• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Twitter Sources Not To Cite

Rate this topic

Although Twitter is probably the premiere way to get NHL news, there are a couple people who deal in baseless speculation, rather than reliable information. Here are some Twitter sources you shouldn't cite/believe:

@Eklund

@NHLSourcesSay

@NHL_Trade

@NHLTheInsider

@hchockeytalk

@The_Creasy

Proceed With Caution:

@HockeyyInsiderr

@RobRossi_Trib

@andystrickland

If you have any more suggestions, please post them!

Although Twitter is probably the premiere way to get NHL news, there are a couple people who deal in baseless speculation, rather than reliable information. Here are some Twitter sources you shouldn't cite/believe:

@Eklund

@HockeyyInsiderr

@NHLSourcesSay

@andystrickland (sometimes good, usually not)

If you have any more suggestions, please post them?

This guy, with his insider knowledge from working with 4 NHL organisations, is actually KING of confirming deals a few minutes after everyone else has. Not to mention he has it on good authority that possibly 25 out of 30 teams are in the running for any one player at any one time. True story.

Seriously though, he's like "MIN in talks with X. Also PIT, DET, NYR, NYI, DAL, TBL, TOR, ANA, LAK. Hasn't ruled out NSH, COL, CBJ, CAR, FLA, or NJD... VAN, OTT, SJS also a possibility". He knows nothing. I didn't see any 'insider information' that actually lead to a trade/deal. He even managed to announce a signing about an hour before the player signed elsewhere. Granted TSN did that as well but they just broadcast the news, they don't claim divine right on it.

EDIT: SP

Edited by Wing Across The Pond

Its one thing to repeat a rumor you may have heard somewhere from time to time, but Eklund just straight up makes s*** up off the top of his head daily and creates his own rumors and then tries to spread them.

I think its safe to say he is one of the least credible "sources" in all of pro sports and without a doubt the least credible in the NHL.

This guy, with his insider knowledge from working with 4 NHL organisations, is actually KING of confirming deals a few minutes after everyone else has. Not to mention he has it on good authority that possibly 25 out of 30 teams are in the running for any one player at any one time. True story.

Seriously though, he's like "MIN in talks with X. Also PIT, DET, NYR, NYI, DAL, TBL, TOR, ANA, LAK. Hasn't ruled out NSH, COL, CBJ, CAR, FLA, or NJD... VAN, OTT, SJS also a possibility". He knows nothing. I didn't see any 'insider information' that actually lead to a trade/deal. He even managed to announce a signing about an hour before the player signed elsewhere. Granted TSN did that as well but they just broadcast the news, they don't claim divine right on it.

EDIT: SP

Hockeyinsiderr is the most Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of all the sources, at times he does exactly what you say and he breaks a story before anyone else, than other times hes way off in left field and is Eklundesque.

Ones I watch out for that haven't been listed:

@NHLTheInsider

@Russostrib (hes a writer for Pittsburgh Trib and is famous for over blowing everything Pens, and under valuing anything about other teams)

@HChockeytalk

@NHL_Trade

Hockeyinsiderr is the most Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of all the sources, at times he does exactly what you say and he breaks a story before anyone else, than other times hes way off in left field and is Eklundesque.

Ones I watch out for that haven't been listed:

@NHLTheInsider

@Russostrib (hes a writer for Pittsburgh Trib and is famous for over blowing everything Pens, and under valuing anything about other teams)

@HChockeytalk

@NHL_Trade

Michael Russo is actually the beat writer for the Minnesota Wild, and he is one of the best beat writers there are out there. You are thinking of Rob Rossi, or @RobRossi_Trib. He is the nutjob Penguins writer. But he does have legitamate sources and breaks trades and rumors a lot, even if he is quite biased. I'm going to update the OP now.

Michael Russo is actually the beat writer for the Minnesota Wild, and he is one of the best beat writers there are out there. You are thinking of Rob Rossi, or @RobRossi_Trib. He is the nutjob Penguins writer. But he does have legitamate sources and breaks trades and rumors a lot, even if he is quite biased. I'm going to update the OP now.

Thanks, I got Rossi and Russo confused, Rob Rossi is a joke to even the Pens fans on HF boards, that should tell you how well he's respected.

Can someone post some good sources to follow that actually break news and not re-report it? Here are the hockey folks I follow, although some are re-posters:

@wingsfrontman

@georgemalik

@ansarkhanmlive

@freepwings

@redwingsmlive

@wyshynski

@tsnbobmckenzie

@darrendreger

Think it's worth mentioning that "Hockeyy Insiderr" dropped the ball in a big way. He's even getting pissy and threatening to block people on Twitter, and going so far as to speculate that Shero is "VERY mad"... which Dreger responded to and immediately denied (after speaking with Shero himself).

I was looking for the other "for those on twitter" thread for this but couldnt find it. any who, this @HockeyyInsiderr has dug out another deal about 16hours before everyone else. Im not saying everything this guy says is the truth, but its not fair to completely ignore him.

https://twitter.com/HockeyyInsiderr

I cant figure out how to make it pretty, but just scroll down to 15 hours ago or however far it is to see it. this was yesterday at like 8pm, nobody else broke it til this morning.

A question I would have I guess is do teams as reporters not to break signings until they say so? and all other reporters except this guy play along or what?

Yeah! Thank you for clearing that up - I don't want anyone muddying Mike Russo's name. As a Wings fan (and Detroit transplant) in Minnesota, I'm a huge fan of Russo's work. I think a lot of LGW'ers also took note of his reporting and started following him during the Parise/Suter saga.

There were a lot of people exposed during this year's free agent period (including Eklund), but Nick Kypreos is the one that irks me the most. He reported that Suter thing like he actually knew something. What a joke.

I was looking for the other "for those on twitter" thread for this but couldnt find it. any who, this @HockeyyInsiderr has dug out another deal about 16hours before everyone else. Im not saying everything this guy says is the truth, but its not fair to completely ignore him.

https://twitter.com/HockeyyInsiderr

I cant figure out how to make it pretty, but just scroll down to 15 hours ago or however far it is to see it. this was yesterday at like 8pm, nobody else broke it til this morning.

A question I would have I guess is do teams as reporters not to break signings until they say so? and all other reporters except this guy play along or what?

Are you talking about him "breaking" the Jeff Skinner signing? Um...no. The Canes GM tweeted that "it looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied ip for a number of years" 10 minutes before HockeyyInsiderr "broke" the news. Oh, and the guy who does the Canes' pre-show tweeted about it 1 minute after Rutherford & their play-by-play guy did 5 minutes after. He makes most of his s*** up & his "sources" on things that actually happen appear to be twitter feeds.

EDIT: If you want to see the actual timeline, go to Aaron Ward's twitter feed (@aaronward_nhl) and take a look at the pic he tweeted not long after HockeyyInsiderr "broke" the signing.

Edited by ogreslayer

Are you talking about him "breaking" the Jeff Skinner signing? Um...no. The Canes GM tweeted that "it looks like we are going to be able to get Jeff Skinner tied ip for a number of years" 10 minutes before HockeyyInsiderr "broke" the news. Oh, and the guy who does the Canes' pre-show tweeted about it 1 minute after Rutherford & their play-by-play guy did 5 minutes after. He makes most of his s*** up & his "sources" on things that actually happen appear to be twitter feeds.

EDIT: If you want to see the actual timeline, go to Aaron Ward's twitter feed (@aaronward_nhl) and take a look at the pic he tweeted not long after HockeyyInsiderr "broke" the signing.

lol, i didnt see that post but its pretty funny. aaron ward is always ripping on that guy. disregard my comment i supppose.

Between the Suter/Parise fiasco, and now the Skinner #CONFIRMED tweet 7 minutes after the Canes GM himself tweeted that they were going to lock him up for a number of years, I think it's safe to say that @HockeyyInsiderr is less than reputable...If you're going to follow him/her/them, I'd recommend doing it for entertainment purposes only.

If you want an idea that has merit, how about a "HockeyyInsiderr" accuracy rating. Track his predictions, and the actual outcomes, and see how well he does. THAT could be fun.

Wow...

I honestly can't believe that there are still people out there that think this hockeyinsiderrrrrp clown has even a tiny bit of credibility. As has been repeated over and over on this an other boards..if you throw thousands of pieces of sh*t at a wall, eventually one will stick.

After reading rumor after rumor that people posted from Hockeyinsiderr, I now think that he is so bad and full of sh*t, that he makes Ecklund look like a respected Pulitzer winning jourrnalist.... and THAT is pretty bad.

Edited by sleepwalker

All those posts are accurate because alot of people were saying the same things. The Wings WERE going to offer Suter what ever he wanted but he turned it down to play with his boyfriend in Minnesota, as for Zach leaning towards the Pens...that was the most logical decission on that issue at that time.

Guest Crymson

All those posts are accurate because alot of people were saying the same things. The Wings WERE going to offer Suter what ever he wanted but he turned it down to play with his boyfriend in Minnesota, as for Zach leaning towards the Pens...that was the most logical decission on that issue at that time.

There's a difference between stating one's opinion and presenting one's opinion as fact with statistics and confirmations.

Somewhat interesting twitter fight going on between HockeyyInsiderr and some guy named BookieBreaker. Apparently BookieBreaker DM'ed HI with a rumor that Gretzky had a heart attack and was in the hospital, then HI went on to tweet about it.

Apparently BB did it just to expose HI by going just on random info sent to him and nothing concrete.

Stupid I know, but this just adds to HI's growing (or should I say shrinking credibility).

Kinda funny to see people giving Paulina s*** saying "She finally gave her dad a heart attack" lol.

https://twitter.com/B00kiebreaker2