• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Who Could be Dealt at the Deadline?

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Again, past is not prelude. The Wings were always up against the cap in previous years and could only send picks for trades. Now the Wings have virtually unlimited options, if they're willing to pay the cost. Holland won't be wasteful, but there are a couple expendable players on this roster (Emmerton, namely).

If the Wings were up against the cap, then they'd have had to send players in trades; they'd have had to dump salary to bring in salary.

Teamu Seleanne is the only target that I think makes sense with the "we don't want to spend a lot" mindset.

If that costs us Sheahan, I would consider it.

trade a 42 year old for a 20 year old power forward, something the organization lacks, just for one shot at the cup?

nooooooo.

trade a 42 year old for a 20 year old power forward, something the organization lacks, just for one shot at the cup?

nooooooo.

Yeah, but you only get so many chances in a time frame. Lids will retire eventually and then we will take a huge step back. There is no guarantee that we will be contenders after that point. Columbus has a power forward in Nash and can't do anything with him. I am not saying we will become the BJ's... I am just saying that we are going to end up having to give something to get something. I stand by thinking our European prospects being better than our North American prospects in forwards.

Yeah, but you only get so many chances in a time frame. Lids will retire eventually and then we will take a huge step back. There is no guarantee that we will be contenders after that point. Columbus has a power forward in Nash and can't do anything with him. I am not saying we will become the BJ's... I am just saying that we are going to end up having to give something to get something. I stand by thinking our European prospects being better than our North American prospects in forwards.

People said the same thing about Yzerman retiring, Shanny leaving, Fedorov leaving, and so on. This team goes far beyond Lids. When he retires, the Wings will reload. They always do.

I have to agree and say not to trade prospects for a 42 year old rental. Its just not worth one shot at the cup for a player that could provide top scoring talent for the Wings for many years to come.

People said the same thing about Yzerman retiring, Shanny leaving, Fedorov leaving, and so on. This team goes far beyond Lids. When he retires, the Wings will reload. They always do.

I have to agree and say not to trade prospects for a 42 year old rental. Its just not worth one shot at the cup for a player that could provide top scoring talent for the Wings for many years to come.

I have to agree with this as well, I'll also say I think since we do have a little more money then we usually do as some "expendable" assets so to speak, so I hope we don't dig too deep into our prospect well on a 42 year old. Now a 25-30 year old top six superstar is a whole other story...

The updates seem to make Sheahan out to be more than I have seen. He is developing, but he isn't finishing. I guess from looking at him on the FS net coverage, he looks to be able to handle himself well with everyone on the ice except the goaltenders. This is not what we need on the current team, but he might turn into a good bloke down the line.

When I suggested we trade him for Selanne, I have to admit that would be horrible overpayment. I don't know what it would take for Selanne, but considering we would have to move a forward for him... I would imagine Emmerton would be the deal on the table for him. Eaves would make sense as well, but I doubt they will want a concussed guy like him. Hudler would be a good trade for him, and I doubt with his UFA status and Holland's desire to keep the team together... it won't happen.

In the end, I still want Selanne. I think we win flat with him.

The updates seem to make Sheahan out to be more than I have seen. He is developing, but he isn't finishing. I guess from looking at him on the FS net coverage, he looks to be able to handle himself well with everyone on the ice except the goaltenders. This is not what we need on the current team, but he might turn into a good bloke down the line.

When I suggested we trade him for Selanne, I have to admit that would be horrible overpayment. I don't know what it would take for Selanne, but considering we would have to move a forward for him... I would imagine Emmerton would be the deal on the table for him. Eaves would make sense as well, but I doubt they will want a concussed guy like him. Hudler would be a good trade for him, and I doubt with his UFA status and Holland's desire to keep the team together... it won't happen.

In the end, I still want Selanne. I think we win flat with him.

Multiple choice question:

You are the GM for the Ducks and are looking to get maximum value for Selanne who wants to get traded to Detroit. Selanne will retire at the end of this season. Ken Holland has offered these choices. Which do you choose?

1. Emmerton, a 4th line player

2. Eaves, a 4th line player

3. Hudler, a 2nd line player in a contract year that had a poor season last season.

4. None of the above

Given the option for any of these players, I would probably pass on the deal. Emmerton and Eaves are easily replaceable players. Hudler would be the best choice of the bunch, but based on the season he had last season, I don't think that will happen. If anything, the Ducks GM will be going after a big prospect.

I like Selanne too, but I don't see the Ducks trading him.

I like Selanne too, but I don't see the Ducks trading him.

I am getting sick of talking about this.

Selanne will stay or be traded based ONLY ON WHAT HE WANTS!

They don't want to trade him, but he came back to win. He says he wants a trade and he gets traded. They owe him that, and all parties know this. The Wings are going to wait and see if he passes the word to them for a trade. It might not happen, but I hope it does.

I wouldn't worry about Conklin being traded. Waived on the other hand...

True, but if we can throw him on a trade, it would be better than waiving and losing him for nothing (not that he'll likely get picked up, but you never know).

I like Conks, but if he's not going to be up in the bigs with us, it's better for him that he go to a team where he's needed.

Don't forget Mike Commodore as well. He said Detroit wasn't the only team that offered him a contract on July 1st but clearly Babcock doesn't like him.

Shame, but five healthy scratches later and I have a feeling...

Don't forget Mike Commodore as well. He said Detroit wasn't the only team that offered him a contract on July 1st but clearly Babcock doesn't like him.

Shame, but five healthy scratches later and I have a feeling...

I really don't think it's a matter of Babs disliking Commodore but a simple log-jam on defence.

Another possibility is the Wings re-acquiring Quincey. Back when he was claimed off waivers I remember reading a that Holland commented to Kyle that he'd like to get him back into the fold at some point in the future. Adam Dater's speculated that Quincey could be a candidate to move at the deadline. Quincey is making 3.125 mil this season and will be an RFA this summer. He's on pace for 33pts this year (a 4 point jump from last season but below his career high of 38pts achieved in his first full NHL season). One big argument against this idea would be that Q is leading the Aves in time on ice per game and averaging more than 2mins on their pk and pp units so it's unlikely they've soured on him given how much he's being used.

Statsny is another Ave who's been dogged by trade rumours this season and over the summer. His production is the worst it's been (in terms of points per game) as an NHL player and he had a significant dip last season, it's possible a change of scenery would benefit him.

Johnny Oduya is a pending UFA on the Jets that I could imagine the Wings kicking the tires on as a depth guy.

Another possibility is the Wings re-acquiring Quincey. Back when he was claimed off waivers I remember reading a that Holland commented to Kyle that he'd like to get him back into the fold at some point in the future. Adam Dater's speculated that Quincey could be a candidate to move at the deadline. Quincey is making 3.125 mil this season and will be an RFA this summer. He's on pace for 33pts this year (a 4 point jump from last season but below his career high of 38pts achieved in his first full NHL season). One big argument against this idea would be that Q is leading the Aves in time on ice per game and averaging more than 2mins on their pk and pp units so it's unlikely they've soured on him given how much he's being used.

Statsny is another Ave who's been dogged by trade rumours this season and over the summer. His production is the worst it's been (in terms of points per game) as an NHL player and he had a significant dip last season, it's possible a change of scenery would benefit him.

Johnny Oduya is a pending UFA on the Jets that I could imagine the Wings kicking the tires on as a depth guy.

Any three guys would be OK. Especially Statsny.

I'd imagine Holland would want a veteran D-man over Quincy or Oduya though. A proven winner like Kubina fits the mold.

I like Quincy when he was in Detroit. Considering the circumstances when he came in during the 2007 playoffs, I thought he did really well. I would not be opposed to getting him back. I always felt like it was a mistake that we let him go. I forgot about Statsny. He would definitely do better elsewhere. He has the talent, but at $6.6 mil... its a big risk, considering he hasn't been very good the last two years.

I can't stand watching a game with Oduya in it. All I hear is "Ohh do ya?". If he played for the Wings, it'd drive me nuts.

I like Quincy when he was in Detroit. Considering the circumstances when he came in during the 2007 playoffs, I thought he did really well. I would not be opposed to getting him back. I always felt like it was a mistake that we let him go. I forgot about Statsny. He would definitely do better elsewhere. He has the talent, but at $6.6 mil... its a big risk, considering he hasn't been very good the last two years.

I can't stand watching a game with Oduya in it. All I hear is "Ohh do ya?". If he played for the Wings, it'd drive me nuts.

If Statsny wasn't being overpaid right now he probably wouldn't even be a subject of trade rumours. He's still a productive NHL player so the Wings would have to be willing to eat his salary based on the hope that he'd bounce back and return to form as a point per game player.

on the subject of Jets what about Kane? Reports say if the Jets are sellers come deadline they might look at moving him for prospects and picks.

I heard that nobody on the Jets in "untouchable," but they would trade their pending UFAs before players they have signed longer term. He's also a fan favorite there if I remember correctly.

Not sure if he is a fan favorite anymore then any Jet in Winnipeg! When I look at their roster on capgeek I think he looks like he might be dealt. How about a package of Kane and Marc Stuart for Kindl and picks or?

I am going to save this for reposting, because it needs to be said.

I truly believe our options are so few and the prices are so high, we can't be involved in the deadline this year. We need to let the farm grow, and the youngsters on the roster prove themselves. Free agency the next two years has too much potential and too much on the line to risk our own adding pieces now.