• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I didn't say that. Cleary sucks a$$. That being said, why can't Nyquist beat him out? Or eaves or Emmerton, or...... that is the point. Read what is written and stop ass-u-me-ing. I don't think Nyquist will ever be better than a 40 point guy in the NHL. That is my opinion. But I have also said several times, the only way to find out is for him to play in the NHL. Play him. Then he makes it or breaks it.

I think the idea isn't that Nyquist couldn't beat out those guys, rather that he is waiver exempt. Eaves or Cleary would have to be waived.

Having Nyquist as the swing man who can come up or be sent down as the team needs on a game-by-game basis is ultimately what this is all about. It gives the team depth. Or, at least it's supposed to.

Plus you have to consider roles. For example , Nyquist > Andersson and will be a more important player in the long run, but Andersson fits a niche right now, adding size to line 3.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#22 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I didn't say that. Cleary sucks a$$. That being said, why can't Nyquist beat him out? Or eaves or Emmerton, or...... that is the point. Read what is written and stop ass-u-me-ing. I don't think Nyquist will ever be better than a 40 point guy in the NHL. That is my opinion. But I have also said several times, the only way to find out is for him to play in the NHL. Play him. Then he makes it or breaks it.

Wow really? What do you base that opinion on?

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#23 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Can you calm down with the blasphemy and profanity? It doesn't make you sound cool.

It's an internet forum not the CNN debate room

bringit.jpg

#24 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

He's a rookie who can be sent down without losing him. If we had to waive him to send him down, you can be sure it would be someone else on the way out.

Remember Datsyuk only scored 35 points as a rookie. Hank only 44. Franzen 16. Flip scored 23 points in his first 105 NHL games. Even if you assume Nyquist is a star in the making it's still unlikely that he'd be so good as a rookie that it would be worth losing another player over. We don't have Brett Hull to play with him on the 4th line, and we already have one rookie in the top 6. He's not a center nor a physical player. We're not going to waste development time by keeping him up to sit in the pressbox. Probably not a good idea to put him in a spot where we're depending on him on the PK.

It's just not an optimal situation for him right now. If we'd had a training camp and pre-season, maybe he would have won a spot. If we were a better team that could better afford to carry him if he didn't work, or a worse team not worried about the consequences, he might have a spot. In short, the main reason he's being sent down is because he can be.

#25 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Really hope we work s*** out for tomorrow's game. I don't want to hear it from my coworkers all week how the Wild are for real.

#26 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Really hope we work s*** out for tomorrow's game. I don't want to hear it from my coworkers all week how the Wild are for real.

LOL!

#27 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

So now Babs has Fil with Hank and Brunner, leaving literally NO ONE for Pavs to play with... WTF!!! I don't like how Babs basically called Fil out today for needing to be better, meanwhile Cleary has been MUCH worse than him but continues to get way too much ice time. How about you call out Cleary before Fil Babs. and sticking Cleary and Sammy on a line with Pavs is just retarded that will get nothing done. Pavs needs someone to work with, whether it be Fil, Brunner or Hank.

#28 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

So now Babs has Fil with Hank and Brunner, leaving literally NO ONE for Pavs to play with... WTF!!! I don't like how Babs basically called Fil out today for needing to be better, meanwhile Cleary has been MUCH worse than him but continues to get way too much ice time. How about you call out Cleary before Fil Babs. and sticking Cleary and Sammy on a line with Pavs is just retarded that will get nothing done. Pavs needs someone to work with, whether it be Fil, Brunner or Hank.

I think Fil with Z is only if Pav can't play. Anyway I wouldn't mind changing things up in the top 6 to get Fil going. Pav could play with Tatar and Sammy, or Brunner and Tatar/Sammy.

#29 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

I think Tatertots should be rewarded for his hard work and awesome play since he has been up. If Pavs is playing, I would play him with Dats and Sammy, leaving Z, brunner and Flip together

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

He's a rookie who can be sent down without losing him. If we had to waive him to send him down, you can be sure it would be someone else on the way out.

Remember Datsyuk only scored 35 points as a rookie. Hank only 44. Franzen 16. Flip scored 23 points in his first 105 NHL games. Even if you assume Nyquist is a star in the making it's still unlikely that he'd be so good as a rookie that it would be worth losing another player over. We don't have Brett Hull to play with him on the 4th line, and we already have one rookie in the top 6. He's not a center nor a physical player. We're not going to waste development time by keeping him up to sit in the pressbox. Probably not a good idea to put him in a spot where we're depending on him on the PK.

It's just not an optimal situation for him right now. If we'd had a training camp and pre-season, maybe he would have won a spot. If we were a better team that could better afford to carry him if he didn't work, or a worse team not worried about the consequences, he might have a spot. In short, the main reason he's being sent down is because he can be.

I understand waht you are saying. But at the same time, isn't the goal to win games? If so, then shouldn't you play your best players? If the goal is to win, then how is Nyquist not in the lineup? Well it can only really be 1 of 2 things. I would think we are trying to win. That only leaves 1

#31 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Could it be, and i realize this is crazy, but maybe Nyquist isn't as good as some here think? After all he seems to have been passed by tatar. Let's face some possibilities here. Nyquist has been up a couple of different times. he hasn't been able to stay and beat out any one of several over the road has beens/never were's.

There's no doubt that Nyquist has some really high-end skills, its whether he can translate them to the NHL that is the issue for me.  Whenever I've seen him play, his skill has been clear, but so has his lack of impact on the game, although he did show some flashes last time out with Tatar and Andersson.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#32 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Why isnt Cleary put on waivers? Nobody is even gonna sniff him.

#33 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't see Babcock benching Cleary anytime soon because even with his underwhelming play so far, he still has two things going for him: 1) The Wings don't have anybody who plays Cleary's type of game as effective as he does (at least historically; who knows whether anyone will fill that role this year), and 2) Even with Cleary not getting anything productive done, he's still working hard and sacrificing the body to try to make plays and battling every shift he has, and Babs values hard workers very much.
On Nyqvist: I was curious why Tatar and Andersson were brought up ahead of him this year, especially considering how well he seemed to fit into the NHL when he was previously brought up (not to mention his AHL play). I heard something about Holland wanting his other prospects to feel like they're still valued, but that's kind of a weak reason on its own. Anyway, I wonder if Holland and co intentionally created an atmosphere in the minor leagues for Nyqvist without Tatar and Andersson to observe whether Nyqvist is capable of leading a team on his own. Perhaps the Wings's organization is starting to look for leadership for after Zetterberg and Dats are gone. If you believe this article that was posted on these boards once (http://network.yardb...rs_ago/11046893) then you know that the Wings look for leadership qualities at an early time in a player's professional career. Anyway, its all a great deal of speculation on my part, but its something to think about.