• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sinden

Upgrade The Defense Rumours

Rate this topic

Guest Sinden

In fighting for a playoff spot Ken Holland's seat this year has been a little hotter then usual, though injuries have played a HUGE roll. IMO the Redwings can compete for the Stanley Cup. They have a deep enough team and have shown they can beat elite teams. Ken Holland's philosophy is to not overpay via trades. It is to build through the draft and in free agency. Unfortunately in todays NHL you will most likely have to over pay to acquire via trade. Teams do not like giving up proven assets. Why would they? Ken Holland would like to upgrade and has supposedly inquired about a few defenseman. Who knows if he is just "kicking tires". These are the "speculated" prices of these following defenseman. Please don't drill me and keep in mind the following are completely "rumors".

Christian Ehrhoff- A puck moving defenseman that is signed through the 2020 2021 season. Would help with the transition game in moving the puck. The asking price is speculated to be: 1st,2nd or 1st and mid-level prospect.

Mark Giordano- At the age of 30 the newly appointed Calgary Flames captain is emerging into a top NHL defenseman. A top pairing player that was close to making team Canada. Signed through 2015 2016 season at a cap friendly number. This is a move that could help the Flames rebuild. The asking price is speculated to be: Jurco, 1st, Sheahan/Ouellet.

Zach Bogosian- A young 23 year old defenseman with a lot of potential that he may or may not cash in on. He is a very athletic player that has yet to find his game. Before the hiring of their new coach, Manger Kevin Cheveldayoff was looking to make a move. The Jets are only looking for roster players. The asking price is speculated to be: Smith, Nyquist/Tatar, plus.

Alex Edler- Rumour has it last year the Redwings brass offered Nyquist, 1st, plus something for Edler. With the situation in Vancouver Edlers price has dropped. He is a good puck moving defenseman that plays well with support. He is a very inconsistent player, but would for sure help out the struggling Redwings powerplay.The asking price is speculated to be: Jurco and a 1st or Jurco and a high-level prospect.

Dan Girardi- In the 2013 NHL shortened season Girardi led the league in blocked shots. He is a solid defensive defenseman who can contribute offensively, unlike Brad Stuart. If not able to reach a deal with the Rangers the asking price is speculated to be: Jurco, 1st, plus

The prices are steep, but an upgrade on defence would be huge. The Redwings clearly need another piece on the blueline and why wait? Ken Holland has acknowledged that and now we all wait and see if he feels its time to trade prospects for a proven player. The Redwings can compete, but keep in mind that other contending teams will be getting better by adding pieces at the deadline. With the break and not much to talk about what do all of you think about this? What would you do?

edit- bolded players*

Edited by Sinden

Honestly, I've mentioned it in other threads, but I'd also hate to move Gus, Tatar or Jurco. I'd be fine with moving a package of Pulkkinen, Smith and a 2nd for some of those defenders. I think that's a fair package, and it's probably as far as I'd go in terms of value.

It would be ideal to add a legitimate top 4 defender now, but I feel like Smith, Marchenko, Ouellet, Backman and/or Sproul will grow into those roles - we're just going to have some growing pains.

Kindl for Gilbert straight up. Wings get a RH shot for the PP and cap room and the Panthers get a young d-man who might benefit from a change of scenery. I don't know if that will be the exact deal, but if the Wings make a trade it's probably going to be something like that.

Girardi is FA so there is no way we should offer Jurco, 1st and +.

From your list, I would like to see Bogosian as he could be nice partner for either Kronwall or Deke but I'm against trading Jurco, Nyquist or Mantha. I really like Tatar, but if we can get Bogo for Tatar and 1st I would think twice.

Problem with Kenny is that he doesn't want to "overpay" FA's either... his best FA additions were the players who WANTED to play here, Hasek, Hull (Yzerman and Shanny took pay-cut in order to free some salary for Hull), Hossa and Alf.

The other FA additions were a complete mess: Whitney, Hatcher, Colo, Sammy, Tootoo... Let's not forget that Kenny offered Nyquist, Smith and a 1st (Mantha) for Edler and the Canucks refused that offer, how about offer that he made to Elias $7M/7years but he decided to stay with Devils...

Kindl for Gilbert straight up. Wings get a RH shot for the PP and cap room and the Panthers get a young d-man who might benefit from a change of scenery. I don't know if that will be the exact deal, but if the Wings make a trade it's probably going to be something like that.

I would rather trade Kindl for McQuaid and bring Sproul as RH-PP Def.

Kindl - DeKe

E - Sproul

Smith - McQuaid

Q : trade for whatever we can get for him

Sproul's not ready yet, his defensive coverage is way too weak still. Beyond that, Kindl has more value. I'm not sure anyone would take Quincey at his salary.

Kindl's value is low at this point (he was recently scratched couple of times).

Q is a FA at the end of the year so it's not a big deal his salary, Jets are looking for some LDef help. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in LA again.

A younger guy signed next year is going to be valued more than an older pending free agent who makes more money more often than not. Lots of teams see guys like Kindl as guts who maybe just need a change of scenery. If you can get him for not that much why not take a chance?

Finally made an account on this forum just for this post, after months of reading anonymously.

At the beginning of this season, I was all for trading a Nyquist or Tatar for someone that could help the D. Given the circumstances at that time, we had a bunch of offensive players and forwards, to the extent that neither would play, and we had an expected to be, weak D. An upgrade there via player that couldn't crack the lineup would have been massive.

Fast forward to now, where Nyquist, and the Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco line has been the brightest spot for this team, I'm almost to the point where I'd say stay put unless someone is basically giving up a Dman. Our defense isn't the best, but Smith has improved tremendously in the past 20-25 games, on top of Kronner, E and DK. It'd have to be a Letang or Subban that got me to give up a Gus or Tats or anyone closely rated in that area

after listening to Kenny today it seems that they are high on Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen and Marchenko and it would appear that the likes of

Lashoff Kindl Quincey and maybe Smith are playing for their future in the run. although i did detect a certain hint on re-signing Q !!

Looks like only Kronner, E and DD or untouchable on the D. I would still like to see us go after a genuine top 2 guy.