• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeonardSankar

What's Kenny Holland's Offseason Plan?

Rate this topic

I certainly hope it's Suter then everyone else...IMO Suter is priority #1 UFA to get signed here. The rest, including Lidstrom are secondary...

Alright, I'm going to try a different tact with you this time around, so I'm going to propose two questions to you that I've been wondering about since you began your advocacy for Suter (and Parise, but I don't want to deal with him here).

1. What is it about Ryan Suter or his game that makes you want him so badly?

2. What is the maximum that you would pay for Ryan Suter to get him on this team?

Edited by kipwinger

Alright, I'm going to try a different tact with you this time around, so I'm going to propose two questions to you that I've been wondering about since you began your advocacy for Suter (and Parise, but I don't want to deal with him here).

1. What is it about Ryan Suter or his game that makes you want him so badly?

2. What is the maximum that you would pay for Ryan Suter to get him on this team?

I feel, and it is just my opinion, that Ryan Suter is the closest thing we can acquire to having anyone near the talent of Lidstrom. He is better than any of our current defensemen that are under contract. As for salary, I think $7.5M would be what I would top out at. Like I said, I am sure he will get plenty of offers that are over and above that amount and it'll be up to him to sign with a contender (whether it's Detroit or not) or make the max in Columbus. Now if a contender offer's him $9M, then that is fine too. I think my max would be $7.5M, if not then there are other, not so talented options out there too. LA right now, is proving that you don't really need that high dollar defender to win, so if no Suter, then maybe a couple of $4M B class hard working defensemen that aren't named Quincey...

edit: Sorry, just checked and I didn't know Doughty was at $7M per season, guess that theory was wrong! :lol: But honestly, now knowing that he is only at $7M, $7.5M should be plenty to get Suter signed...but to add to that theory, the Rags highest paid D man is less than $4M and it isn't hurting them!

Edited by LeftWinger

Ok, here's another one.

3. Do you think Ryan Suter is one of the ten best defensemen in the league?

added: and if you do, what makes you say so?

Maybe...but with Lids at or near the end, he is definitely near the top if not the top available defender's right now. I just think that right now, this team doesn't have that one D man that will take over... But like I said, I am sure there can be a couple of D-men signed for less that could cover the loss of Lidstrom too...

...and with all the talk about Suter/Parise, I think it is more important to solidify the D before the O...It's a more crucial position and obviously the Red Wings wouldn't have been nowhere near as consistent without Lidstrom for the past 20 years...

Edited by LeftWinger

You know, considering how thin this UFA pool is, and looking at next summer's pool...I won't be surprised if Holland sits on his hands, does just about nothing.

That's what I'm saying, but I actually think it's a good thing. I REALLY don't want to see the Wings overspend on Suter given that I think depth in the top six is more of a problem, and the fact that Parise is a better forward than Suter is a defenseman. If we're going to be forced to overspend in a bidding war, I'd rather it be Parise. Defensively, I think we could make a couple of acquisitions that would help us out alot and not force us to overspend.

Contingent on Lidstrom coming back, Quincey re-signing, and Stuart leaving I'd like to see this...

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Bryan Allen

Ericsson-Quincey

Smith

or if Quincey doesn't come back then this...

Lidstrom-Carle

Kronwall-Brian Allen

Ericsson-White

Smith

I really like Allen as a replacement for Stuart, they play a similar game and have similar skating ability, but Allen is bigger and stronger. I also like Carle in if Quincey doesn't want to stay, as he's got good offensive instincts, is bigger than White for the top pairing role, skates well, and can play big minutes.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96   
Guest Johnz96

You know, considering how thin this UFA pool is, and looking at next summer's pool...I won't be surprised if Holland sits on his hands, does just about nothing.

I would rather he did than overpay for anybody or gets somebody just because we have cap space. Scoring is a strength for us more than anything we need to get bigger and tougher and there are not any UFAs this year that can provide either and actually play hockey while there should be a some available next year

I would rather he did than overpay for anybody or gets somebody just because we have cap space. Scoring is a strength for us more than anything we need to get bigger and tougher and there are not any UFAs this year that can provide either and actually play hockey while there should be a some available next year

In an effort to get "bigger and tougher" who do you think we should get, and who do you think we should get rid of?

I'm not sure if they're eligible. I tossed the question out to Sproul on twitter... we'll see what happens. Both got their entry level contracts but are slide eligible (meaning if they don't play 10 NHL games in the first season of the contract it slides back another year without counting towards the 3 contract years). I know Holland's stated that the intention is to play Jurco in GR this season, so hopefully he can live up to expectations and tear things up! Almqvist is definitely in GR this coming season as well (again according to a Jimmy D interview). Sounds like Quine is returning to jr for another year, though.

For guys coming out of the CHL, they must be 20 years of age, or have played 4 years of junior hockey in order to make the jump full time (although, they can sign those ATO contracts and finish the year in the AHL). You're right about Jurco and Almqvist making the jump, though. I'm very interested to see how Jurco does next season.

Guest Hatethedrake!   
Guest Hatethedrake!

WIngs trade Franzen, Filppula, Mursak, Quincey, 1st for Nash. Would Kenny make this trade? Would Columbus? They would likely want Nyquist and Smith included. Ah Columbus will not deal Nash to the Wings anyway because they are in the same division. Nash will likely go to the Rangers or Leafs.

WIngs trade Franzen, Filppula, Mursak, Quincey, 1st for Nash. Would Kenny make this trade? Would Columbus? They would likely want Nyquist and Smith included. Ah Columbus will not deal Nash to the Wings anyway because they are in the same division. Nash will likely go to the Rangers or Leafs.

I want more changes than anyone, but even I wouldn't make that trade.

No way. As much as I dislike Franzen work ethic there is no way we package him with flip and add more onto it for Nash who has never averaged a PPG in his career. I know Columbus is a bad team, but I would rather try for Parise at 7 million.

Guest Hatethedrake!   
Guest Hatethedrake!

No way. As much as I dislike Franzen work ethic there is no way we package him with flip and add more onto it for Nash who has never averaged a PPG in his career. I know Columbus is a bad team, but I would rather try for Parise at 7 million.

Trade Franzen and Filppula for Nash and sign Parise.

Parise/Semin-Datsyuk-Franzen

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler/Nyquist

Bert-Abby-Cleary

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Mursak

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Bryan Allen

Ericsson-Quincey

Smith

or if Quincey doesn't come back...

Lidstrom-Matt Carle

Kronwall-Bryan Allen

Ericsson-White

Smith

Howard

McDonald

Note: I've explained in the "Iginla" thread that I would only want Semin if we can't land Parise and we could get him on a one year contract for no higher than 4.5 million.

What would our top six look like if we did this?

Why not let some other team burden themselves with Nash's bloated contract.

For just his 7.8 million dollar cap hit we can afford Franzen, Flip and a gritty 3rd or 4th liner.

Trading for him would weaken the Wings not make them stronger.

Guest Hatethedrake!   
Guest Hatethedrake!

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($1.250m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

Brandon Prust ($1.250m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Travis Moen ($1.750m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Ryan Suter ($7.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,804,167; BONUSES: $37,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $195,833