• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Crazy

Trade Kronwall?

Rate this topic

Yes, you have a point in that to get something you will need to give up something too. The problem I have with trading Kronwall is that he is not likely to fetch a player to be considered an upgrade in return. What we seek is a "legitimate" no 1 defenseman. For obvious reasons we are not going to get a Weber or Doughty in return from a team looking to go deep in the playoffs. I also do not believe that the best solution is to initiate a complete rebuild, that would basically mean trading for picks and prospects ready to make an impact years from now. This team isonly missing a few key pieces IMO. I, as many others, have argued that the Red Wings most tradeable assets are Filppula and Franzen. Unfortunately, the pending FA status of Filppula will impact the return for him, but if there is a possibility to trade him in a package deal I see this as the most viable option for Holland to improve this team. Mainly because I think Filppula could benefit from a change of scenery and because his pass first mentality is similar to others on the team. What I hope to get in return is a speedy forward with goal scoring touch and preferably some size.

I was thinking the same about Fil. Because he is a ufa and his deadline worth might be a bit less because of that , then does it make more sense to deal Franzen and a prospect or a pick for a sniper? I can't remember if Mule has a ntc?

I was thinking the same about Fil. Because he is a ufa and his deadline worth might be a bit less because of that , then does it make more sense to deal Franzen and a prospect or a pick for a sniper? I can't remember if Mule has a ntc?

He doesn't, but he's on the opposite end of the contract problem spectrum. The length of his deal would likely mean not getting full value in return.

Guest DeGraa55

He doesn't, but he's on the opposite end of the contract problem spectrum. The length of his deal would likely mean not getting full value in return.

Or any value. For those of you obsessed with franzen what do you guys think his value really is?

Many of you who.love franzen and hate say o Reilly. Franzen isn't even close to enough to get him or anyone else worth getting.

Shouldn't that show you just how much value he DOESNT have.

Now is the time to keep Kronwall....the time to trade him was at the 2009 draft. Way back then I was suggesting trading Kronwall, Franzine and the rights to Hudler (who was an upcoming RFA) to Tampa for the #2 pick and draft Hedman to be groomed by Lidstrom... would have been a dandy of a deal! He would be our #1 defenseman right now and we wouldn't be looking around at what to do about a top pairing...We would've had Hossa still along with Hedman...and we would STILL have them both and then there would be no lazy Franzine talk either!

Ahhh, but hindsight is always a kick in the pants, eh?

I would have missed Kronwall, but he was tradable then, now he needs to stay. Funny though, I am still waiting for the first Kronwalled of the season...why do you think he hasn't been hitting like he used to?

Guest DeGraa55

Now is the time to keep Kronwall....the time to trade him was at the 2009 draft. Way back then I was suggesting trading Kronwall, Franzine and the rights to Hudler (who was an upcoming RFA) to Tampa for the #2 pick and draft Hedman to be groomed by Lidstrom... would have been a dandy of a deal! He would be our #1 defenseman right now and we wouldn't be looking around at what to do about a top pairing...We would've had Hossa still along with Hedman...and we would STILL have them both and then there would be no lazy Franzine talk either!

Ahhh, but hindsight is always a kick in the pants, eh?

I would have missed Kronwall, but he was tradable then, now he needs to stay. Funny though, I am still waiting for the first Kronwalled of the season...why do you think he hasn't been hitting like he used to?

Cause he is trying to be a number one and not getting caught out of position. I also think he is more focused on staying healthy and paying more attention defensively. As much as I miss his big hits. I think its actually helping the team and him for him to jot do it.

We don't need to trade Kronwall, we need to get him a D partner that is the equivalent of 2008 Brad Stuart. Ericsson is awesome, but that pairing has been the s***s lately.

The Wings are apparently scouting Smid. Not sure he is top 2 material though. I do think he might be a good shut down guy but his offense numbers are awful.

The Wings are apparently scouting Smid. Not sure he is top 2 material though. I do think he might be a good shut down guy but his offense numbers are awful.

Oilers D is terrible. Smid is a good Dman, but he's definitely not top 2. He'd be more or less Quincey with less trying to take slapshots in the slot on bouncing pucks when up 1-0. :lol: That is to say i'd take him over Q.

To get right to the point I don't think we should trade Kronwall at this point. I actually think the idea is kinda ridiculous, no offense intended. I think he'll find his groove defensively. I'd prefer he just wasnt our top guy because I don't think that's where he excels, but he's still a valuable asset. Offensive numbers pretty darn good too. Not that I know everything about hockey, so don't yell at me too much please :D

I hate being dramatic but this thread really is nonsense. Step back and look at our defense without Kronwall...if that isnt the worst defense in the NHL, its right up there. I mean for real, we wouldnt have a top 2 guy at all. It would be shameful to call any defenseman on our roster more than a #3 guy. You dont trade a top 15 defenseman unless you have another one or your rebuilding/he's gonna be a free agent.

I hate being dramatic but this thread really is nonsense. Step back and look at our defense without Kronwall...if that isnt the worst defense in the NHL, its right up there. I mean for real, we wouldnt have a top 2 guy at all. It would be shameful to call any defenseman on our roster more than a #3 guy. You dont trade a top 15 defenseman unless you have another one or your rebuilding/he's gonna be a free agent.

What you said.

Smith was supposed to be a potential #2 but he's been only decent this year when not injured. 1 point in 18 games wouldn't be so bad if he was shutting guys down hard and throwing big hits, but he's gotta pick it up a bit and take some of that heat off of Kronwall.

Oilers D is terrible. Smid is a good Dman, but he's definitely not top 2. He'd be more or less Quincey with less trying to take slapshots in the slot on bouncing pucks when up 1-0. :lol: That is to say i'd take him over Q.

Well, there goes out 1st round pick this year then!

Smith was supposed to be a potential #2 but he's been only decent this year when not injured. 1 point in 18 games wouldn't be so bad if he was shutting guys down hard and throwing big hits, but he's gotta pick it up a bit and take some of that heat off of Kronwall.

Smith has the upside of Kronwall, maybe a little better. Kronwall is a #2 guy on a Cup team. That said Smith was not, or should not have been, expected to be a #2 guy this year and probably not even next year.

Smith has the upside of Kronwall, maybe a little better. Kronwall is a #2 guy on a Cup team. That said Smith was not, or should not have been, expected to be a #2 guy this year and probably not even next year.

Agreed. I think both Kronwall and Smith need hard hitting, solid, stay at home d partners to get the most from their games. Like Stuart was for Kronner. Maybe Smid would be a good pick up for a partner for Smith? Dump Colo and Q.