• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Since we're nearing the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 Cup run, I thought I'd start this poll.

My personal favorite was Larionov's overtime goal against Carolina. Still the loudest I've ever screamed during any game or any Wings goal.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Roy lying in the net after we lit him up in the first period of game seven. His misery felt soooo good.

#3 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Larionov for sure. I was still young then so it seemed like the longest game ever. I was up, but 3/4 asleep...and when he scored I was so excited I was ready to start my day. Lol

#4 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hasek save, Chelios clears to Stevie bounces to Shanny empty net.. Cup ours!!!!

#5 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

i just watched all those clips (couldnt find pronger injury) on youtube and the shanny goal brought a tear to my eye, so i picked that one.

the moment where you know its over and we won the cup is just incredible, eventhough it probably wasnt the best play of the run.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#6 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Oh man. I cannot vote in this one.

The statue of liberty goal was my most vivid Red Wing moment and the Larianov goal was the biggest goal that year.

But.... what if Pavel scored here?

Edited by FunkedUp, 06 April 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#7 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Close call between the failures of evil Roy and evil Pronger. Roy wins cause I still think that he's evil but Pronger I've somewhat forgiven.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

i just watched all those clips (couldnt find pronger injury) on youtube and the shanny goal brought a tear to my eye, so i picked that one.

the moment where you know its over and we won the cup is just incredible, eventhough it probably wasnt the best play of the run.

Here's the clip. Pronger missed the rest of the series and most of the following season because of this injury. Yzerman was obviously a target because of his knee injury and lack of mobility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb_fmWpcbag

Edited by GMRwings1983, 06 April 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#9 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Since we're nearing the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 Cup run, I thought I'd start this poll.

My personal favorite was Larionov's overtime goal against Carolina. Still the loudest I've ever screamed during any game or any Wings goal.

Yup.

Still remember watching it with my dad up until 1:14 in the morning when he scored. Amazing game.

Posted Image

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yup.

Still remember watching it with my dad up until 1:14 in the morning when he scored. Amazing game.

It's easy to forget that Detroit had to score with the goalie pulled just to tie it up. (We don't do things like that anymore <_< ).

#11 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I voted the statue of Liberty play. Not because I'm so negative that I loved seeing his failure (I did love it, though), but because it was such a turning point in the playoffs. From that moment on the Wings were pretty relentless.

That was also while the rivalry was going very strong, to me it was always such an awesome feeling when the Wings would beat the Aves.

All of those moments are awesome though, the OT goal was pretty memorable as well.
Posted Image

#12 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Shannys empty net
Sorry, somehow I never learned how to put a video in, any way.... just listen to the Joe on this one.

Edited by stevieisthebest, 06 April 2012 - 12:31 PM.

"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I voted the statue of Liberty play. Not because I'm so negative that I loved seeing his failure (I did love it, though), but because it was such a turning point in the playoffs. From that moment on the Wings were pretty relentless.

That was also while the rivalry was going very strong, to me it was always such an awesome feeling when the Wings would beat the Aves.

All of those moments are awesome though, the OT goal was pretty memorable as well.

That play did turn that series around for sure.

But the true "turning point in the playoffs" would have to be Lidstrom's goal on Cloutier. I'm surprised more people aren't voting for that one really.

#14 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Got me watching highlights so thanks! :D

Just wondering though, when did the 'tradition' come in that players don't touch the conference trophies? Because in 2002 both captains raised their respective conference trophies. Wouldn't be a surprise if it was a league mandated request

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#15 Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Tim Cheveldae's Ghost

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Brett Hull's tying goal in Game 3 was the most important, IMO.

#16 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Y'know, I voted for Larionov's goal. But, now that I think about it, the Game 7 Avs blowout was probably one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.

Man, that whole run was a joy.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#17 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

It's easy to forget that Detroit had to score with the goalie pulled just to tie it up. (We don't do things like that anymore <_< ).

That was also when Lidstrom could play 4 straight minutes in the 3rd period to make sure we tied it up. :hehe:

Posted Image

#18 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Center Ice goal was the most important. Definitely would've lost to Vancouver if Lids didn't blast that one. And the thing is, Canucks fans would still talk about the series win to this day.

bringit.jpg

#19 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I rate the statue of liberty as being one of the most influential moments in playoff history. The series was pretty tight at that point, with the Avs holding onto some good momentum. That play doesn't happen, and Colorado could have easily ended up hoisting the Cup that summer, with how that series was heading.

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I rate the statue of liberty as being one of the most influential moments in playoff history. The series was pretty tight at that point, with the Avs holding onto some good momentum. That play doesn't happen, and Colorado could have easily ended up hoisting the Cup that summer, with how that series was heading.

For some reason (back then I was actually optimistic) I felt that we would win that game 6.

Obviously, in a tight defensive series and before the "new NHL" rules were implemented, any goal was huge. That goal wound up being the winning goal, and the first time in the series the Wings scored first.