• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I can barely tolerate one Franzen, let alone another.

Parise is a no doubter. I hope the opportunity to play with Pavel really entices him to Detroit. I feel like the Red Wings are the team to beat, but that's purely a hunch and a lot can happen before free agency even starts.

I would love Suter, though I think that hinges on whether Nick returns. If Nick retires and Stuart indeed goes West, then Suter may become more of a necessity than Parise. I think there's a fairly decent chance Suter stays in Nashville too. More playoff games is additional revenue.

The impact players drop off a lot after Parise and Suter. The Red Wings really need to come away with whichever one they deem a bigger priority.

Edited by GoWings1905, 22 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

why the f*** would we get semin?
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

why the f*** would we get semin?

Because he had a dog-s*** year and still had 21 goals. And has a 40 goal ceiling. And because Datsyuk needs someone to slap around.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#24 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

The problem with Suter and Parise is if they wait, weighing options, before they sign. Meanwhile all the other free agents will be sucked up.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#25 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Because he had a dog-s*** year and still had 21 goals. And has a 40 goal ceiling. And because Datsyuk needs someone to slap around.

he is a dog s*** player, the weakest nhl player, not to mention in the wings system he would be 10x lazier than franzen.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#26 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

datsyuk has said multiple times he would like another russian on the team and semin has shown some heart these playoffs. I'd like to think that datsyuk could bring out the best in his countryman and we could use a right hand sniper in our lineup. If franzen is traded for other things semin would be great. But like others said, our top 6 doesn't have room for two chronic egotistic floaters.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#27 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Has no one been watching the Caps / Bruins series?
Semin has been Washingtons best player (not named Holtby) diving blocking shots and everything.

Believe it or not..players DO change. What would it hurt to sign him for one year?
If he's as s***ty as everyone on this board thinks, then he's gone after one year. I think Detroit should gamble on him if he makes it to UFA.

Edited by SaCkaveli20, 23 April 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

he is a dog s*** player, the weakest nhl player, not to mention in the wings system he would be 10x lazier than franzen.

It's kind of hard to be lazier than Franzen, and the Wings system isn't that great anymore. Hossa was a floater, Hull was a floater most of his career. Semin is a floater and a sniper, he could hit 40 or 50 playing with his countryman and National teammate. Datsyuk needs that type of player, he needs a pure scorer. There is NOBODY on the Wings that compliments Dastyuk in that fashion and nobody in the system ready to step up to the first line and keep up with Dats. Nyquist has shown flashes, but by time he is a legit #1 line player, Dats will be in his last contract and headed towards retirement...he needs help now. Besides, its not like they will be acquiring Hossa again or even Kovalchuk

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#29 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Now I like parise>semin, but you cant pin all your hopes on one guy to sign here. What if parise or suter get there rights traded? Actually im sure they will be since teams will get whatever then can before they lose a player(Ehrhoff, Bryzgalov). So must keep all options open and semin to me is a really good option as well, and what does he have over parise? A right handed shot, can you imagine actually having a one timer from the other side finally on the power play?

#30 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

I think Kenny only goes after Semin if he can't sign Parise.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#31 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Semin has been Washingtons best player (not named MHoltby) diving blocking shots and everything.

I'm not on the bring Semin in bandwagon but I've watched a good amount of Caps games this year and Semin is not deserving of the reputation he has on these boards. I'm not saying he's amazing but he most certainly is not lazy. He does make some mistakes defensively but at the right price he should be considered (in my opinion).

Perfect example was Boston's 3rd goal yesterday. Semin tried to get the puck to the net but Seguin took it the other way. The announcers, instead of ripping Backstrom's extremely lazy back checking, decided to blame Semin for the turnover while ignoring him busting his butt back and tying up the Bruins stick on a wide open net. If Backstrom had hustled back as hard as Semin he easily would have been in position to stop Ference from tying the game.

People who question Semin's effort should take a look at that play.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm not on the bring Semin in bandwagon but I've watched a good amount of Caps games this year and Semin is not deserving of the reputation he has on these boards. I'm not saying he's amazing but he most certainly is not lazy. He does make some mistakes defensively but at the right price he should be considered (in my opinion).

Perfect example was Boston's 3rd goal yesterday. Semin tried to get the puck to the net but Seguin took it the other way. The announcers, instead of ripping Backstrom's extremely lazy back checking, decided to blame Semin for the turnover while ignoring him busting his butt back and tying up the Bruins stick on a wide open net. If Backstrom had hustled back as hard as Semin he easily would have been in position to stop Ference from tying the game.

People who question Semin's effort should take a look at that play.

Backstrom was definitely to blame for a couple of his incredibly lazy back checks. But I'm not convinced Semin has suddenly changed.

He was a healthy scratch a couple times this season for lack of effort. And we're talking about a 28 year old, not some kid. It's not that he's terrible. It's the same issue we have with Franzen. For as talented as he is, he should be more of a factor in games on a nightly basis. Instead he only seems dominant on some nights when he feels inspired.

Maybe he's finally decided to work hard every night but it's definitely still a gamble.

#33 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Semin has been Washingtons best player (not named MHoltby) diving blocking shots and everything.

Believe it or not..players DO change. What would it hurt to sign him for one year?
If he's as s***ty as everyone on this board thinks, then he's gone after one year. I think Detroit should gamble on him if he makes it to UFA.

He is likely playing for a contract, as soon as he gets the said contract he will stop playing to his potential again.
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#34 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Backstrom was definitely to blame for a couple of his incredibly lazy back checks. But I'm not convinced Semin has suddenly changed.

He was a healthy scratch a couple times this season for lack of effort. And we're talking about a 28 year old, not some kid. It's not that he's terrible. It's the same issue we have with Franzen. For as talented as he is, he should be more of a factor in games on a nightly basis. Instead he only seems dominant on some nights when he feels inspired.

Maybe he's finally decided to work hard every night but it's definitely still a gamble.

I will be the first to admit I dont watch every Caps game. However, I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Semin has suddenly changed, I think he was never as lazy as people have made him out to be. I think people expect him to produce tons of goals and points so when he doesnt they think he's just lazy. It's mostly, in my opinion, because he isn't amazing at any other portion of the game so when he's not rolling offensively then ppl think he sucks. To me he is overpaid at $6M but with scoring down league wide (on an individual player perspective) I don't think he's the only guy that looks to be a shell of his former self.

Maybe he's had far more bad games than I've ever had the displeasure of watching but I just think the guy gets way too much of a bad reputation. It's almost like the bias against Hudler on these boards. Do I love him and think the Wings need to keep him? No, but I don't think he is nearly as worthless as most posters would describe.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#35 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

4) Helm, I'd love to have back...but he's nothing more than a 4th line player too, and he's going to get expensive.

If Helmer is "nothing more than a 4th line player" why is he "going to get expensive." I think he is a lot more to this team than just a fourth line player hence the reason he will get more expensive. Hearing Babs talk about him after the lacerated tendons it seems that Babs thinks he brings more as well.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Half the guys on this team, and the head coach, and maybe even the GM (memory's a little hazy) stopped just short of calling Helm the heart of this team. Guy's not going anywhere anytime soon, especially considering what happened to him.

EDIT:

Hossa was a floater

Hossa was playing hurt, and he didn't exactly have a lot of time to learn the system.

Edited by Dabura, 23 April 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 heikks86

heikks86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

its his contract year of course hes going to try harder, so he can get a bigger contract. Once he gets the big contract he will go back to being lazy

#38 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

He is likely playing for a contract, as soon as he gets the said contract he will stop playing to his potential again.

Much like Franzen...

Half the guys on this team, and the head coach, and maybe even the GM (memory's a little hazy) stopped just short of calling Helm the heart of this team. Guy's not going anywhere anytime soon, especially considering what happened to him.

EDIT:

Hossa was playing hurt, and he didn't exactly have a lot of time to learn the system.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Hossa fan and defender. But he was mostly known as a scorer before he came here and not too much on the defensive end...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#39 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Would really like to see Parise and Suter as Red Wings next year

Would really like to see Parise and Suter as Red Wings next year
IPB Image

#40 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hossa was a floater

lol....Hossa is one of the best two way forwards in the league.

Why does everyone say he sucked for us in the playoffs? Dude had 16 points with a torn shoulder that required surgery. (which he missed the first two months of the following season)

He was great for us and Holland f***ed up huge letting him go.