• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

NHL videogaming

Rate this topic

Can't believe what some of you are saying. Being a Cup contender every year was awesome.

Just don't forget, we weren't exactly winning it every year. Teams like Colorado, New Jersey, Dallas and Philadelphia were perennial contenders as well. There was only one Cup to go around. It was very competitive.

Rebuilding mode is only fun for video games when you're doing GM mode.

If the success of video game GM modes, and Capgeek, and fantasy hockey, are any indication, quite a lot of people find drafting, developing, building, trading, signing FAs, scouring the waiver wire, and other personnel moves extremely interesting.

Think about it, when you play video games, or participate in fantasy sports, is the actual game play the funnest part? Or is it all the stuff you do in the lead up to the season, or the game, what's satisfying?

If the success of video game GM modes, and Capgeek, and fantasy hockey, are any indication, quite a lot of people find drafting, developing, building, trading, signing FAs, scouring the waiver wire, and other personnel moves extremely interesting.

Think about it, when you play video games, or participate in fantasy sports, is the actual game play the funnest part? Or is it all the stuff you do in the lead up to the season, or the game, what's satisfying?

I enjoy winning. I enjoy watching my favorite teams win and bring glory back. It's more fun *

For me it's the gameplay. The other stuff is important, but not something I enjoy.

For me it's the gameplay. The other stuff is important, but not something I enjoy.

Well it takes all kinds. But I suspect you may be in the minority there. If it was all about the game play for most people, why bother picking a particular team? Or making trades/FA acquisitions? Why think so much about a fantasy draft? Might as well just do it all at random if the most satisfying parts are what occurs in real time.

But I'm genuinely not criticizing you here, because I know that people like different things. It's one reason why people either love or hate baseball. Because all of the interesting stuff happens before the game play. Before the ball is in motion. If you're the kind of person that loves the fluidity of real time sports, baseball is probably torture. But if you love the planning, preparation, strategy, etc. you probably love seeing the outcome of your critical thinking.

Edited by kipwinger

I tried to tell myself I liked playing the games but I soon found myself simming more and more games until I was just simming the whole season and concentrated on building my roster.

I think the games got repetitive after a while while building didn't.

Edited by NitzGuy

I tried to tell myself I liked playing the games but I soon found myself simming more and more games until I was just simming the whole season and concentrated on building my roster.

I think the games got repetitive after a while while building didn't.

Like I said, it takes all kinds. I'm like you, but some folks probably aren't. But I don't think anybody, regardless of their personal preferences, can deny the allure that the management aspect of the game has for a ton of fans. It's WILDLY popular. Like I said, look at the popularity of fantasy sports, or the "armchair GM" function on GAPGEEK (RIP).

Whether it appeals to us personally, it's obviously something that tons of people really get into. And personally, I get really juiced up for it as well. Hell, outside of the playoffs, the biggest events in hockey involved roster management. The draft, free agency, and the trade deadline all get more interest than the all star game or the NHL awards.

For all those who enjoy the management of a hockey team, I'm genuinely surprised their is a bigger community for Eastside Hockey Manager. Especially since its gone on Steam. Obviously it's more complicated than NHL15 but is about 100x more in depth and enjoyable/gratifying.

Not to mention it's just $14.99.

For all those who enjoy the management of a hockey team, I'm genuinely surprised their is a bigger community for Eastside Hockey Manager. Especially since its gone on Steam. Obviously it's more complicated than NHL15 but is about 100x more in depth and enjoyable/gratifying.

Not to mention it's just $14.99.

Is it any good? Have any issues with it?

I tried something similar once and it was really glitchy/bad

Did I ever tell you how on NHL 2000, I would always put an enforcer on every team I had?

I suggest you do the same when building your teams.

Did I ever tell you how on NHL 2000, I would always put an enforcer on every team I had?

I suggest you do the same when building your teams.

I'm good. I've got EA Sports UFC already. That game is awesome. I use Ronda Rousey and beat up on all the dudes. It's super life like.

I suggest heading over too http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/fhm-2-general-discussions/and checking out that forum; they will be releasing FHM2 later this month. They have a great team around them and a very successful baseball sim called OOTP - which I have and its insanely customizable down to every little detail you like. FHM2 will be following this model and should be a fantastic game once its released.