• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shaunlang

# 51 JOKE

Rate this topic

Babcock said in regards to Filppula, "The devil you know is usually better than the devil you don't."

I perceive that to mean that at the end of the day, he still wants him back in a Wings jersey.

I'm generally a fan of Filppula but I feel like I've seen enough.

I'm going to have to give a thumbs down to Babs' comment. :thumbdown:

Babcock wants him back, ofcourse. The statement completely means it's better to hold onto something you know, rather than give away that something and then have to search for a replacement. You never know what you're going to replace him with; that's an unknown at that point and time if he left. If he atleast re-signed, we know what we have and what we have to work with.

Filp had a rough season, especially after last season but it's rough to really gauge it with a shortened season while in a transition year. He never really stepped up and was a game changer, or had the power to take over a game. When the rough times came this season, were we expecting him to automatically blossom into one? I've been frustrating with him, as many of us have, but it's rough to replace a top 6 center (some may not regard him as a top 6 center, but rather a 3rd line center) that is also defensively sound. Filp's two way game is good, but it's not over the top at the same time. He's been victim of more than enough blind passes to the middle or behind him while in our own zone. He's shown that he can productive at times, and certainly can make a play.

Moral of the story, I think Filp will walk. We have too many players pushing to get on the roster, and I think we're going to go hard for a top 6 scoring forward with size (Clarkson). Filp doesn't fit the bill of that, and we can replace his 2-way game with Nyquist.

I just read Filppula is seeking 5+ million. Vaya con Dios Flips. 5 years, 20 million. Take it or leave it.

I watch NHL tonight, and they always interview the player who had the best game on the winning team. Howard was on a bunch. Emdog even got a couple spots. Filppula? Never. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that his defense is valueable. Its not worth 5+ million though. 4 tops.

5 years 15 mil take it or leave it. He already got that when he didn't pre-earn the contract. He was paid on potential and only reached it once. He's been a non-finishing machine and horribly inconsistent the other 4 years. And he sucked ass in his contract year. Time to let Flip go and move on. I always liked Flip, but he's replaceable easy. Nyquist is already proving his worth and I'd say he's already as effective or more than Flip.

Let me get this straight - the Red Wings had to claw their way into the Playoffs to preserve a 22-year postseason streak, they did just barely make it in, then proceeded to a better-than-expected run taking down the #2 seed, and were within 1 OT goal of taking out the #1 seed and making the WCF....and you wish that we had been sellers at the deadline? Why, because we didn't win the Cup?

Man, I love this fanbase, but at the same time, it would be nice if it could fully appreciate that it actually does mean something to be a perennial contender and do something in the Playoffs.

I like Filppula as a player, whereas I didn't really like Hudler's game, but I think as with any player, it's just a question of price. If it gets to $5 mil/per for significant length, forget it. Part of the reason I feel that way is that I really believe this organization can train, and possibly already has trained, players who could do a similar role, that won't need to be paid like that for several years (Nyquist, Andersson, etc.)

Guest The Axe

Let me get this straight - the Red Wings had to claw their way into the Playoffs to preserve a 22-year postseason streak, they did just barely make it in, then proceeded to a better-than-expected run taking down the #2 seed, and were within 1 OT goal of taking out the #1 seed and making the WCF....and you wish that we had been sellers at the deadline? Why, because we didn't win the Cup?

Man, I love this fanbase, but at the same time, it would be nice if it could fully appreciate that it actually does mean something to be a perennial contender and do something in the Playoffs.

I like Filppula as a player, whereas I didn't really like Hudler's game, but I think as with any player, it's just a question of price. If it gets to $5 mil/per for significant length, forget it. Part of the reason I feel that way is that I really believe this organization can train, and possibly already has trained, players who could do a similar role, that won't need to be paid like that for several years (Nyquist, Andersson, etc.)

Flip is better than those guys.

Guest DeGraa55

You're forgetting being a seller could of made us better. If we traded fil who would have taken his spot? Tatar? A guy who could score more. I think that's would of helped us now and in the future.

But with that said I'm a fil fan. I want him back but not for more than 4m maybe 4.5m.

Filppula can go to Calgary and re-unite with Hudler...they will pay him $5M.

I am way over Filppula. He has topped out here in Detroit and will not improve on his career year. Change is good. It's time. Filppula and a couple other need to say adios....

Haha....I see you've been reading my posts. I think Flip is either a Duck or a Flame next year.

Filpula is on glue of he really thinks he deserves 5 mill. Hossa gets 5.25 mill and Fil is not even in the same universe as Hoss. Any team that is willing to pay him 5 mill must be sniffing the same glue.. I'm hope Holland has kicked his glue habit

Guest The Axe

Filpula is on glue of he really thinks he deserves 5 mill. Hossa gets 5.25 mill and Fil is not even in the same universe as Hoss. Any team that is willing to pay him 5 mill must be sniffing the same glue.. I'm hope Holland has kicked his glue habit

But Hudler gets 4. Hard to judge.

Guest Crymson

He must really be on drugs if he thinks he's worth $5m, let alone even more than that. So sorry, Fil, but a 34-point pace coupled with your usual lack of physicality and much generally unexceptional play does not merit you getting the salary of a first-line player.

The guy has averaged 35.6 points per season (this takes his 17 points in 41 games this season and doubles it, to simulate a real season) over the length of his contract, and he doesn't bring anything remarkable to the table. And when he isn't scoring, he's invisible.

Guest Crymson

Hudler is, at least, a fairly good scorer, even if he's terrible at everything else. That said, I agree that he doesn't merit $4m. I suspect that Hudler's agent asked Holland to match it, and that Holland refused out of hand.

I didn't think Hulder was worth it either but if someone (not Holland) is willing to over pay then he should go. I was not a fan of either Hudler or Filpula, and that is not to say they are bad players, but they can't ever give us what we need. Hudler is probably Calgary's best player right now, good for him. I'd rather let Filpula go to Calgary, or where ever, and get his 5 mill and I would rather we spend that money on a player like Clarkson or Bickell if we can. I just hate seeing him also leave for nothing instead of Holland trading him when he could for something... especially hearing the Bruins were interested.

Edited by The Secret

If you added as many $1m/yr years Hossa has on the end of Filppula's contract, Flip's hit would probably be < $3m/yr.

And I seriously don't know why people keeping bringing up the $5m number that Flip was asking for before the season was halfway over and before he had a s***ty year. The fact is he was coming off an almost 70 point season and when he scores 60-70 points, he'd be easily worth $5 million a year. But he had a s***ty contract year and I'm sure what he's asking of Holland had gone down.

Edited by Z and D for the C

That's Hossa's cap hit. He's actually being paid $7.9M this year, its only the fact that his contract runs till he's a hundred and two that brings the hit down.

Flips $5M asking price almost certainly comes from the Jordan Staal contract. Similar players - 2nd/3rd line two-way centres - putting up similar points. OK Staal is younger and bigger, but when he signed that 10 year $60M contract I said that Flip's agent would be rubbing his hands with glee.

I like Flip, but Holland mantra is "pay to keep your core players, don't over-pay for your role players", and sorry Valterri, but UFA's like you are as over-paid as ELCs and RFA's are underpaid.

Well, the reality is this. Free agents usually get paid above their worth. Fairly good players are underpaid when on their rookie contracts, and get overpaid as free agents. its just how it is.

Guest Crymson

If you added as many $1m/yr years Hossa has on the end of Filppula's contract, Flip's hit would probably be < $3m/yr.

And I seriously don't know why people keeping bringing up the $5m number that Flip was asking for before the season was halfway over and before he had a s***ty year. The fact is he was coming off an almost 70 point season and when he scores 60-70 points, he'd be easily worth $5 million a year. But he had a s***ty contract year and I'm sure what he's asking of Holland had gone down.

Filppula would barely be worth $5m even if he regularly scored 60 points. He is not physical, is not particularly great at defense, cannot produce without at least one excellent linemate, and disappears for long stretches.

Well, the reality is this. Free agents usually get paid above their worth. Fairly good players are underpaid when on their rookie contracts, and get overpaid as free agents. its just how it is.

Yep, but the only teams that'll give him $5m will be those that need to stay above the salary floor. And even they wouldn't give him more than $5m.