• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#461 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Strangely enough, that mish-mash would be the best looking of the 3.

Smith plays really good with everyone not named Quincey.

Which is why he's been scratched?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#462 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

I really want to like Smith...but man he's so stupid out there its ridiculous 

#463 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Which is why he's been scratched?

He was likely scratched cause he got a garbage call against him and the Wings lost in OT.  Babcock loves doing that to young guys whenever he gets the chance, but it takes 50 games to bench Cleary and Tuzzi and he still hasn't benched that spud Q.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#464 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

He was likely scratched cause he got a garbage call against him and the Wings lost in OT.  Babcock loves doing that to young guys whenever he gets the chance, but it takes 50 games to bench Cleary and Tuzzi and he still hasn't benched that spud Q.

That's not even close to the stupidest thing Smith's done this month, and he's only now being benched.  If Babs wanted to bench Smith for a single boneheaded incident, it probably would have come after his egregious turnover for a goal against Chicago.  Smith is currently being benched for the same reason Kindl was benched.  They're both f*cking terrible defensively and don't contribute enough offensively to make it worthwhile to leave them in the lineup. 

Making excuses for him isn't doing him any favors in the long run.  He's got to get his s*** together.  He's got all the tools to do so.  But sooner or later he (and the fans) have got to stop blaming his play on Kindl or Quincey or this or that.  He doens't provide much offense, is bad in his own end, and leads the defense in turnovers.  Hell the strength of an offensive d-man is supposed to be offensive, and puck management.  I could forgive his constant blundering of zone coverage, but how does the supposed best young puck mover we have consistently turn the puck over?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#465 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

All you're really saying is that Smith plays best when someone better covers up his mistakes, which is true of every bad defenseman.  Smith isn't even adequate defensively on the second pair.  Put him on the first and you destroy that pairing (since Kronwall isn't a shutdown guy either).  Good first lines would MURDER that top pair.  Also, Smith has been paired with Dekeyser and Lashoff (both responsible) plenty this year and that hasn't noticeably improved his performance...so you can't blame it all on Quincey and Kindl.  You can't move a guy up to the first pair simply because he's a disaster with every other guy on your team. 

The only solution I see is to get a second pair defenseman at the deadline, drop Smith permanently to the third pair with Lashoff, and trade/waive Kindl or Quinecy.  Either that or accept that your defense falls off significantly after the first pair.

Kronwall and Smith didn't get murdered playing together at all. They did it the entire time E was gone and were fine at both ends. That's why I suggested the pairing -- Quincey and Kindl don't make Smith better, but Kronwall did.

Also, I hardly recall Smith playing with DeKeyser at all. Maybe Lashoff some, but Smith's partner was almost exclusively Quincey before E was hurt.

I do agree that getting another d-man is imperative regardless. Someone that can move the puck and chip in offensively is a big need for the Red Wings.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#466 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Kronwall and Smith didn't get murdered playing together at all. They did it the entire time E was gone and were fine at both ends. That's why I suggested the pairing -- Quincey and Kindl don't make Smith better, but Kronwall did.

Also, I hardly recall Smith playing with DeKeyser at all. Maybe Lashoff some, but Smith's partner was almost exclusively Quincey before E was hurt.

I do agree that getting another d-man is imperative regardless. Someone that can move the puck and chip in offensively is a big need for the Red Wings.

Just looked it up.  You're right.  Smith has not played much with Dekeyser.  Still don't think it's a good idea to put him on the top pair though, since he doesn't play defense to any noticeable degree and turns the puck over like it's his job.