• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

We were 16th is goals allowed this year. Bottom half. Our best defensive Dman has played all of 90 NHL games. But this isn't an either or thing. You need both. How good would a defensive be made up of 6 Letangs? Not very. But man could they move the puck. Flip side, how good of a team would you have with-pick you best stay at home guy? That is the Devils model and it does work.

#22 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

I'd like a solid right handed veteran defenceman who can play above average in most situation. Doesn't have to be flashy just reliable.

We were 16th is goals allowed this year. Bottom half. Our best defensive Dman has played all of 90 NHL games. But this isn't an either or thing. You need both. How good would a defensive be made up of 6 Letangs? Not very. But man could they move the puck. Flip side, how good of a team would you have with-pick you best stay at home guy? That is the Devils model and it does work.

We were 16th despite the fact Howard had one of his worst years to date.  Considering that and the room for growth for many of our defencemen, it's not as dire as it may seem.

That is not the Devils model. They also have smallish undersized offensive defencemen just like most teams. ie. Zidlicky, Greene. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#23 UpstateNYRedWingsFan

UpstateNYRedWingsFan

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'd like a solid right handed veteran defenceman who can play above average in most situation. Doesn't have to be flashy just reliable.

But imagine Kronwall with Smith, Letang with Ericsson, and Dekeyser with anyone but Kindl or Lashoff. That would be great.

#24 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

But imagine Kronwall with Smith, Letang with Ericsson, and Dekeyser with anyone but Kindl or Lashoff. That would be great.

You would wanna pay that much for your second pairing defenseman? It'd be good don't get me wrong but wows that be too much IMO.

#25 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Myers is a possible buyout target for Buffalo this year.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#26 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:37 PM

Myers isn't going to get bought out. He is still very young and played much better the second half under Nolan.

Now Letang. I could see the Pens moving him and keeping Nikwhatever his name is. Whatever happened to Smith or Jones......geez...... A Dekeyser-Letang pairing would be very good overall. Yes there would be some WTF moments on D once in a while. But 90 points from the pair would be normal.

#27 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

Not my words - The Hockey News' postulation.

http://www.thehockey...dates-for-2014/

Myers isn't going to get bought out. He is still very young and played much better the second half under Nolan.

Now Letang. I could see the Pens moving him and keeping Nikwhatever his name is. Whatever happened to Smith or Jones......geez...... A Dekeyser-Letang pairing would be very good overall. Yes there would be some WTF moments on D once in a while. But 90 points from the pair would be normal.

http://fansided.com/...-sabres/#!HaXNR

http://sabrenoise.co...mnesty-buyouts/

http://www.thehockey...-build-them-up/

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#28 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I understand the "rumors". We all see those and post/repeat the rumors all the time. But there is no reason for them to buyout Myers. They have plenty of cap, they could trade him for more picks/prospects, or they could keep him. Go look at Chara's career. he didn't become a top Dman until his late 20's. For whatever the reasons Dmen take longer in general to develop, and really tall guys like both of them take the longest. If buf is going to use their last buyout it would much more sense to use it on erhoff and get out from the last 8 years of his contract.

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

I would gladly take Boyle as a stopgap veteran. Moves the puck well, right-handed and can help out the power play. The Wings just need something different than Quincey playing 20 minutes per game. They got very little offensively from the d-men last season.

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Boyle
Ericsson - Marchenko

Then in a couple years you have the wave of Ouellet, Sproul and maybe Backman all ready to play in the NHL.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:53 PM

I would gladly take Boyle as a stopgap veteran. Moves the puck well, right-handed and can help out the power play. The Wings just need something different than Quincey playing 20 minutes per game. They got very little offensively from the d-men last season.

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Boyle
Ericsson - Marchenko

Then in a couple years you have the wave of Ouellet, Sproul and maybe Backman all ready to play in the NHL.

At which point we would have to move E and probably trade one of them. I really like all three of these kids. Backman is very underrated because of his low exposure playing in Sweden and has produced 4 points in 4 playoff games so far. Ouellet is obviously talented and smart all around. Sproul just looks like he is a raw Shea Weber in the making once his body fills out. I don't want to lose any of these guys.

I like Marchenko too and he should get the first look next year probably - I just don't really have any idea what he will project as in the NHL. Injuries are also a concern for him going forward and he will need to avoid them to stay in the lineup and keep other kids from winning his spot. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#31 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

There is no wat that Jets are going to trade Trouba.

I think that Franson could be had for cheap... other than that Buff or Bogo straight for Ericsson could be an option too
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

I think that Franson could be had for cheap... other than that Buff or Bogo straight for Ericsson could be an option too

I think we would have to add to E to get Bogo due to age difference. Ericsson + 1st or Tatar could maybe get Bogo.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#33 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

I wouldnt mind Letang. Not sure how he has looked after returning from injury?
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#34 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:49 AM

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Boyle
Ericsson - Marchenko

Frankly I'm getting tired of stop gaps. We can't wait for the kids, there is no guarantee that they will turn out to be good, just look at Kindl. We have been waiting on him to realize his potential for years, and that never materialized. I'd like to see Holland make a trade for a known commodity, even if that includes using our young D prospects to make a deal happen. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#35 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Kevin Bieksa....he's a RH guy with an all around game and he can mix it up too.  That's the Vancouver DMan I would want.

#36 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

I am in favor of signing Lidstrom

#37 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

I agree about Trouba, but that's it

#38 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Personally, I don't think handedness is an especially big deal. Could we really use a righty or two? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, a good defenseman is a good defenseman.

Yeah I agree. Seems like Holland blames everything that happened this year on not having a right handed shot dman.

#39 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

Not having RHed players is in fact an issue. But it is/was not the only one. BTW, who is responsible for putting the roster together? maybe he should draft, sign, trade for more RHers........

#40 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

You have three RH Dmen at GR...they  drafted at least one a year ago.  Not sure about Toledo or guys they drafted playing in college or Toledo