Photo
- - - - -

Luongo gone from Vancouver this summer ...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

Don't need Luongo, not real happy with Howard either, but i'd take Howard over Luongo, now if only Ryan Miller was available, lol.

The Miller brothers in one team, sounds like a dream, Miller time all the time.

#42 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

A goalie relies so much on the team in front of him, a good defensive team can really make a goalie look good by not allowing odd man rushes, and clearing the puck after a rebound. This playoffs is a great example of it. Howard's stats are pretty unfair, he has close to the fewest shots against, but if you look at the odd man chances and defensive lapses the Wing's have had they are giving up the highest amount of quality scoring chances against, that's just not a good predicament for a goalie.

Howard is capable of winning a cup, it's just up to the players in front of him. I'd rather not run into the same "problem" in the playoffs with a 7 million dollar goalie like Luongo, Fleury, and Bryzgalov. If Howard starts letting in more and more bad goals when the wings are actually covering men, and not taking too many risks in the offensive end that result in odd man rushes then my mood will change. But until that happens I feel it's a much higher priority to become a good defensive team first , then deal with the goaltending problem if there would be one.

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Unless Luongo starts cranking out Vezina trophies or Stanley Cups, he's going to be in Vancouver for life. Nobody is going to trade for an underachieving goalie making $5.3 mil for the next 10 years. Not to mention, he's 33 right now, would anyone want a 43 year old goalie? He's not spectacular now, imagine 10 years from now. Right now, I don't see him being any better than Howard and Howie's $3 mil less. I like the current Wings formula of going cheap on the goalie and spending money elsewhere.