• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I grew up in Europe, so I watched soccer as a kid.  

Big E is too slow to be a defensive midfielder.  Kind of like England's national players.   :tounge:   

Trust me, lack of pace is the least of our concerns! :lol:  The inability to pass, control and hold onto that white round thing are far bigger problems.  The one player we produced in 20 years who could do that on a world class level (Scholes) we played as an occasional left winger, so he just jacked in international football.

Anyway, On-Topic.  I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo.  Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

Edited by Nev, 11 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Trust me, lack of pace is the least of our concerns! :lol:  The inability to pass, control and hold onto that white round thing are far bigger problems.  The one player we produced in 20 years who could do that on a world class level (Scholes) we played as an occasional left winger, so he just jacked in international football.

Anyway, On-Topic.  I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo.  Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

I know.  I was talking about lack of pace in midfielders like Barry, Gerrard, Milner, Lampard.  England needs to develop technical, possession based midfielders, instead of guys who are always kicking balls 50 yards down the field when pressured, hoping some tall Cockney idiot can win a header.  That won't win you games against the top squads.  

Anyhow, I was hoping more posters would create soccer lineups.  Lidstrom and Kronwall playing football (American), somehow sounds like a bad idea for those guys.   :lol:

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Field Positions:

P:  Valtteri Filppula
C:  Jonathan Ericsson
1B:  Johan Franzen
2B:  Henrik Zetterberg

3B:  Jimmy Howard

SS:  Pavel Datsyuk

LF:  Tomas Tatar
CF:  Darren Helm

RF:  Damien Brunner

DH: Niklas Kronwall

Speed in the outfield, range in the infield and double-play artistry on par with Trammell and Whitaker.

Batting Order:
CF  Darren Helm
SS  Pavel Datsyuk
2B  Henrik Zetterberg
1B  Johan Franzen
DH  Niklas Kronwall
RF  Tomas Tatar
C  Jonathan Ericsson
3B  Jimmy Howard

LF  Damien Brunner

Speed at the top and the bottom.

Nice. 

I forgot to mention that Pavel would get a Triple Crown.  :cool:

Instead of saying MVP stands for My Venezuelan Player it would stand for My Valerievich Player. 

I imagine Lids + Kronner as a Free Safety/Strong Safety combo.  Lids playing the perfect positional game snuffing out every pass, Kronner laying the big hits up the middle.

Can't argue with that.

Yeah if I watched soccer at all I would definitely put up a lineup for that sport.  I probably watch less than a minute of soccer on TV and that counts the split seconds between changing channels.  We definitely need some more soccer fans to contribute to this thread.  I know we got a lot of Europeans on here so hopefully they'll make a post or two.

#24 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

OK, here's my attempt

G:  Howard  - obvious

RB: Eaves - shortage of rightys, but works hard and good defensively

CB: Ericsson - Vidic stlye stopper centre-half

CB: Dekeyser - Ferdinand style ball playing centre-half

LB: Kronwall - Big shot and big hits, a Stuart Pearce style left back

DMC:  Andersson - sits in front of the back 4 and protects them.

MC: Nyquist - more of winger in a 4-4-2 formation, but has the skills to succeed in centre mid.

MC: Helm - energiser bunny.  Harries the opposition, wins the ball, and gives it to Hank;)

MC: Zetterberg - hard working, defensively responsible, and skilled to boot.  The ideal central midfielder

AMC: Datsyuk.  He is Messi on skates, right? 

CF: Bertuzzi.  Great for holding the ball up, bringing others into the play.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk