• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Shortly after my retirement from the NHL as an active referee, the Hockey News asked me to name the five biggest whiners I had to deal with on the ice. In descending order from one to five, the players were Chris Gratton, Tyson Nash, Craig Janney, Steve Yzerman and Keith Tkachuk. I'll share stories about the other players some other time but for now, I talk about Gratton.

Pretty interesting read, especially the story about Lindros. I just find it weird that Stevie Y would be in Paul Stewart's Top 5 "whiner" list. He was the Captain, so he obviously talks to the ref all game, but I never pegged him as a whiner.

Link

#2 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Actually it's pretty well known he was one of the biggest whiners. Some people just get caught drinking te cool aid of their team and don't always see things like this.

Ask penguins fans about Crosby sometime LOL.
  • Nev likes this

#3 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

I was never a huge fan of Stewart when he was a ref and things like this affirm it.  Not as bad as McGeough but Stewart seemed to have a big ego and it affected how he managed games. 

Regarding Lindros, if those stories are true it sounds like Lindros was being a hothead rookie, but never talking to the guy again and admitting that it affected how you called penalties on him for the rest of his career??  

I did NOT go out of my way to "invent" penalties on Lindros -- or any player -- but I wasn't going to give that guy a break on anything borderline that I might have let slide with a player who had gained acceptability with me.

And then he has another grudge with Ferraro? He basically admits to playing favorites. It sounds like he took it all way too personally for an NHL ref.

As for Yzerman being a whiner, I don't remember him doing much of it early in his career but as he got into the later years he definitely didn't hesitate to give refs an earful.  

#4 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

I was never a huge fan of Stewart when he was a ref and things like this affirm it.  Not as bad as McGeough but Stewart seemed to have a big ego and it affected how he managed games. 

Regarding Lindros, if those stories are true it sounds like Lindros was being a hothead rookie, but never talking to the guy again and admitting that it affected how you called penalties on him for the rest of his career??  

And then he has another grudge with Ferraro? He basically admits to playing favorites. It sounds like he took it all way too personally for an NHL ref.

As for Yzerman being a whiner, I don't remember him doing much of it early in his career but as he got into the later years he definitely didn't hesitate to give refs an earful.  

Talk about an ego. I was reading other bits of his blog and he comes off like he has an ego bigger than Yzerman or Crosby.

Edited by number9, 16 July 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#5 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Very interested to see what this guy has to say about Yzerman.  The Captain lost his cool a few times, but for the most part he seemed like he was cool headed.  I never pegged Yzerman for a whiner.  When you're as respected as Yzerman, you're allowed to talk to the refs are you not?  I guess Sakic was a whiner too then...  He always had the exact same demeanour as Yzerman.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#6 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

I've heard it before from other former officials. You don't need to be obvious to whine a lot, but a lot of top players complain a lot. It's not like Yzerman was the only one. Remember Lemieux's I'm taking my stick and going home complaints about the trap and hooks and hold?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

It's one thing to whine to the ref and another to whine publicly, I think. Yzerman never did the latter. I remember him talking to refs a lot but I don't remember him being whining, unless it was a rivalry game and passions were high. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

It's one thing to whine to the ref and another to whine publicly, I think. Yzerman never did the latter. I remember him talking to refs a lot but I don't remember him being whining, unless it was a rivalry game and passions were high.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you heard the conversations you can't speak to the whine or lack thereof.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Unless you heard the conversations you can't speak to the whine or lack thereof.

True, but with players like Crosby you can tell because they over-react to every call in a really embarrassing way.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

True, but with players like Crosby you can tell because they over-react to every call in a really embarrassing way.

Crosby cries worse than my 5 year old when he skins his knee.

#11 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Dan O'Halloran obviously had the same type of feud with Homer over the years. I wonder how many goals and games it ended up costing the Wings. I wonder what triggered that.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Dan O'Halloran obviously had the same type of feud with Homer over the years. I wonder how many goals and games it ended up costing the Wings. I wonder what triggered that.

Should have been on his good graces that way the ref would look past everything he did

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Stevie Y was definately a flea in the refs ear.  He wasn't one of those who was an "obvious" whiner, but you could see he was always on their case.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk