Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

eastern_conference.gif    Eastern Conference Semi-Finals48661892013.gif

ottawa-senators.png vs. pittsburgh_penguins_logo_3961.png

I'm gonna say Pens in 7. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Let's Go Ot-ta-wa!

#3 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Equal chance of being a 4 game sweep and it going the distance. Either way Pittsburgh is making the finals. 

bringit.jpg

#4 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Equal chance of being a 4 game sweep and it going the distance. Either way Pittsburgh is making the finals. 

I don't think they will. 

#5 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

I don't think they will. 

No team in the East can match their offense. The only reason the Pens didn't cruise to the cup last year was because Philly had even better offensive firepower. Now that they've added Iginla, Morrow and Murray, the 2013 Pens are the best offensive team since the 2002 Wings. In fact the only team in the world that can beat Sid's team right now is Chicago.

They'll cruise through Ottawa in 4-5, and then the Bruins in 5. 

bringit.jpg

#6 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Assuming Pens get better goaltending than last round, Pens make it. If the goaltending is still an issue, then not a chance. 

Pens in 6 is my prediction though. 

#7 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

No team in the East can match their offense. The only reason the Pens didn't cruise to the cup last year was because Philly had even better offensive firepower. Now that they've added Iginla, Morrow and Murray, the 2013 Pens are the best offensive team since the 2002 Wings. In fact the only team in the world that can beat Sid's team right now is Chicago.

They'll cruise through Ottawa in 4-5, and then the Bruins in 5. 

Defence wins championships. The Pens played awful in the first round. Don't look like a championship team at all. 

The 2002 Wings was good on the blue line, as well as in goal. They will not go the distance if they got to score 5-6 goals per game to win. 

#8 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

They will not go the distance if they got to score 5-6 goals per game to win. 

But that's exactly what they'll do. No modern defense can stop that Pittsburgh team from putting up 5 goals at will. As long as Vokoun can keep it under 4, the Pens have the cup on lock.

bringit.jpg

#9 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

But that's exactly what they'll do. No modern defense can stop that Pittsburgh team from putting up 5 goals at will. As long as Vokoun can keep it under 4, the Pens have the cup on lock.

Guess they should just cancel the play offs then.

If the Islanders could give them everything they can handle, What makes people think teams like Boston or Washington would just roll over and die for them? 

The pens  played with zero intensity the first round. Sooner or later someone is gonna jump on that. I'm not sold on the Pens what so ever. Putting in offense has never worked before and it won't start now.

#10 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

The pens  played with zero intensity the first round. 

That's exactly what's so scary. Neal and Crosby coasted through the first round. Only Malkin and maybe Kunitz actually put in effort against NY. We haven't even seen the best of the Pens yet. Crosby can put up maybe 60 pts in the playoffs if he really wanted to, but instead he doesn't want to overwork himself and get injured. 

Boston and Washington will make it a little physical, but when it comes to hockey they'll be blown out by scores of 7-3, 8-2, etc. by a focused Pittsburgh team.

bringit.jpg

#11 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

That's exactly what's so scary. Neal and Crosby coasted through the first round. Only Malkin and maybe Kunitz actually put in effort against NY. We haven't even seen the best of the Pens yet. Crosby can put up maybe 60 pts in the playoffs if he really wanted to, but instead he doesn't want to overwork himself and get injured. 

Boston and Washington will make it a little physical, but when it comes to hockey they'll be blown out by scores of 7-3, 8-2, etc. by a focused Pittsburgh team.

The pens were flat out awful. They could barely make a pass in that first round. And they barely got by the Islanders. The ISLANDERS. The Pens would not be getting no 7 or 8 goals vs the bruins. Not a chance. 

The Pens were able to capitalize on the mistakes a young Islanders team made. That was the difference. They may make the final 4, but they sure as hell aren't gonna make the finals with the Defense (or lack there of) that they have. 

There is nothing scary about this Pens team at all. They looked very beatable. They got outworked, and took stupid penalties. Until they do something with their D, they arent winning any cups. 

Edit: If spending all the money on offense was a sure way to win it all, Teams would have been winning that way for years. Teams with D always shut them down. Especially a big tough team like the Bruins who will just wear them down. 

Edited by marcaractac, 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#12 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Although the Penguins didn't look very good against the Islanders, it'd be a disservice to actual analysis to not give credit to New York's speed.  Every series presents a different matchup, and Pittsburgh was playing against arguably the fastest team in the playoffs, with a ton of young burners.  That fast transition game gave Pittsburgh nightmares.  Is Ottawa that fast?  I'm not sure... but they're definitely not as fast as New York.

There seems to be this rock-paper-scissors simplicity to analysis on the Internet.  Just because a team is listed as a low seed doesn't automatically mean that they don't present a tough matchup, or that every seed ranked higher than them are "better" in every way.

Pittsburgh's biggest weakness is still in net.  I'm curious whether Bylsma starts Fleury this series... managing confidence is always tricky, but I think he'd be pretty dumb not to play Vokoun.  My gut says the Penguins beat Ottawa in 5 games, but Anderson and a solid Senator defense can level the playing field.  I just don't think they have the offense and speed to hem the Penguins in their zone to exploit what is not a very good defense.

#13 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Although the Penguins didn't look very good against the Islanders, it'd be a disservice to actual analysis to not give credit to New York's speed.  Every series presents a different matchup, and Pittsburgh was playing against arguably the fastest team in the playoffs, with a ton of young burners.  That fast transition game gave Pittsburgh nightmares.  Is Ottawa that fast?  I'm not sure... but they're definitely not as fast as New York.

There seems to be this rock-paper-scissors simplicity to analysis on the Internet.  Just because a team is listed as a low seed doesn't automatically mean that they don't present a tough matchup, or that every seed ranked higher than them are "better" in every way.

Pittsburgh's biggest weakness is still in net.  I'm curious whether Bylsma starts Fleury this series... managing confidence is always tricky, but I think he'd be pretty dumb not to play Vokoun.  My gut says the Penguins beat Ottawa in 5 games, but Anderson and a solid Senator defense can level the playing field.  I just don't think they have the offense and speed to hem the Penguins in their zone to exploit what is not a very good defense.

Agree with all of this. I just don't think it's gonna be a slaughter with a bunch of 8-2, 7-3 games. I can see the Pens going as far as the conf finals, but I really can't see them going beyond that.

#14 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Well no matter what's on paper, etc., I hate the Pens and hope Ottawa beats them

#15 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Really hoping that the Sens pull through in this round. If Pens don't get goaltending there in trouble

IPB Image

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

So do the Pens give Fleury another shot?  Or stick with Vokoun?

My vote would be Vokoun until he falters.

#17 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

They'll go with Vokoun and won't look back. Vokoun could put up 4.00 GAA on .850 and the Pens are still the favorites to win the cup by far

bringit.jpg

#18 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Pittsburgh is going to have to play some defence this round. There's no way the can expect to score 4 plus goals a night on Craig Anderson like they did on Nabokov.

Pens, again, embarrass themselves when matched up against a tougher team ( think last years Philly series)

Senators in 6.

#19 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

They'll go with Vokoun and won't look back. Vokoun could put up 4.00 GAA on .850 and the Pens are still the favorites to win the cup by far

No. Just.....No

If Vokoun puts up those #'s in round 2 the Sens would win in 5 games or less. Be realistic here

Edited by marcaractac, 12 May 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

No. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman