• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

Allowing for UFAs to leave and bringing in no one else besides our RFAs, our roster looks something like this next year:

Franzen - Dats - Cleary

Filppula - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Miller - Helm - Bertuzzi

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Mursak/Eaves

Kronwall - White

Quincey - Ericcson

Kindl - Smith

Howard

Joey Joe Joe

I don't know Holland's off season plans, but it seems clear to me where upgrades would be desirable to complement the existing players and provide depth:

Defensive D-men (to provide stability for offensive ability / defensive liability of existing d-men):

- Ideal: fantasy options like Suter would be nice

- More realistic: might include Cory Sarich or Greg Zanon. Komisarek could be available for cheap, but would be risky.

- further depth in potential UFAs: BUF's Sulzer, S Hannan, C Stoner, P Harrold, J Woywitka, K Huskins, A Rome

Heavy lifters upfront (to play a role like Hartnell or Burrows on the top lines, like Homer used to do and Bert tries to do)

- Ideal: someone who can play this role in the top 6 such as Rick Nash, Chris Stewart

- Also potentially valuable: a true fourth line centre with size, such as Gaustad or Zenon Konopka

- Other potential UFAs that might be play good secondary roles: David Jones, Adam Burish, Colin Fraser, Steve Bernier, Travis Moen, Brandon Yip, Brandon Prust, Taylor Pyatt, Daniel Winnik, Torrey Mitchell, Jim Slater. Depth: Chris Durno, Adam Hall

Back up goalie:

- I like Joey Mac but his back is a concern. Lots of options here among "young vets" like UFAs Biron, Clemmensen, Leighton, Niittymaki or younger, like Harding or even Gustavsson (another gamble if the price was right). Not to mention the oldies like Turco, Vokoun, Hasek...etc...but I've been trying to conider players who will help this team get younger

Guess we'll wait and see who is available in the marketplace! Happy off-season...

You are all forgetting, he said he would most likely be done when Lids retires.

Lids said he wanted to retire when he didn't feel up to hockey anymore.

Lids played like a player not up to hockey anymore, and had his ice time go down and while I AM NOT SUGGESTING HE PLAYED POORLY, he did seem less interested than in other years.

I think he won't play next year, and I hope I am wrong.

If he doesn't, it is quite possible Nill is in charge next year.

This whole thread could be null in void.

The more people talk about Parise and Suter the less I think we'll actually get them.

esteef

Also, why would Suter and Parise choose to come here? Nashville just proved to be better than us. There are other teams out there that have promise. s***, I think I would go to Edmonton if I were them before Detroit.

Lidstrom disinterested? Wow that's a dumb observation. The guy was getting cortisone injections before games. He was basically playing with 1 leg. He was clearly hampered and far from 100%.

I think Parise is a very real option. Suter is gonna get $8 million/year from someone. If Lidstrom returns, which I don't believe he will, Holland needs to get realistic and offer him a $2 million base. This $6-7 mill/year BS is only hurting the club.

What were Zach's recent comments on the Wings? Just curious as I hadn't heard them.

Parise over Suter, if that's what it comes to. We need offense to help Zetterberg and Datsyuk. If Lidstrom does retire, it MAY be possible to sign both Parise and Suter, but I wouldn't bank on it. Which ever big name player we do or don't get (we sorely need one), the overall depth at forward needs to improve drastically. Someone to win faceoffs. More physical, grinding players.

Also, why would Suter and Parise choose to come here? Nashville just proved to be better than us. There are other teams out there that have promise. s***, I think I would go to Edmonton if I were them before Detroit.

To make the team better, a threat? Money? The stability of the organization? The players? There's more that goes through a player's head when making a decision than just "HURR DURR MY TEAM JUST BEAT THEM SO I'M NOT GOING THERE LOLOLOL THEY SUCK I'D RATHER STAY HERE LAWL"

With that said, the wings haven't landed a big name FA since Rafalski and I don't even remember the last one before him. Can't imagine Kenny would get the top 2 in one offseason.

With that said, the wings haven't landed a big name FA since Rafalski and I don't even remember the last one before him. Can't imagine Kenny would get the top 2 in one offseason.

Hossa, summer 2008. This was one summer after Rafalski .

Edited by rick zombo

Hmmmm... according to the MLive article, Parise and Suter are good friends.

"Meet me in Detroit?" :D /optimism

Edited by b.shanafan14

Ok, so I have thought about it some more. Here is what Ken does:

He goes to the draft, trades Hudlers rights for a top 5 pick from one of the teams. Then he turns around and packages that top pick with a prospect and franzen and trades them for Nash. Then he picks up Arnott and Suter on July 1st. Then our lines look like this:

Nash - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Fillpulla - Zetterberg - Cleary

Eaves - Arnott - Holmstrom

Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

Emmerton/holmstrom

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Suter

Ericsson - Quincey

Quincey/Smith

Thoughts?

Ok, so I have thought about it some more. Here is what Ken does:

He goes to the draft, trades Hudlers rights for a top 5 pick from one of the teams. Then he turns around and packages that top pick with a prospect and franzen and trades them for Nash. Then he picks up Arnott and Suter on July 1st. Then our lines look like this:

Nash - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Fillpulla - Zetterberg - Cleary

Eaves - Arnott - Holmstrom

Emmerton/holmstrom

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Suter

Ericsson - Quincey

Quincey/Smith

Thoughts?

Are you joking? hudler's UFA rights for a top 5 pick? what are you smoking?

Are you joking? hudler's UFA rights for a top 5 pick? what are you smoking?

Everything I have read says this years draft isn't that great and hudler is player ready to play now, and is pretty decent. He would help out a team like columbus, edmonton or one of the other bottom feeders that need someone who has been deep in the season. If not a top 5 then a top 10. Its worth a gamble. What would suggest to get Nash without giving up more than one or two starters?

Everything I have read says this years draft isn't that great and hudler is player ready to play now, and is pretty decent. He would help out a team like columbus, edmonton or one of the other bottom feeders that need someone who has been deep in the season. If not a top 5 then a top 10. Its worth a gamble. What would suggest to get Nash without giving up more than one or two starters?

So you are serious? Sean Couturier was like 8th overall and look what he did to Malkin? And you think a player in top 5 would be worth Hudlers UFA RIGHTS? UFA rights are worthless seeing as teams can wait to sign them later, nobody is gonna jump off the deep end trying to acquire hudler. I assure you that THIS NEVER EVER EVER WILL HAPPEN. That GM would be fired in a heartbeat and everyone would laugh so hard.

So you are serious? Sean Couturier was like 8th overall and look what he did to Malkin? And you think a player in top 5 would be worth Hudlers UFA RIGHTS? UFA rights are worthless seeing as teams can wait to sign them later, nobody is gonna jump off the deep end trying to acquire hudler. I assure you that THIS NEVER EVER EVER WILL HAPPEN. That GM would be fired in a heartbeat and everyone would laugh so hard.

Well if he doesn't go for it then we don't lose anything, if he does then thats on him for over reaching. Again, what would you propose to get Nash?

Well if he doesn't go for it then we don't lose anything, if he does then thats on him for over reaching. Again, what would you propose to get Nash?

We won't be getting Nash within the division. The price would be like Fil, Franzen, Nyquist, and 1st for next year. Look at what they asked for from the Rangers - i think it was more than what I proposed.

Well, if Nash isn't available, then its back to this:

Parise - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi

Fillpula - Zetterberg - Franzen

Cleary - Arnott - Holmstrom

Eaves/Holmstrom

Lidstrom - White

Suter - Kronwall

Ericsson - Quincey

Smith/Quincey

Edited by plopster