Photo
- - - - -

Do you want Jonas Gustavsson re-signed?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want Gustavsson re-signed?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you want the Wings to re-sign Jonas Gustavsson?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 smtevo

smtevo

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

What are the chances that mrazek bolts if he's not promoted next year? I can see that happening.

#42 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

What are the chances that mrazek bolts if he's not promoted next year? I can see that happening.

He's on contract through the end of next season. I guarantee he will back up Jimmy, they need to know what they've got in him before they 're sign or release him

#43 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Who's M? And I would rather trade Howard then keep him as a third goalie, he's a starter and he's paid $5m/year, putting him as a third would be dumb and disrespectful, and may ruin his entire career. I know you were only half serious, but he has been quite good since his injuries stopped.

Hi ET...

I meant Mrazek i just didn't feel like scrolling up to see how his name is spelled ;).  I do agree that if my scenario played they'd have to trade him.  I was being half serious with making him 3, but I think we need to move in another direction.  I dont' think he can be the goalie we need, and that's just my opinion.  Seemed like every game down the stretch he was letting 3+ goals in (too lazy to look the stats up, sorry)...that's the eyeball test.  It goes beyond this year for me.  I thought with a great goalie we beat Chicago last year.  Howard hsa never been out of the 2nd round.  I just don't see it..  But, i guess it's possible if we get a lot better on defense.  I just wish he would come up with those timely saves more often.

U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#44 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hi ET...

I meant Mrazek i just didn't feel like scrolling up to see how his name is spelled ;).  I do agree that if my scenario played they'd have to trade him.  I was being half serious with making him 3, but I think we need to move in another direction.  I dont' think he can be the goalie we need, and that's just my opinion.  Seemed like every game down the stretch he was letting 3+ goals in (too lazy to look the stats up, sorry)...that's the eyeball test.  It goes beyond this year for me.  I thought with a great goalie we beat Chicago last year.  Howard hsa never been out of the 2nd round.  I just don't see it..  But, i guess it's possible if we get a lot better on defense.  I just wish he would come up with those timely saves more often.

Y, I figured you meant mrazek, but. A bunch of people were talking about McCollum right before your post so I couldn't be sure

#45 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

Today's game might go pretty far in answering this topic.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#46 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

I'd resign Monster for a one year deal if for no other reason Jimmy does go on IR from time to time and I don't think Mrazek is ready for #1 type minutes should it be a bad injury.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#47 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'd resign Monster for a one year deal if for no other reason Jimmy does go on IR from time to time and I don't think Mrazek is ready for #1 type minutes should it be a bad injury.

I'd agree, bit the fact is mrazek will never be ready for those minutes if he doesn't start getting backup time in the nhl.

#48 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Gustavsson will probably control his own fate. Id Imagine he wants more than a 1 year deal, he will probably test the market before he signs a 1 year deal here. To be honest there are probably more attractive options out there for a guy like Gus than to hang around and wait for a kid to take his job. If I were him and I was offered 2 or 3 years somewhere else id take it for job security. After watching Tampa in the playoffs I could see Yzerman offer him 2/3 year deal to back up Bishop even though Gustavsson is injury prone.

Gustavsson could stay here if his swedish buddies have any sort of influence.

#49 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Mrazek has done everything he needs to do in every league/tourney he has ever played in up to this point.  When he was called up for the Wings, he was as solid as anyone could expect of him.  In fact, in the nine games that he played in this season, he posted a better GAA and save% (1.74, .927) than Howard and Gustavsson, and is tied for the team lead in shutouts with two.  Granted, nine games isn't that large of a sample size, but the only way to get him more games is to bring him on as a backup.  I think he has demonstrated that he is ready.

#50 wingnut_05

wingnut_05

devoted

• 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

We have bigger problems than between the pipes... I have no problem with Monster (if they can bring him back for cheap?) let's see how he handles tonight.  We need somebody who's hungry and will push Howard, Mrazek could be that guy.

We need somebody who's not going to be injury/concussion prone.

#51 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

He's garbage 3 goals minimum every game.. No thanks!

#52 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

He's garbage 3 goals minimum every game.. No thanks!

ya sure the best Wings player tonight is garbage ...

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#53 lwing

lwing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

I like Gus, but Mrazek will do something you rarely see on this team. He will make a high paid veteran (Howard) nervous and play for his job every night. We need more of this - hungry young guys who have their sights on taking away other people's jobs. It is good for the entire team and organization. Plus, I am certain Mrazek will be our starting goalie in a year or two at most. Howard can't compete with this kids attitude or skill. Mark my words. 

#54 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Id like to see the nhl open the goals up more. Either make nets bigger or reduce goalie pads alot more. U watch vintage hockey and it was a human standing in net with tons of room around him to score. Now when u look at a goalie in net there is so little room for scoring. You hear all the commentators say all the time how u cant score on goslies without putting it top corner anymore. I think that is a problem.

Safety is paramount but they gotta do something. Unless its a bad goal, most goals are scrum goals. Not all that exciting.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#55 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

I don't see any chance that Monster comes back. With the chances now that a player can bolt at any time to the KHL if he feels hes not getting a fair shot at the NHL players can't be stashed in the AHL for extra years. Mrazek needs to come up next year. Only way Monster comes back is if they move Howard and bring Monster back as starter A. If he can't stay healthy as just a backup he won't last a full season and then your putting your teams hopes on a rookie goaltender with no safety net. Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

#56 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

I don't see any chance that Monster comes back. With the chances now that a player can bolt at any time to the KHL if he feels hes not getting a fair shot at the NHL players can't be stashed in the AHL for extra years. Mrazek needs to come up next year. Only way Monster comes back is if they move Howard and bring Monster back as starter A. If he can't stay healthy as just a backup he won't last a full season and then your putting your teams hopes on a rookie goaltender with no safety net. Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

The KHL is only a problem when it comes down to Russians. I'm sure the monster will test UFA and look for a starting position somewhere, his hometown might also be a looking for a goaltender so plenty of options for him. Mrazek at this point is nothing more than a prospect with potential, nobody knows how he will do in the NHL so putting all the hope on him can also be a risky. And I firmly believe that goaltending isn't that big of a problem, Howard needs to be more consistent and whoever the backup will be needs to push for the starting position.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#57 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

I voted no because I believe that he will want more then a 1 year deal and he will get it in this market. Jimmy needs to be pushed much harder and I think Mrazek will do that. If Mrazek can steal a few starts maybe with less work Jimmy stays healthier. win/win. 

#58 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Howard plays best when he had no compitition and we ride him for the full regular season. I say sign a cheap backup like greiss and let howard play to earn his massive contract. Give him this year to sort it out and Mrazek will develop more in GR and then the following year make decisions on who is the long term solution.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#59 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

Gus needs to go to a team where he can start, if he can stay healthy.

I'd bring up Mrazek, we gotta see if this kid is the real deal, plus letting Gus go saves cap space.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#60 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I felt the Gustavsson did well.