• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wheelchairwing

Jim Nill takes Red Wings’ director of amateur scouting to Dallas

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

Hey sorry guys. I am not really up to par with this. Can someone that actually knows explain in full detail what we lost. My understanding was two scouts. We're they are better ones? How will it effect us, What area ect.

Funny, was just having a discussion on these forums about how important our scouts were.

This is a huge blow but honestly, Hakan is the essentially piece. He's the guy who pretty much hand picked Datsyuk, Hank, Franzen, Nyquist....and of course Lidstrom

He's the guy we can't lose under any circumstances.

Formerly a fishing guide, he was hired as a scout by the Red Wings in 1990. Since then he has won four Stanley Cup Championships as a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization, in 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008. Andersson, based in Stockholm, Sweden, scouts all over Europe including Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Russia, and has been responsible for the Red Wings drafting Tomas Holmström, Valtteri Filppula, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, and many others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5kan_Andersson_(ice_hockey)

Andersson wasn't part of the organization when Lidstrom was drafted...

The Red Wings pioneered European scouting in the 1980s under former general manager Jimmy Devellano. Their one-time chief European scout Christer Rockstrom discovered Lidstrom in Sweden and convinced the team to draft him in 1989 with the 53rd overall pick.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/05/red_wings_43.html

Christer Rockstrom is the man responsible for Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov and Bure...(although Bure was never a Wing, he was going to be drafted by them in the 5th round in 1989, but the NHL told Detroit he wasn't eligible, then by time the 6th round came around, the NHL deemed he was eligible and before Detroit could take him, Vancouver snatched him up three picks ahead of them.)

Or, you know, maybe the guy was offered a fatter paycheck and a bigger role with the Stars.

Why are some people so quick to jump to the most dire conclusions possible?

People like to forget that sports jobs are regular jobs, too. People move on after a while to new challenges. Rebuilding a destroyed team could be a fun challenge as opposed to merelt keeping a team competitive.

And I'm tired of seeing people say Nill is the brains. He's good, but I haven't seen anything to denigrate Holland.

I love how people spout off all of this banter about Nill being better than Holland because of XYZ and being the "real GM" in Detroit, and then they go complain in other threads about every signing and draft we've made over the last several years. Which is it people?

This is probably going to have fairly insignificant effects overall. I actually can't remember the last North American impact player the Red Wings drafted. I guess Darren Helm in 2005 or Jimmy Howard in 2003.

People like to forget that sports jobs are regular jobs, too. People move on after a while to new challenges. Rebuilding a destroyed team could be a fun challenge as opposed to merelt keeping a team competitive.

And I'm tired of seeing people say Nill is the brains. He's good, but I haven't seen anything to denigrate Holland.

He got Seguin but it costed him Eriksson and kids. Then he acquired Horcoff whom I believe is not even trash but the moisture in the bottom of the garbage can. Holland got Alfredsson, Weiss and DeKeyser...one of last years additions will be full time all year. I'd be looking more forward to this year asa a Wings fan. Oh and Dats signed on for 3 more years. I'll take red grass compared to Dallas green thanks.

Guest Playmaker

Funny, was just having a discussion on these forums about how important our scouts were.

This is a huge blow but honestly, Hakan is the essentially piece. He's the guy who pretty much hand picked Datsyuk, Hank, Franzen, Nyquist....and of course Lidstrom

He's the guy we can't lose under any circumstances.

Lidstrom was drafted before Andersson worked for the Wings.

Guest The Axe

@RedWingsFeed: TMR: Wings Announce Scouting Staff Appointments: per George... Wings have hired... http://t.co/0AbO7W2OeV via @KuklasKorner #NHL #RedWings

FWIW...

EvaUnitZero was hired to just scouy Calgary only.