• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtydangles

Changing our Image

Rate this topic

The wings have been beaten out in for top players in Free Agency by the wild. Never thought I would say those words. The general thought by every non-wings fan is that we have an aging core and few players want to come to Detroit and get stuck here after Z and Dats decline. I see this being a continuing issue as they are only getting older over time.

My proposed solution is that we need to trade some of our aging assets now why they still have value for younger promising players to bring back some youth to this team to draw UFAs here long term. I don't see why Weber's decision would be any different next season (the Pens will be in on him as well as the Flyers which are both younger teams).

I think by signing some players in their prime (Semin, Mueller) and trading some older players (Franzen) along with pieces of value (Filppula) we can get some young talent back on the Wings.

What do you think our image has become and how/would you change it? Would you wait it out and see how our prospects develop? Or make changes now? Would you consider a huge shakeup?

I use to be against this 110% but now after losing Suter and Parise I think it is something that should be looked at in the very least. Though we MUST trade for Nash or Ryan and Sign Carle. I think Suter and Parise wanted to play close to home.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan

I think our Image will remain the same, a generally hard working squad who competes to win. Until we start losing I don't see what would change, this was a unique situation for Parise & Suter and the fact Parise choose to go home and help his hometown team win with a friend does not dictate that the Red Wings are any less of an organization imo. We'll see how Kenny & Co. close out here in the next few weeks.

okay look past the peter mueller and see semin. what should we do?

there's not much to do , i dont see columbus trading nash to us .... only options available to us via trade might be yandle or ryan(who i think will be going to the flyers)

i think we might have to just suck it up this year give the kids some ice time and hopefully nail few of weber,perry,getzlaf next ufa

there really isnt any great options out there , shane doan would be great here but he wont come

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

there's not much to do , i dont see columbus trading nash to us .... only options available to us via trade might be yandle or ryan(who i think will be going to the flyers)

i think we might have to just suck it up this year give the kids some ice time and hopefully nail few of weber,perry,getzlaf

there really isnt any great options out there , shane doan would be great here but he wont come

Thats kinda what we were saying at the beginning of last year... hopefully the UFAs show up. We need to give them more reason to i think.

I think it's time to start fast tracking these prospects. A youth movement might be a good thing. Unfortunately, it seems, the only way to build your franchise back up is either albatross contracts, or drafting.

I think it's time to start fast tracking these prospects. A youth movement might be a good thing. Unfortunately, it seems, the only way to build your franchise back up is either albatross contracts, or drafting.

Following that sad but true logic, we won't see Z or Dats lift another cup until we tank and draft some high end talent.

Flip has one year left on his contract and is likely to re-sign (at a good number) with Detroit. Therefore, Flip has more worth to the Wings than he does to any other team.

Flip is at best a second line center by trading him and getting a 1st line caliber winger it would be a win for us.

Flip is at best a second line center by trading him and getting a 1st line caliber winger it would be a win for us.

Who is the second line center is Z/Dats are injured? Helm cannot play that position. Further, Flip is younger than Dats/Z and can help make the transition when Dats/Z retire/age.

We need a three team trade involving Columbus and Phoenix along with Detroit.

do we end up getting nash and yandle for next to nothing? :P i kid i kid...

Who is the second line center is Z/Dats are injured? Helm cannot play that position. Further, Flip is younger than Dats/Z and can help make the transition when Dats/Z retire/age.

so we keep a "backup 2nd line centre" when we have nothing on d? who is gonna play d when kronner gets injured?

Guest DeGraa55

I wouldn't mind seeing Franzen Z or Dats moved for younger talent. But honestly in the cap. era why would a team want one of the aging declining expensive vets for young up and coming star potential talent. As much as we love those guys getting a young up and coming star for them won't happen.

I think the best bet is to realize we're stuck with them maybe we can dump Franzen. Adding a Semin and/or Doan will help but we def. need more grit on this team. Next off-season Weber should be our number 1 target. I just don't see us adding a true number 1 defensemen before then.

I do love the TooToo signing I hope him helm and Abby play together that's our next grind line and a pretty darn good #4 line if you ask me. Add like Semin and Doan and we're set for forwards. We need a time defensmen very very badly though...too bad nick can't come back for 1 more year :(

Wolski is a UFA. We'd be adding another forward. But a young one, he was scary at one point, there is top 6 potential there, unlike, say, Cleary or Bert. If we move some fowards in trades. this guy would be a great pickup imo

do we end up getting nash and yandle for next to nothing? :P i kid i kid...

so we keep a "backup 2nd line centre" when we have nothing on d? who is gonna play d when kronner gets injured?

Flip is a long-term solution as a second line center. Look at Chicago's season this year for how important center depth is in the NHL.

If Mule+Jurco/Pulk+Kindl/Cleary/Quincy+2 1st's+McDonald isn't enough, then IMO the price it too high.

The Wings aren't looking great for next season, but I would rather hold assests likely to help in the next 5+ years than gamble for success next season.

OT- Is the spell-check not working for anyone else? I'm using Firefox with spell check on.

Flip is a long-term solution as a second line center. Look at Chicago's season this year for how important center depth is in the NHL.

If Mule+Jurco/Pulk+Kindl/Cleary/Quincy+2 1st's+McDonald isn't enough, then IMO the price it too high.

The Wings aren't looking great for next season, but I would rather hold assests likely to help in the next 5+ years than gamble for success next season.

OT- Is the spell-check not working for anyone else? I'm using Firefox with spell check on.

Fil is only 3 years younger than Z. he's not a huge long term solution. he's a stop gap after datsyuk retires...

Fil is only 3 years younger than Z. he's not a huge long term solution. he's a stop gap after datsyuk retires...

3 years younger and less-injury prone thus far. IMO signing Semin for 1-3 years at 5m, and trading for Yandle, Enstrom, or J. Bow is the best step for the Wings. Mule+ top prospect+Kindl/Quincey+2 1sts should be enough for one of them.

3 years younger and less-injury prone thus far. IMO signing Semin for 1-3 years at 5m, and trading for Yandle, Enstrom, or J. Bow is the best step for the Wings. Mule+ top prospect+Kindl/Quincey+2 1sts should be enough for one of them.

I'd trade that for only Yandle or Enstrom. Not JBow.

I'd trade that for only Yandle or Enstrom. Not JBow.

JBow should be cheaper, which would be nice, but he is not preferable. It would depend on the difference in price between them, but JBow is a capable top-4 defender.

IMO if the Wings make a trade, it should be for a defender. Lids and Stuart left a big hole, while the offense hasn't changed as much and was good enough last season. Further, IMO Semin would be an upgrade over Franzen, if he is signed to a short contract.

I wonder if Exelby or Janik will be signed as a 7th D next season.