• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Wing

17yr old hockey player charged for on-ice assault.

Rate this topic

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I am from Brantford Ontario, and would agree that we Canadians do go to America with the "we are the s***" attitude in hockey much like MOST (not all) Americans do with any other sport tht they whoop our red and white behinds in. However that's not why I posted. I actually personally know number 13 (the accused). His names Ryan and to be honest, he's a real dumba**. I worked with him at McDonald's and its quite pathetic how someone who is literally the biggest chicken s*** (ryan is a huge *****) can get so tough when he gets another players bucket off first. Oh and another thing, I don't hate Ryan. He's just a goof sometimes but outside of hockey he's harmless. And another thing, I follow him on twitter and he was literally bragging about how he made national news for beating this kid. Tweets: @_Ryan_MacDonald: Well i made the front page .....#Awhf***. @_Ryan_MacDonald: Everyone watch coaches corner tonight i might be on it #HAHAHA #hockeyfight #5monthslater. @_Ryan_MacDonald: Im in the news , im kind of a big deal #LOL #5monthslater. You guys can see my point. Do I believe he should be charged. Ya cause he's an idiot and it will teach him something however normally no I believe criminal charges should be left out of the game. He didn't steal the kids wallet after, the other kid AND his parents knew this was a risk the first day they put him in hockey. One word for the Woodstock kid, turtle.

^^^^^^

If those tweets do belong to the minor that is being investigated, it is going to harm him more than alleviate any pressure. I do not think this child understands the repercussions if he is charged.

Edited by Rivalred

Ya rivalred I was just thinking that as well, and they are his tweets. Him and I are on a talking basis like if we saw eachother we would say hi but not much more. I was gonna tell him he should remove them but it's his life so if he wants to screw it over hockey by showing no remorse that's his call

He has only himself to blame. No matter what you think belongs on the ice or not, it was no accident when he snowed the goalie.

Nobody is saying the kid was blameless...he deserved a 2 minutes unsportsmanlike penalty not a broken nose and a concussion. If that is the penalty for snowing a goalie, what is the penalty for bumping him? Broken legs and a Decapitation by skate blade?

He absolutely has someone to blame...the guy who brutally assaulted him.

This isn't really a slippery slope argument either. He's not the first minor hockey player to be charged with assault and won't be the last.

Its not like its a professional hockey league where fighting is part of the game either, fighting is banned at that level and players don't play with an expectation of having to drop the gloves.

Nobody is saying the kid was blameless...he deserved a 2 minutes unsportsmanlike penalty not a broken nose and a concussion. If that is the penalty for snowing a goalie, what is the penalty for bumping him? Broken legs and a Decapitation by skate blade?

This isn't really a slippery slope argument either. He's not the first minor hockey player to be charged with assault and won't be the last.

Its not like its a professional hockey league where fighting is part of the game either, fighting is banned at that level and players don't play with an expectation of having to drop the gloves.

No way, I remember playin Midgets and every tryout there was at least one fight. Every game had someone trying to fight someone else, not that it always happened, but it happened. These kids know fighting happens at their level and if they don't expect after doing something like that they are dumb. Like I said, I don't condone the whole of what happened, but the kid definitely doesn't deserve to have charges pressed.

I agree pressing charges for a hockey fight is a slippery sloap. But this wasnt a hockey fight. A hockey fight is two guys willingly squaring off and going at it and stopping if one is defenseless. This was one kid grabbing another kid off the ice who had no intention of fighting and just laying into him with sucker punches like a punk. The kid goes down and the punk continues to lay punches into him. That is not a fight. Its one kid throwing a hissy fit and assaulting another. So what that the kid sprayed the goalie. The goalie isnt going to die. It barely effects a goalie. Laying into a kid when hes not looking and while hes on the ice can cause serious harm though. There is to much of this junk in youth hockey. Its going to take a couple punks getting charged to stop it. I dont like the idea of it but if it cleans up youth hockey then Im all for it.

Sucker punching someone and then continuing while they are down and defenseless is the definition of cowardly.

If you are gonna follow unwritten rules, then spraying the goalie is a no no too. I didn't realize in Flashy's first response to me that he had said that kids had already been kicked out for trying to start fights. I think that makes spraying the goalie even more dumb. You know the game is being played like that, why go and antagonize by doing something like that. Pure stupidity.

No way, I remember playin Midgets and every tryout there was at least one fight. Every game had someone trying to fight someone else, not that it always happened, but it happened. These kids know fighting happens at their level and if they don't expect after doing something like that they are dumb. Like I said, I don't condone the whole of what happened, but the kid definitely doesn't deserve to have charges pressed.

If you are gonna follow unwritten rules, then spraying the goalie is a no no too. I didn't realize in Flashy's first response to me that he had said that kids had already been kicked out for trying to start fights. I think that makes spraying the goalie even more dumb. You know the game is being played like that, why go and antagonize by doing something like that. Pure stupidity.

Fights happen yes, but you get suspended 2 games for it as a first offence and 4 games for your second fight. The penalties keep escalating everytime you drop your gloves.

Marty McSorley got charged for swinging his stick at Brashear's head, this isn't all that different, at least McSorley didn't throw a bunch of punches too, after he clubbed him.

I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the goalie snowing as if it somehow mitigates the assault. It's possibly the most minor infraction in the sport, if the accepted response to snowing a goalie is crosschecking a guy to his head then pummeling him while he's down, then what is the appropriate response when someone runs your goalie?

That is the slippery slope here, not the minor charges the Brantford player correctly received. He'll have to do a little community service and he'll face a stiffer punishment the next time he loses his mind and attacks someone, its not like he's facing jailtime.

Fights happen yes, but you get suspended 2 games for it as a first offence and 4 games for your second fight. The penalties keep escalating everytime you drop your gloves.

I think this is the main point of the situation. If fighting has a set penalty in the league, than it may be considered part of the game at this level in this league. Since this league does not consider fighting a match penalty (indefinite suspension pending league review), it would be difficult to argue that a fight would be outside of the expected circumstances in the league. However, you could argue the altercation was not a fight by the definition in the rule book.

I've read through the comments and looking back some of you are hypocrites, See this link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINYQ4zYNzI

I remember some of you happy for the beating McCarty put on Lemieux. Punching him while he was turtled up on the ice and the knees to the face while on the boards."O but that was different" shut it down it's called pay back you don't spray! How was that "ok" but this was not acceptable.?

Here's a youtube quote 0U8123MTA3 1 week ago

"If one sprays a goalie in Canada, the helmet of that one is pulled off and sprayed with fists."

The other player was not seriously injured so get over if these guys got over it so should you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paXJfrjFE9k

I've read through the comments and looking back some of you are hypocrites, See this link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINYQ4zYNzI

I remember some of you happy for the beating McCarty put on Lemieux. Punching him while he was turtled up on the ice and the knees to the face while on the boards."O but that was different" shut it down it's called pay back you don't spray! How was that "ok" but this was not acceptable.?

"If one sprays a goalie in Canada, the helmet of that one is pulled off and sprayed with fists."

The other player was not seriously injured so get over if these guys got over it so should you.

What Lemieux did was far worse than spraying the goalie. But I agree - we are talking about degrees to which people deserve things and that is a tough thing to do. You can't alter the degree to which someone is charged criminally - they either are or they aren't and that is the issue.

Simply because we are not talking about NHL-Level here. This is a Minor league with young players who need more protection than the average NHL-Player who makes his money with the sport and actually know what might happen if he sprays. If this were common in this minor-leagues too I would agree but I don't think that this is the case. Nobody says that any action against a spraying player should be charged but in this league the reaction of the offender seemed way to hard. It even might be on NHL-Level. Therefore the other player could not anticipate what his spraying would lead to and beacuse of that the offender should be charged.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Guest Crymson

If you think that snowing a goalie is equivalent to breaking a player's face by way of an absolutely reckless hit, then I seriously question your moral system.

I think this is the main point of the situation. If fighting has a set penalty in the league, than it may be considered part of the game at this level in this league. Since this league does not consider fighting a match penalty (indefinite suspension pending league review), it would be difficult to argue that a fight would be outside of the expected circumstances in the league. However, you could argue the altercation was not a fight by the definition in the rule book.

Simply put... in that league if you fight...you no longer play in the game (or the next 2).

I think from that its pretty clear...Fighting is not part of their game

If it was you'd just receive a 5 minute penalty. You actually do receive a match penalty for fighting, they've just removed the league review and instituted a set # of games you miss for doing it. If you continue to break the rule, you're banned from the league.

I know several players I played with who suffered this fate for repeated fighting.

Well I stand corrected... if a random Youtube commenter has ruled that it was an appropriate response then how can there be any further debate.

Simply put... in that league if you fight...you no longer play in the game (or the next 2).

I think from that its pretty clear...Fighting is not part of their game

If it was you'd just receive a 5 minute penalty. You actually do receive a match penalty for fighting, they've just removed the league review and instituted a set # of games you miss for doing it. If you continue to break the rule, you're banned from the league.

I know several players I played with who suffered this fate for repeated fighting.

Fighting is penalized by set rules in that league through escalating suspensions. Therefore, the league anticipates that fighting will occur in the league, despite the harsh penalties, and that a standard penalty is adequate. In contrast, match penalties are for serious incidents that cannot, or should not, be subject to standardized penalization by the league. You could argue this play should have been a match penalty, and that would be a different situation.

Just because they anticipate it happening and have set rules and suspensions to deal with it doesn't mean its part of the game.

Its something that happens, that they are actively trying to stop.

Fighting is banned in all minor hockey, its not something players at that level should have to worry about.

Technically speaking this should have been ruled a 1 person fight, which carries a far longer suspension.

If you think that snowing a goalie is equivalent to breaking a player's face by way of an absolutely reckless hit, then I seriously question your moral system

I never said or implied it was equivalent! I was using that fight as an example of how people are being hypocrites on here. Both where reckless and crossed the line. But since Draper was injured it was accepted that after Mac sucker punched him, dazed him, fell on the ice and kept raining blows and some knees to the face. No One is calling for McCarty to serve jail time, knees to the face aren't part of the game. Please tell me other than a broken nose & concussion the damage that was done to young man? O btw he's 17 almost an adult.

Like someone else said you don't do that and expect nothing will happen to you. Yes it crossed the line but charges wow.

The linesmen are partly to blame for watching and not stopping that young man from raining blows down on the other as he was stunned from a crosscheck to the head. You could say his teammates could have helped him but no #3 and #5 didn't stop it.

How about what Bert did that crossed the line. Why wasn't he charged? What Bert did was far worse than this! I could go on and on about incidents that happened and not charged with a crime.

The real issue is how does one combat this so its not an issue?

I think if anything describes the situation or has a close relation it's this and what Burke talks about...

Now obviously this situation had a much different background and was based more on what Ulf did in the past and his gutless reputation but it has many similarities. Not saying this kid is Ulf. That would be beyond stupid. More so just alluding to the belief that a pest "will see his day".

Many people condemned Domi for this while many said Ulf "had it coming". Much like most people say the same about Matt Cooke. Be a pest and people will target you. Whether it's right or wrong.

You play with fire you are going to get burnt. He knew exactly what he was doing and he paid the price. The league will deal with his aggressor and that should be that in my opinion.

Just because they anticipate it happening and have set rules and suspensions to deal with it doesn't mean its part of the game.

Its something that happens, that they are actively trying to stop.

Fighting is banned in all minor hockey, its not something players at that level should have to worry about.

Technically speaking this should have been ruled a 1 person fight, which carries a far longer suspension.

When I said part of the game, I did not refer to it being acceptable, ordinary, or tolerable at the minor level. I did mean that it is prevalent enough that someone playing competitive hockey through age 17 in NA is likely to witness, participate in, etc. a hockey fight, and that it is common knowledge to players at this level that fighting can occur. If consent of both players is needed for a fighting penalty to be assessed, than this should fall under a match penalty situation.

Guest Johnz96

When I said part of the game, I did not refer to it being acceptable, ordinary, or tolerable at the minor level. I did mean that it is prevalent enough that someone playing competitive hockey through age 17 in NA is likely to witness, participate in, etc. a hockey fight, and that it is common knowledge to players at this level that fighting can occur. If consent of both players is needed for a fighting penalty to be assessed, than this should fall under a match penalty situation.

That wasn't a fight. It takes at least 2 combatants to qualify as one.

You play with fire you are going to get burnt. He knew exactly what he was doing and he paid the price. The league will deal with his aggressor and that should be that in my opinion.

The price for snowing a goalie is a 2 minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

The price for a blind side cross check to someone's head followed by a flurry of punches to his already concussed head is a criminal assault charge.

As you said he played with fire, now he's getting burnt. He also knew exactly what he was doing and now he's paying the price.

That wasn't a fight. It takes at least 2 combatants to qualify as one.

From what I am seeing in the Hockey Canada rulebook (is this league subject to this rulebook?) there is a section under fighting for when one player does not retaliate. Therefore, according to the rules Hockey Canada, a fight could be possible with only one combatant. The only mention of a match penalty in the rulebook is if a player uses any hand material (rings, tape, etc) to gain an advantage, or cause injury, during a fight.

The main point in all of this to me, is that people are categorizing this as a "hockey" fight. This in no way what-so-ever was a fight. The kid gets cross checked (which he should of been ready for, because he had to know the goalies team mates would step in) and as he's defenseless, then gets pummeled repeatedly. If this would of happened ANYWHERE else (at school, the mall, or any other sport) The kid faces charges, that's a no-brainer. But seriously, because it occurred in a hockey game, that's OK ????

I've played & coached hockey for over 30 years, and I do see fighting as a part of hockey. But this definitely crosses the line. The more we turn our backs on incidents like this, the more of a problem we are creating. People need to be held accountable for their actions, and if this kid is truly unremorseful, bragging & tweeting about it all proud, that proves my point even more.

Lastly, to say the kid "had it coming to him" because he sprayed the goalie, is absolutely absurd. Kids will do stupid things, and spraying the goalie was definitely stupid, but in no way does THAT warrant getting the crap beaten out of you.

Anyone else a little surprised that this story came out of Canada?

Anyway, my opinion: yes it was a terrible play.. by all means, suspend the kid from your league as long as you see fit. But court is a little much..

Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I am from Brantford Ontario, and would agree that we Canadians do go to America with the "we are the s***" attitude in hockey much like MOST (not all) Americans do with any other sport tht they whoop our red and white behinds in. However that's not why I posted. I actually personally know number 13 (the accused). His names Ryan and to be honest, he's a real dumba**. I worked with him at McDonald's and its quite pathetic how someone who is literally the biggest chicken s*** (ryan is a huge *****) can get so tough when he gets another players bucket off first. Oh and another thing, I don't hate Ryan. He's just a goof sometimes but outside of hockey he's harmless. And another thing, I follow him on twitter and he was literally bragging about how he made national news for beating this kid. Tweets: @_Ryan_MacDonald: Well i made the front page .....#Awhf***. @_Ryan_MacDonald: Everyone watch coaches corner tonight i might be on it #HAHAHA #hockeyfight #5monthslater. @_Ryan_MacDonald: Im in the news , im kind of a big deal #LOL #5monthslater. You guys can see my point. Do I believe he should be charged. Ya cause he's an idiot and it will teach him something however normally no I believe criminal charges should be left out of the game. He didn't steal the kids wallet after, the other kid AND his parents knew this was a risk the first day they put him in hockey. One word for the Woodstock kid, turtle.

His best tweet was

"@_Ryan_MacDonald: Your world eh woodstock police , hurry up i wanna go to the gym"