• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtomicPunk

Players We've Traded Away

Rate this topic

Holy crap, I honestly had no idea Mike Foligno was drafted by the Wings. I thought he was always a Sabre. wow, that sucks.

He had 36 goals his first season, and came in 2nd for rookie of the year behind Brian Propp.

Primeau was like 25 years old when he got traded. He had 26 - 34 goals in 4 out of the next 5 seasons and he was hurt in the other season out of that. Keith Primeau wasn't a hall of famer or anything, but he had successful seasons after Detoit got rid of him.

Primeau was

Primeau was like 25 years old when he got traded. He had 26 - 34 goals in 4 out of the next 5 seasons and he was hurt in the other season out of that. Keith Primeau wasn't a hall of famer or anything, but he had successful seasons after Detroit got rid of him.

Primeau was very good when he was traded his problem was he wasn't producing in the play offs

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

Marcel Dionne is the biggest.

After Kelly. Kelly not only went to the Wings rival, but won four Cups playing center for the Leafs, and had his jersey honored by the Leafs.

Meanwhile, the Wings didn't win squat for another 40 years.

That said, his jersey should be hanging from the JLA rafters today, regardless.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Crymson

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

After Kelly. Kelly not only went to the Wings rival, but won four Cups playing center for the Leafs, and had his jersey honored by the Leafs.

Holland is a terrible GM for trading away those players.

:ok:

Wow - you are right! Sillinger played for 12 teams in his career, which is pretty amazing!

or how about Mike Knuble , with 270 post Wings goals, in 2000 to the Rangers for a draft pick that became Tomas Kopecky?

Knuble was traded in 1998, and did not break out until the 2002-2003 season. In his four seasons after the trade, he mustered an unimpressive 42 total goals. This came on the heels of a very unimpressive season with the Wings; he played himself off of a roster that simply had very little space at the time.

Knuble was traded in 1998, and did not break out until the 2002-2003 season. In his four seasons after the trade, he mustered an unimpressive 42 total goals. This came on the heels of a very unimpressive season with the Wings; he played himself off of a roster that simply had very little space at the time.

wait so you're telling me we won 3 stanley cups without him?

You are right - my bad. The Wings received the Rangers 2000 pick, but the trade itself was in 1998. His breakout season was 2002 with the Bruins, in which he had 30 goals and 29 assists, and that was the first of his 8 straight seasons of 21 or more goals. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, he had that Shanahan-type size that we could so badly use today!

Guest Crymson

You are right - my bad. The Wings received the Rangers 2000 pick, but the trade itself was in 1998. His breakout season was 2002 with the Bruins, in which he had 30 goals and 29 assists, and that was the first of his 8 straight seasons of 21 or more goals. At 6'3" and 230 lbs, he had that Shanahan-type size that we could so badly use today!

He was very unimpressive during his time with the Wings, and then with the Rangers. There was no predicting that he'd turn into a valuable player four years down the line.

He did benefit from his time with the Wings, though; he has his name on the Stanley Cup (53 regular seasons games in '97-'98), and his very first NHL game was on March 26th, 1997.

Edited by Crymson

March 5th, 1991:

to NYR: Joe Kocur, Per Djoos

to DET: Kevin Miller, Jim Cummins, Dennis Vial

damn we sure missed that Djoos guy! :D

edit: Although, we then traded Miller for Ciccarelli the following year, so all was good.

Edited by LeftWinger

Besides the really old time legends...not really any of the players turned into all stars or fundamental building blocks for other franchises, though. Knuble or Sillenger or Drake were pieces, not really franchise guys.

March 5th, 1991:

I remember seeing Vial play for the Sheffield Steelers in the British Superleague, never realised he was a former Wing, remembered him from the Senators expansion days though.

Red Kelly.

Close thread.

That said, his jersey should be hanging from the JLA rafters today, regardless.

Absolutely agree. Losing Kelly was ridiculously bad.

I know his best seasons were with us, but I was sad to see Ysebaert go. IIRC, we got Ward for him, though, so given his later production this actually turned out ok.

Chiasson for Vernon was a bummer at the time, but we all know how that one turned out.

On the subject of the Primeau trade, I was upset to see Coffey go. I was a huge fan of his -- watching him and Nick hold the line on the PP was a thing of beauty. Shanahan worked out pretty well for us, though ;)

Edited by Uncle Danny

One of my thoughts on this topic are that we value these young players so much that to trade them for established talent...NOOOO! But if you look back in the storied history of the Red Wings, it's usually worked out in our favor.

March 5th, 1991:

damn we sure missed that Djoos guy! :D

edit: Although, we then traded Miller for Ciccarelli the following year, so all was good.

Didn't Djoos score 4-5 goals IN ONE GAME against the North Stars once?

I know his best seasons were with us, but I was sad to see Ysebaert go. IIRC, we got Ward for him, though, so given his later production this actually turned out ok.

Chiasson for Vernon was a bummer at the time, but we all know how that one turned out.

On the subject of the Primeau trade, I was upset to see Coffey go. I was a huge fan of his -- watching him and Nick hold the line on the PP was a thing of beauty. Shanahan worked out pretty well for us, though ;)

I loved it when Primeau got traded. LOVED it. I guess I never got over the fact that we didn't take Jagr because of Petr Klima's troubles. When I think of Primeau on the ice, he's butt is wet from falling down so often trying to unsuccessfully split the defense. Off the ice, I can't forget the grown man COLLECTED MICKEY MOUSE FIGURINES.

Hated seeing Chiasson go too. I still fondly can hear, "Chaisson with a drive!" coming over my radio.

I loved it when Primeau got traded. LOVED it. I guess I never got over the fact that we didn't take Jagr because of Petr Klima's troubles. When I think of Primeau on the ice, he's butt is wet from falling down so often trying to unsuccessfully split the defense. Off the ice, I can't forget the grown man COLLECTED MICKEY MOUSE FIGURINES.

I actually made a compilation video of Primeau falling down over and over and over and over, it was pretty long.

I actually made a compilation video of Primeau falling down over and over and over and over, it was pretty long.

Is it on Youtube? I'd love to watch that. In my circle of friends, we called Primeau "Lumpy." Not exactly sure why but it seemed to fit.

Guest Playmaker

Primeau sat out and made ridiculous contract demands and complained endlessly about not being able to play center. I was thrilled to see him go and to get Shanahan in the deal was too good to be true.

Adam Oates was traded because Jimmy D. heard that Adam Oates' name appeared in a "black book" of a drug dealer, and on the heels of all the Probert problems, wanted to quickly get rid of him. Turned out to be nothing. It wasn't as though he was a prospect here, he was already a good player. It helped being able to play with Brett Hull.

Just because a player was traded and may have put up better numbers somewhere else, doesn't mean they ever would have turned into that same player here.

Maybe you're thinking of Johan Garpenlov? He scored 5 straight goals over two games during his rookie season. 1 against Minnesota, and 4 against St. Louis, Nov.. 23, 1990. I was at the Blues game with my best friend. Turned out to be his last Wings' game, he died in his sleep 10 days later.

Even though it wasn't a trade, losing Randy McKay to New Jersey for compensation over the Troy "Bad Back" Crowder signing. Tough, hardnosed kid who was part of the "Crash Line", and helped the Devils beat the Wings in '95.