

I'm no NHL B of D or General Manager. On the surface, less travel is what all teams wanted and it looks like they got it. I like the new deal as a whole, but the pros and cons are definitely showing themselves.

Agreed, I'm not saying its perfect or anything, but some of the people saying "this has ruined the game forever" are being hyper-dramatic. The main goal was to reduce travel, that goal was accomplished for most teams. I'm not a huge fan of the lopsided schedule, but it may end up creating some pretty intense rivalries.

I'm not sure where anyone got this idea that the goal of realignment was focused on Detroit playing original six teams more often.

Edited by greenrebellion, 05 December 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#55 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

Depending on how things go the rest of this year, wondering if this is gonna wanna make Nick stay another year (again).

#56 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

If you want to play those Western teams more, it would mean more travel.

The fact we don't play the Eastern teams more frequently is no different than the current format.

You missed the point.
I'm sick if making new rivalries based on the latest whim of a s***box commissioner. How long till he squashes any new ones we make here?
FAIL.
RIP #24

#57 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

You missed the point.
I'm sick if making new rivalries based on the latest whim of a s***box commissioner. How long till he squashes any new ones we make here?
FAIL.

Which rivalries did Bettman squash in the past?

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

You missed the point.
FAIL.

What new rivalries? We already play Dallas and Minnesota four times a year. The others are all current divisional teams. Winnipeg is the only new rivalry here.

Or are you saying you want new rivalries for us? If so, then yes this isn't a good way to accomplish that.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 December 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#59 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

"We're happy,'' general manager Ken Holland said. "Our fans should be excited and happy about it.''

http://www.mlive.com...py_excited.html

so BE HAPPY! hehe

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

"We're happy,'' general manager Ken Holland said. "Our fans should be excited and happy about it.''

http://www.mlive.com...py_excited.html

so BE HAPPY! hehe

We'll be more excited when he gives us another Stanley Cup. :P