• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Crashnburnluder

Bertuzzi Contract Extension

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

Bertuzzi's shootout skills alone may net us home ice advantage for the next two seasons.

glad he's back but one year should have been done this is the 35+ situation .... Holland did this with homer too but should have done one year only wit that as well. You never know bert could age fast and be done next year then what do you do,,.,?

Im a BC boy and have been a fan of Bertuzzi since the Canucks got him from the Isles in the late 90's ... hes not as big, as fast, or as mean as he was in his "prime" but how many big men in the league today have hands like this guy? Hes evolving as a player and really doing his best to be a team guy. If Bert stays healthy this move will pay off. I really hope this guy can lift the Cup before he hangs'em up.

Bert played extremely well in the playoffs last year, he dropped the gloves a few times and had the crowd chanting Todd Bertuzzi all night some games. Bert is loved in Detroit, and he loves the city also, and he enjoys playing for the organization. Bert also provides an edge of physicality on the top line along Pavel and creates space for him, although alot of the penalties he takes are on reputation only. This is a good signing, and hope he performs like this year for another 2 years.

Bert played extremely well in the playoffs last year, he dropped the gloves a few times and had the crowd chanting Todd Bertuzzi all night some games. Bert is loved in Detroit, and he loves the city also, and he enjoys playing for the organization. Bert also provides an edge of physicality on the top line along Pavel and creates space for him, although alot of the penalties he takes are on reputation only. This is a good signing, and hope he performs like this year for another 2 years.

ughh ya sooo ... who's the chick?? lol

Where'd you hear this? Hope you're right, either way.

Sorry, should have clarified:

Fact: Cleary's NTC expired a couple weeks ago.

Conjecture: Holland must have had a plan for that. He either thought we might need to cut salary come the trade deadline or he might have thought Cleary would make good trade bait, otherwise he doesn't have the NTC expire around a trade deadline.

I doubt Hudler, Cleary, Holmstrom and Stuart will all be here next year. Possibly even Kindl and Emmerton gone this seaosn. We'll have a completely new team next season and Bertuzzi is a great Vet to have with an infusion of young guns next season.

I suspect Holmstrom may hang em up after this year. Weird that Cleary's NTC expired this time of the year. Doubt Ken did that by accident. I wouldn't be heartbroken if we packaged Kindl, Cleary, and Emmerton at the deadline for a grinder and a guy that can play some offense. Someone mentioned Samuel Pahlsson earlier, meh. Ideally, I'd like to get someone we could keep around for a while. Pahlsson is beginning to age. I actually would be open to Steve Ott here.

Good to hear Bert is likely coming back next year. I would've liked to see a one-year deal, but oh well. Hopefully he can continue his production for 2 more years.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I really like Bertuzzi, and the element he brings to the team. I am glad Holland sees him, as an asset, instead of this old relic he keeps around.

And just a quick story from the last game I went to. During the game when the Wings were here playing the Coyotes last time, there was this guy, (a Red Wings fan), about five rows up from where I was sitting. Nearly every time Bert was on the ice, he would yell out, "come on Bert, end somebodies career tonight!" I know I shouldn't have laughed, but I chuckled a little bit, and shook my head. The name Bertuzzi is just flat out infamous! This team takes a lot of s***, about being so called soft, but I like the infamous Bertuzzi name on this team.

Bertuzzi's been good the last couple years, he was about the only guy producing for a stretch last year. But I think this should have waited until early July (see what else is available), been for one year (he is 37), and been for less money.

Detroit — Todd Bertuzzi and the Red Wings are close to a two-year contract extension but a few hurdles remain.

Bertuzzi's agent Pat Morris and Wings general manager Ken Holland expect to talk Thursday and hammer out the final details on a two-year extension that would total approximately $4.2 million, or $2.1 million per season.

"Anytime you're talking, you're getting closer to a deal," Holland said. "Todd gives us a presence. He's worked hard here and bought into the system. He's a player who has size and skill, and he's healthy and skating real well now."

Morris agreed both sides are close to a deal.

"I'm optimistic we can get something done, but I don't want to set any timetable," Morris said. "There are few small details that need to be worked out. I expect to chat with Kenny here in the next little while and we'll see what happens.

"Todd doesn't want to go anywhere. He's been good for Detroit and Detroit has been good for Todd. The way he's skating, it belies his birth certificate (37).

"All that (a deal) can happen, but we'll see."

Bertuzzi, who could be an unrestricted free agent this summer, is the final season of a two-year contract that averages $1.937 million.

Bertuzzi has 29 points (12 goals, 17 assists) in 54 games and has thrived since being put on a line with Pavel Datsyuk and Johan Franzen.

Bertuzzi and the Red Wings play the Vancouver Canucks, one of Bertuzzi's old teams, Thursday at Joe Louis Arena.

Holland said talks with prospective unrestricted free agents Brad Stuart and Tomas Holmstrom will be put off until after the season.

Stuart, 32, will likely test free agency and has expressed a desire to move closer to his family in California. Holmstrom, 39, who recently played his 1,000th career game, will decide whether to play another season.