• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Time for Teemu?

Rate this topic

I agree Kip, I just really wish he spent more time in the minors. I do believe he would have been better off down in the AHL for another season... Oh well, he's not going down at this point...

You're right about that. He could have used the seasoning. I legitimately thought, after last year, that he was ready. But I was wrong on that. He definitely could have used more time to hone his power forward game down there.

Jesusberg, I'm not sure why you directed all that at me. It's like you're trying to convince me that Jurco should be down in Grand Rapids, when you know just as well as anyone here that I was one of the few advocating that Jurco spend another half to full season down in Grand Rapids. There's not a question in my mind that his game would have benefited, and he would be further along in his development with more time in the AHL, and I'm starting to wonder if him being rushed into the NHL hasn't stunted his development a little. Like I've said before, I kind of feel that this has been a rare case of mismanagement of a very promising prospect by the Red Wings... He should have absolutely been down with the Griffs on a line with Pulkkinen all season, and if he were, they would have definitely been 1 / 2 in scoring, ripping up the American League. I also agree that Callahan would have been the better option to have up here, but that's more in place of Andersson, not Jurco.

As for Babcock pushing players like Tatar. I'm well aware of that, and that's what I feel he is doing with Jurco as well. Like I said, maybe there is a method to his madness, but sometimes it is very hard to see as a fan, when you watch a player struggle in a role that he shouldn't have been put in in the first place. Maybe Jurco does benefit from Babcock's "tough love" and it makes him stronger mentally and helps round out his game... who knows...

I also said he should be with scoring players, and that includes playing on a third line with Sheahan and Weiss or whoever. I just don't believe he should be on the 4th line in a grinding role with the likes of Glendening, Miller and Andersson.

Oh, I wasn't directing it at you. More like expanding on some of what you said, and maybe taking a different approach as to why he's on the 4th line. You and I were two of the few suggesting that Jurco starting the year in the AHL might be for the best.

Really, that's why I was comparing Callahan and Jurco. It's not a direct comparison regarding their skill level, but rather their assumed role on the Wings.This team has enough scoring forwards - guys who fit into the top 9. Callahan could slot into a role as a net front presence, but he also makes sense on a fourth line. It's not going to hurt Callahan, because he's got a lower ceiling than Jurco.

Edit: It's entirely possible that the team didn't have faith in Weiss' scoring ability (or healthy, for that matter), and I doubt they thought Helm was going to be used as a complimentary winger in the top 6. It was likely about depth, more than anything.

Plus, I'm pretty sure getting Jurco on this team was one of the "battles" that Babcock won against Holland, with Ouellet being sent down as the one he lost.

Edited by Jesusberg

I don't think Jurco was rushed to the NHL. He was and is ready. He played well last year, and I think mostly has this year as well. I thought there was a stretch prior to his injury that he looked better than he had all year last year, despite the lack of goals. And just because he's being used on the 4th line doesn't mean he's in a checking role. Every forward in the lineup is expected to play defense, and it's not like the 4th line is being matched up against the toughest offensive guys from the other team. He's doing the same thing on the 4th line that he would do on the 1st, just without the pressure (or as good an opportunity) to produce. Bad for his stats, but not sure it's bad for him as a player. I doubt it will hurt his ability to play offense. And the better he gets defensively, the better he gets winning battles, the longer the leash he'll have when he does get back on a scoring line.

Andersson is a reserve forward. It makes sense to keep the center instead of a winger for that. So Andersson for Callahan makes sense.

Jurco started as a scoring line forward not as a fourth line banger. He played his way into his current role.