Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

12/21 GDT: Red Wings 5 @ Maple Leafs 4 (SO, yes, SO)

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#421 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Reading recaps of the game and such, I find one of the general messages is that these teams are very evenly matched. Which may be true, but I'd like us to have Zetterberg, Nyquist, Helm, Franzen, Abdelkader (and Howard) (and Weiss) healthy in a game against them before that call is made.

Toronto overachieved in the beginning of the season. The give up tons of shots against, they have the most giveaways in the league, they have awful center depth... even when they were winning a lot there were many people who said it wasn't going to hold up. I wouldn't be completely shocked if they end up missing the playoffs as there are some teams starting to heat up while the Leafs look like they're out of luck. 

Wings are easily a better team when at full strength. 

#422 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'd like to see Sheahan some more, I think he provides way more then Andersson does.

#423 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Toronto overachieved in the beginning of the season. The give up tons of shots against, they have the most giveaways in the league, they have awful center depth... even when they were winning a lot there were many people who said it wasn't going to hold up. I wouldn't be completely shocked if they end up missing the playoffs as there are some teams starting to heat up while the Leafs look like they're out of luck. 

They are missing their top two centers and despite Phaneuf the defense just isn't that good but they are still too good for not making the playoffs. They will and they are going to be one of the teams I would not like to face.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#424 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

No, they shouldn't have their own guys on a national broadcast.  Glen Healy shouldn't be trashing the Wings all game and cheering for everything the Leafs are doing.  The announcing should be 100% unbiased.

It's a Canadian, specifically a Leafs broadcast... Get over yourself. The Red Wings broadcasts are biased I don't see you complaining about that.

#425 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

2 wins in a row and we celebrate like they just won the cup.....

i am hoping for a nice streak and some of the regulars back....

After getting  bitchslapped by Pittsburgh and Anaheim, any points we get with this line-up are just gravy.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#426 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'd like to see Sheahan some more, I think he provides way more then Andersson does.

Agreed. For some reason I just don't see Andersson as a long term option on the Wings. Sheahan looks to have more in the toolbox to be effective out there. A large part of this is his skating which is much better than Andersson's.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#427 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

HNIC is the shiznit.
When do you EVER see a Canadian team on NBC or Verses, Outdoor Channel, or whatever they call it.
Just my five cents.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#428 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

When do you EVER see a Canadian team on NBC or Verses, Outdoor Channel, or whatever they call it.

Never, and for perfectly good reason: NBC is an American network and Canadian viewers are not reflected in its viewing audience for purposes of ratings. It therefore would be a nonsensical business decision to air games including Canadian teams.

Agreed. For some reason I just don't see Andersson as a long term option on the Wings. Sheahan looks to have more in the toolbox to be effective out there. A large part of this is his skating which is much better than Andersson's.

Andersson is years better defensively and in the faceoff circle. His chief value lays therein.

Andersson is years better defensively and in the faceoff circle. His chief value lays therein.

#429 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I agree. I was just trying to be diplomatic. :hehe:

Re: Sheahan Vs. Andersson - I'm thinking Babs will just move one of them to the wing.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#430 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Who was the Young guy that shook hands with Holland up in box at the end of the game???????????????

#431 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Who was the Young guy that shook hands with Holland up in box at the end of the game???????????????

I don't know for sure but it looked like nyquist to me

#432 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

HNIC is the shiznit.
Just my five cents.

I watched the wings Leafs game on fox sports :P actually I couldn't even watch the game

#433 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

Never, and for perfectly good reason: NBC is an American network and Canadian viewers are not reflected in its viewing audience for purposes of ratings. It therefore would be a nonsensical business decision to air games including Canadian teams.

I think that was his point in response to all the shock that CBC is biased towards the Canadian teams.  Networks cater to their audience.  End of story.  I don't get why that's such a big issue.

#434 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's a Canadian, specifically a Leafs broadcast... Get over yourself. The Red Wings broadcasts are biased I don't see you complaining about that.

Get over myself?  What are you a high school girl?  This isn't about getting over anything, it's about it being a national broadcast, not a Fox Sports Detroit feed that only Wings fans tune into.  Huge difference.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#435 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Anytime I feel like I'm done with Andy he goes and has a great game or couple of games. The guy works hard, you gotta give him that. He reminds me a little bit of Holmstrom in some ways. There's not a lot that stands out about him other than his faceoffs but I think he could carve out a nice career as a 3rd/4th line center. Just not sure it's going to be for the Wings.

#436 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Looked like Ritlola to me - no idea why he would be there though.

As for Sheahan v Andersson.  First of all lets give Sheahan a few more games before we hand him the 4C spot.  Every rookie looks great until we learn their tendancies and decide they "suck" after all.  Secondly we mustn't under-rate Andersson's value on the PK.  So many times he wins that first face-off in the defensive zone and the puck gets sent down the ice.  Instant 20 seconds killed.  Sure, he's slow as molasses, but give him speedy wingers and he can be effective.

Edited by Nev, 23 December 2013 - 01:43 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#437 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

I’m pretty sure that Sheahan is comfortable playing on the wing and that Cleary is comfortable in a suit. Problem solved. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#438 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think that was his point in response to all the shock that CBC is biased towards the Canadian teams.  Networks cater to their audience.  End of story.  I don't get why that's such a big issue.

That's not how it is at all. TSN is never biased against American teams. NBC is never biased against Canadian teams. Of the national broadcasters, only CBC leans.

#439 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

That's not how it is at all. TSN is never biased against American teams. NBC is never biased against Canadian teams. Of the national broadcasters, only CBC leans.

Nbc is the most biased station especially when the hawks or pens are involved. But yeah cbc is pretty bad too.

#440 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

Nbc is the most biased station especially when the hawks or pens are involved. But yeah cbc is pretty bad too.

Certain NBC broadcast personnel (but not others) are biased toward certain teams, yes, but the network's coverage is not biased along national lines. CBC is quite biased in that regard.