Photo
- - - - -

Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet: 14y/$110m ($56m 1st 4yrs)

shea weber nashville predators philadelphia flyers offer sheet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
475 replies to this topic

#421 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I know it's not a courtroom, I'm just saying, if links aren't worth anything then fine, then links are useless on a message board. If this Preds fan says that his GM has the money then back that statement up, don't just give lip service. If he wants to discredit links then that's fine, he better be able to prove what he's telling all of us in one form or another.

#422 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

I agree, none of those links prove how much money the Preds owner has. And there is no "burden of proof", this is a messageboard not a court room. Chill out dood.

esteef

Thank you

#423 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Next time we meet Nashville or Philly, wherever Weber ends up, old teammates meet ... Tootoo takes him on to earn his stripes for the Wings? :clap:

They respect each other too much to drop the gloves but I'd pay top dollar to see that. Weber would come out on top but Tootoo would make sure he knew he was in a fight.
Tootoo will earn his stripes there in Detroit. No question.

#424 predmonkee

predmonkee

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I know it's not a courtroom, I'm just saying, if links aren't worth anything then fine, then links are useless on a message board. If this Preds fan says that his GM has the money then back that statement up, don't just give lip service. If he wants to discredit links then that's fine, he better be able to prove what he's telling all of us in one form or another.

For *ish and giggles, what "proof" would ya like me to provide. Each of the owners bank account records? Tax receipts? Returns? How about secret recordings from the hidden mic's I planted in their offices? I'll get right on that...just for you big guy.

Or you can respect my take on the situation. You don't have to believe it, makes no difference to me. But I've been on top of this from the jump, you can read what I posted last week before he signed the offer. I said that , due to the expiring CBA, weber would gaurentee himself a monster payday very soon. And he did. I also said that Philly would be a player in this. And now Im saying that the preds will match and keep him in Nashville. The point of the board is to offer intelligent insight and opinions, which is all I'm doing. I don't need links to back up anything I've said. If you don't agree with my side of this, that's fine, I honestly don't care. But if you feel the need to prove your point with links, thats your prerogative. I just ask you show me something that I, or any other person that follows hockey for that matter, hasnt seen before. Wow me with something.

#425 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

For *ish and giggles, what "proof" would ya like me to provide. Each of the owners bank account records? Tax receipts? Returns? How about secret recordings from the hidden mic's I planted in their offices? I'll get right on that...just for you big guy.

Or you can respect my take on the situation. You don't have to believe it, makes no difference to me. But I've been on top of this from the jump, you can read what I posted last week before he signed the offer. I said that , due to the expiring CBA, weber would gaurentee himself a monster payday very soon. And he did. I also said that Philly would be a player in this. And now Im saying that the preds will match and keep him in Nashville. The point of the board is to offer intelligent insight and opinions, which is all I'm doing. I don't need links to back up anything I've said. If you don't agree with my side of this, that's fine, I honestly don't care. But if you feel the need to prove your point with links, thats your prerogative. I just ask you show me something that I, or any other person that follows hockey for that matter, hasnt seen before. Wow me with something.

I have shown you a few great links that you haven't seen, yet you and your pompous attitude don't like it. I'm not calling into question what you just said in the above statement...what I am calling into question is Nashvilles ability to match an offer sheet. We all know the 2005 CBA expires on Sep15th and we all know this is a great chance for a UFA or RFA to cash in on. It comes down to money for a small market team that has been losing money for years and a small market team that has trouble keeping good quality players. Nashville will never be like us original 6 teams that are the back bone of the NHL.

I don't think Holmgren is all that smart vs my GM Peter Chiarelli. Last summer Holgren shipped Flyers captain Mike Richards and Jeff Carter away from Philadelphia...inked a huge contract for a unproven Bryzgalov... Holmgren shipped James van Riemsdyk to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Where as my GM, along with the Wings GM and your GM, we bring our players up through the franchises system and cultivate them. As for Holmgren he's going to fire up his fan base with a huge splash and sign high end talent with will lead to a turn over rate season after season after season.

#426 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Honestly, If I was Poile and had the finances availabe. I would match it then trade him for better assets than 4 very late first round picks.

Edited by darkmanx, 21 July 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#427 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

4 more days...
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#428 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Just fond this...Wilson is a well-known Canadian businessman and philanthropist based in Calgary, AB. He is currently Chairman of Canoe Financial, an investment management firm with over $2.0 Billion in assets. Nashville might have the money to keep Weber. I wonder why nobody is talking about this??!! This is HUGE!!!
https://twitter.com/...866348058947584

#429 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Honestly, If I was Poile and had the finances availabe. I would match it then trade him for better assets than 4 very late first round picks.

If Nashville matches, they can't trade him for one year, per the CBA.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#430 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Ahhhh fish sticks!!! Sounds like they just found the mOney to keep the kiosk open for Weber grills.

Edited by Salviaman, 21 July 2012 - 04:53 PM.

Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#431 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

This changes it now because Nashville can and will become a cap team.

#432 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

If Nashville matches, they can't trade him for one year, per the CBA.

And on top of that, if they match, they owe him 27 million in the first 366 days of the contract. If they traded him that would be an expensive year of Weber.

I think if they match he's a Pred for the rest of his career.

Edited by FlashyG, 21 July 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#433 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I thought Wilson was too busy with his television career?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#434 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

My question is does a 5% owner want to be the financier to the biggest contract in franchise history without a more significant stake in the team.

#435 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

After thinking about things after my last post I think there's more than meets the eye going on... just think what the possibilities are if he finances the Preds to a Stanley Cup. That 5% just got more valuable... plus, I think he may be waiting in the wings to buy the Preds outright if the current ownership collapses.

#436 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just fond this...Wilson is a well-known Canadian businessman and philanthropist based in Calgary, AB. He is currently Chairman of Canoe Financial, an investment management firm with over $2.0 Billion in assets. Nashville might have the money to keep Weber. I wonder why nobody is talking about this??!! This is HUGE!!!
https://twitter.com/...866348058947584

You know that's from last November, right?

He has since increased his share to 12% (according to Wikipedia at least).

They have always had the money to match, they had the money to keep both Weber and Suter. Paying them is more about the business model than actual cash flow. At the trade deadline last season, talk was that the ownership group basically gave the green light to spend like a contender. I'll believe that when I see it, but since they currently have only around $37 million in salary commitments for next year I don't think $14 million next year for Weber was ever going to be a problem. Nor all the signing bonus stuff.

I think the only real considerations are "poison pill" clauses and whether they feel they'd be better off rebuilding rather than making such a long-term, expensive commitment.

#437 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

You know that's from last November, right?

He has since increased his share to 12% (according to Wikipedia at least).

They have always had the money to match, they had the money to keep both Weber and Suter. Paying them is more about the business model than actual cash flow. At the trade deadline last season, talk was that the ownership group basically gave the green light to spend like a contender. I'll believe that when I see it, but since they currently have only around $37 million in salary commitments for next year I don't think $14 million next year for Weber was ever going to be a problem. Nor all the signing bonus stuff.

I think the only real considerations are "poison pill" clauses and whether they feel they'd be better off rebuilding rather than making such a long-term, expensive commitment.

The "poision pill" in this is that the CBA states that a player’s salary in any single season may not be more than 20% of the Upper Limit as set in the year in which the player signed his contract. $14MM in season one and another $13MM on 7/1/2013 goes against the CBA 20% uppper limit.

This is the sticking point in the deal. I understand that Nashville CAN match it, howerver with the cap ceiling be $70M x 20% = $14M. Maybe I'm missing something here...

#438 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

The "poision pill" in this is that the CBA states that a player’s salary in any single season may not be more than 20% of the Upper Limit as set in the year in which the player signed his contract. $14MM in season one and another $13MM on 7/1/2013 goes against the CBA 20% uppper limit.

This is the sticking point in the deal. I understand that Nashville CAN match it, howerver with the cap ceiling be $70M x 20% = $14M. Maybe I'm missing something here...

7/1/13 would be a different season, so it is compliant. All the up-front money is an issue, since it takes away cash they might spend on other improvements, in addition to the prospect of continuing to lose money for a few more years.

I think if the offer was coming from a team like Toronto or Buffalo, they'd let him walk and rebuild. But this offer I believe they'll match, then wait to see what the new CBA brings and what kind of revenue they get next season, and maybe trade him later.

#439 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hartnell, Giroux, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read(surprised to see that he will be a UFA) and Meszeros are all due for raises in the next 2 years and they will probably need to dump some salary to be under the cap this year

#440 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Wow you guys are bringing up some interesting points. The more I think about it, the more the Flyers GM seems diabolical. It would be a giant waste to sign the guy for a year or two and pay his massively front-loaded contract, then have him ask for a trade to a team that will pay him less but take the same cap hit.

I guess Nashville should match the offer if they feel the guy is truly committed to being a Predator. Doesn't sound like it if he has reservations to "rebuilding."

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.