Photo
- - - - -

Semin re-signs with Carolina: 5 years, $35 million ($7M/yr)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Yes. And with the canes giving semin that term and money it appears they are gonna place jussi jokinen on waiver. Anybody interested?

Good call :P

http://www.letsgowin...s/#entry2374299

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yes. And with the canes giving semin that term and money it appears they are gonna place jussi jokinen on waiver. Anybody interested?

Really good call indeed.

Good for Semin thought he would have signed this contract last summer but he had to prove it.

If he can keep it up it's a good signing. If and only if as mentioned already in this thread.

#23 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

It's never going to stop bothering me that owners spent the entire lockout whining about contract length and overpayment and then continue to sign everybody for as long as they can and as much as they can afford.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#24 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Who needs his 30 points in 30 games. Bah humbug. 

WE HAVE FRANZEN!!!!!

Who is also comes with a $3 million per year lower cap hit.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#25 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Semin in his last 3 games, 0pts -5 rating.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Who is also comes with a $3 million per year lower cap hit.

Rather have a guy like Franzen for $4m per instead instead of Semin, who btw. is a great talent when HE decides to be one at $7m.  It is really funny, all those stupid teams who bitched about the Wings being big-spenders in the pre-CBA area are now giving out stupid contracts left and right, god I hate the new NHL.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#27 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

O-ver Ra-ted clap clap clapclapclap.

So glad we opted out of attempting to get Semin, no way i'd be happy signing this slug to 7 mil per season for the production he puts out.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#28 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Eventhough Carolina has been struggling big time lately, these stats should be unacceptable.

Since signing a five-year extension, Alex Semin has two goals and a minus-9 rating in 11 games. Uh-oh

^ from some guys twitter.

#29 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Eventhough Carolina has been struggling big time lately, these stats should be unacceptable.

^ from some guys twitter.

Eek! He dropped off faster than Franzen not having fun. :P

Seriously though, surprising, and yet, not very. Things were really rolling for him prior to signing for buku bucks. Nothing kills work ethic like job security.

#30 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Never miss a chance to perpetuate a rumor eh boys?  Pretty sure the reason his numbers are down since then have nothing to do with him getting a new contract.  Have a look at this...

http://espn.go.com/n...lina-hurricanes

Carolina has won two of their last sixteen games, and during that time have been outscored 62-26.  They're in the middle of a MASSIVE losing streak which, I hate to tell you, can't really be blamed on their (point per game) top line winger. 

Edit:  Four times during this losing streak he was recognized as the teams top performer, and has compiled 3 goals and 8 assists in those sixteen games.  Pretty sure it's not his fault. 

Edited by kipwinger, 16 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Never miss a chance to perpetuate a rumor eh boys?  Pretty sure the reason his numbers are down since then have nothing to do with him getting a new contract.  Have a look at this...

http://espn.go.com/n...lina-hurricanes

Carolina has won two of their last sixteen games, and during that time have been outscored 62-26.  They're in the middle of a MASSIVE losing streak which, I hate to tell you, can't really be blamed on their (point per game) top line winger. 

Edit:  Four times during this losing streak he was recognized as the teams top performer, and has compiled 3 goals and 8 assists in those sixteen games.  Pretty sure it's not his fault. 

We sure could've used those 38 points of his this year, but just think of all the money we saved!

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

We sure could've used those 38 points of his this year, but just think of all the money we saved!

esteef

And speaking of things we probably could have used but were too cheap to look into.  This is from last night's CBJ game...

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#33 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

esteef

With Dan Cleary, Datsyuk can become the player we all like to see. Semin would slow him down.

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

With Dan Cleary, Datsyuk can become the player we all like to see. Semin would slow him down.

That's actually sort of true.  With Semin, Datsyuk would have a competent winger and not be required to attempt otherworldly moves in order to get offense going.  With Abby and/or Cleary he has to try being superman just to get a shot on goal.  With Semin, Datsyuk's production would go up while is jaw dropping super skillz would probably be shelved a little more often.

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

And speaking of things we probably could have used but were too cheap to look into.  This is from last night's CBJ game...

Again, not gonna spark the team.

Colo, Sammy, Bertuzzi, and Huskins. That's where you're gonna find the true ignition. You should see how much these guys cheer and root. Pure positivity. And at 7.5 mil per season, Holland should be congratulated. Dollars well spent is an understatement, obviously.

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I've always like Semin, he's a quality hockey player.  But I've REALLY wanted Wisniewski for a long time.  I couldn't believe Detroit passed on him until I remembered that he's young, tough, and not currently working through any issues that would drive down his market value.  But what I wouldn't give for a top four defenseman that can hit, fight, score, and run a powerplay?  Alas, Ian White was available at the same time.  And when a bargain like that comes along you can't afford not to take advantage of it. 

#37 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I've always like Semin, he's a quality hockey player.  But I've REALLY wanted Wisniewski for a long time.  I couldn't believe Detroit passed on him until I remembered that he's young, tough, and not currently working through any issues that would drive down his market value.  But what I wouldn't give for a top four defenseman that can hit, fight, score, and run a powerplay?  Alas, Ian White was available at the same time.  And when a bargain like that comes along you can't afford not to take advantage of it. 

They call this a "no brainer" in Hollandland. No reason to pay fair market value for great players when you can overpay good and average players. The Ducks, Pens, and Hawks don't believe in this, and they like to sign, re-sign, and trade for high price tag talent. Look at where that's got them.

#38 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I get the whole don't want to pay market value, but Wiz didn't even give the Wings a glance... I don't know how you can even fault Holland for that when he couldn't even pitch an offer at the guy. Wiz was hard-headed and didn't even want to field an offer. 

"I called James and his response was 'Let's go. We're going,'" his agent Bill Zito said. "His level of enthusiasm for (Columbus) was pretty high."

One team interested in "The Wiz" were the Detroit Red Wings, who are in need of a defenseman after the retirement of Brian Rafalski.

However, the Red Wings will not get a shot to sign Wisniewski, as the defenseman has signed a six-year, $33 million contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to theColumbus Dispatch.

“Honestly, I had long, long talks with James about how close we were to free agency,” Zito said. “In my mind, there’s significantly more money available to him in the free agent market.

“You know what he said, and this isn’t B.S. He said, ‘I like it there.’ He wanted to be in Columbus. He was impressed by what they showed him. It’s a fit.”

"For me, knowing Detroit's history they don't really pay the market value for a defenseman or any player,'' Wisniewski said on NHL Live. "So I didn't think that was going to be a fit for myself.

"Being in Columbus, it's three hours away. It's close enough for family to come but yet far enough to keep them away.''

The guy is money grabbing and his quote says it right there. I would rather have players that think of the team, not their wallet.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

I get the whole don't want to pay market value, but Wiz didn't even give the Wings a glance... I don't know how you can even fault Holland for that when he couldn't even pitch an offer at the guy. Wiz was hard-headed and didn't even want to field an offer. 

The guy is money grabbing and his quote says it right there. I would rather have players that think of the team, not their wallet.

Well you've got em: Quincey, White, Colaiacovo, Sammy.  They're all very willing to take less money and provide less quality play.   Also, Holland could have traded for Wiz's rights just as easily as Columbus did.  James didn't even make it to the UFA market because Columbus traded for his rights, showed him they meant business, and that they were willing to offer him a competitive wage.  Detroit was "interested" in him but did none of that...so of course they missed out. 

#40 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Wiz never woulda came here. I recall reading an article talking about the wings screwed his uncle out of his job with the wings, or something like that.