• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Wings Release Training Camp Roster

Rate this topic

LOL when have I ever said Smith is some sort of elite "offensive weapon" defenseman? I defend that he is not complete and utter trash, like some like to portray him as, and that's it. I think he is an above average defenseman, with a unique skill set that this team lacked before landing Green. And no, I'm not in any way, comparing Smith's offensive game to that of Green's... I've always said and still believe that Smith has top 4 (2nd pair), power-play quarterback, 30-40 point potential.

25-30 points this season wouldn't be anything special, after having 19 and 13 points respectively, the last two seasons? Give me a break... That right there is exactly why some players never shed their label. Smith sucks in the eyes of some fans, so no matter what he does, no matter how much he improves, he will always suck...

Ok everyone the Wings have released the training camp lines

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/644517096152526848

Some of note:

Helm - Richards - Tatar

Franzen - Sheahan - Glendening (interesting Glenny to the wing?)

Jurco - Larkin - Pulkkinen

Cleary - Miele - Mantha

Abdelkader - Z - Nyquist

Miller - Andersson - Ferraro

Quincey is with Marchenko

Smith is with Kindl

Edited by HockeytownRules19

zombo, you don't need a net front presence to have a successful power-play in the NHL. We've just grown so accustomed to having one over the years that we think that's the only way. With my formation, we would have Richards as a low middle man, directing traffic and looking to deflect shots from the point, as well as two wingers in Nyquist and Tatar, collapsing down low, ready to pounce on any rebounds, deflect shots, or get the goalie moving side to side with cross crease passes... I agree that a net front presence is nice to have, and both Abdelkader and Sheahan are quite good at it, but unless it's Holmstrom, I think that position on the power-play is somewhat overrated...

Wow... I couldn't be more disappointed with those line combinations... The only line I'm happy with is our top line of Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist...

I think the big sticking point with Smith is that many folks see a lot of potential in the kid. Which is fine. He did produce at lower levels. He was a first round pick. He does seem to have the natural physical gifts. But at least for me (and a few others), he needs to show me something with all that potential before I'm going to agree that the guy is "above average" or whatever.

I don't expect him to even be all that good defensively (Babs did, and that was a mistake), but he needs to find a way to consistently produce offense. So far he hasn't. And while I'd agree that he hasn't necessarily been used properly, I think the same thing is true for Kindl and he's found ways to get on the board when Smith hasn't.

Regardless of his potential, or his usage, this really is a make or break year for Smith. He'll get has chance to lock down a spot (as he should) but I don't imagine the Wings will continue to pay him 2 million bucks to play mediocre defense and not score points. Marchenko can do that for less money. So Smith better be ready to show what he's got this season.

LOL when have I ever said Smith is some sort of elite "offensive weapon" defenseman? I defend that he is not complete and utter trash, like some like to portray him as, and that's it. I think he is an above average defenseman, with a unique skill set that this team lacked before landing Green. And no, I'm not in any way, comparing Smith's offensive game to that of Green's... I've always said and still believe that Smith has top 4 (2nd pair), power-play quarterback, 30-40 point potential.

25-30 points this season wouldn't be anything special, after having 19 and 13 points respectively, the last two seasons? Give me a break... That right there is exactly why some players never shed their label. Smith sucks in the eyes of some fans, so no matter what he does, no matter how much he improves, he will always suck...

Maybe you missed the parts where I said I don't hate Smith and think he's still a decent D-man. Try not to overlook that when painting me as being irrational.

If you think he deserves that PP time then by default you're saying he has more offensive upside than a lot of our other players. Players that have shown their offensive gifts well exceed Smiths.

25 - 30 pts would be thrilling for him. But it wouldn't lead me to advocate for giving him PP time.

zombo, you don't need a net front presence to have a successful power-play in the NHL. We've just grown so accustomed to having one over the years that we think that's the only way. With my formation, we would have Richards as a low middle man, directing traffic and looking to deflect shots from the point, as well as two wingers in Nyquist and Tatar, collapsing down low, ready to pounce on any rebounds, deflect shots, or get the goalie moving side to side with cross crease passes... I agree that a net front presence is nice to have, and both Abdelkader and Sheahan are quite good at it, but unless it's Holmstrom, I think that position on the power-play is somewhat overrated...

Wow... I couldn't be more disappointed with those line combinations... The only line I'm happy with is our top line of Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist...

You need someone to go into that area and poke around at loose pucks. This team already plays too much on the outside. Also, I think you maybe forget how great Sheahan is down low and around the net. Or maybe you remember, but are just bumping him because someone's got to go to make room for your boy? :lol:

Ok everyone the Wings have released the training camp lines

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/644517096152526848

Some of note:

Helm - Richards - Tatar

Franzen - Sheahan - Glendening (interesting Glenny to the wing?)

Jurco - Larkin - Pulkkinen

Cleary - Miele - Mantha

Abdelkader - Z - Nyquist

Miller - Andersson - Ferraro

Quincey is with Kindl

Smith is with Marchenko

The link has Quincey with Marchenko and Smith with Kindl. Is that a mistake?

Some interesting things I'm seeing in those lines.

-Glendening on the wing

-AA back in the middle (love this)

-Franzen on what would be our 3rd line during the regular season

-Kindl on his off side

-Andersson back at center

-Cleary with Mantha (saw that coming)

-Blash seems to favor a digger, and a scorer, on each line (just as Babs did)

If the opening roster's going to look like this:

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Green

Quincey - Marchenko

Then I'd hardly call that a mistake. :lol:

Lol.

I was just responding to the post from HockeytownRules19. He said Quincey was with Kindl, and Marchenko was with Smith. Which doesn't appear to be the case.

Edited by kipwinger

Well damn. I'd have less than zero problems with a third pair of Quincey and Marchenko.

I don't know how much offense they'd generate but they'd be hellish hard to score on I'd think. Both those guys are pretty good in the defensive zone.

Some interesting things I'm seeing in those lines.

-Glendening on the wing

-AA back in the middle (love this)

-Franzen on what would be our 3rd line during the regular season

-Kindl on his off side

-Andersson back at center

-Cleary with Mantha (saw that coming)

-Blash seems to favor a digger, and a scorer, on each line (just as Babs did)

Lol.

I was just responding to the post from HockeytownRules19. He said Quincey was with Kindl, and Marchenko was with Smith. Which doesn't appear to be the case.

I wonder if that changes, though. Right now Larkin's between two NHL-bound players. Either AA goes to wing or Miele does.

Edit: Or (and I think this would be insane) they push someone down as the fourth-line center out of Nosek or Miele.

Edited by Jesusberg

I'd rather have Svechnikov down the middle and Athanasiou on the wing. I think both of their skill sets are better suited in those positions...

I hate that Glendening is playing 3rd line wing and Andersson appears to be playing 4th line center...

It appears that both Jurco and Pulkkinen could be the 13th and 14th forwards which would be insane...

I'd rather have Svechnikov down the middle and Athanasiou on the wing. I think both of their skill sets are better suited in those positions...

I hate that Glendening is playing 3rd line wing and Andersson appears to be playing 4th line center...

It appears that both Jurco and Pulkkinen could be the 13th and 14th forwards which would be insane...

It does seem kind of crazy, but neither player is really suited for fourth-line duty. I think their best bet is when/if Andersson is scratched. Hopefully, Blash moves Glendening down to the 4C spot and one of them gets to play on that third line.

Edited by Jesusberg

Green

Kronner

Kindl

Smith there's three guys ahead of smith when it comes to playing on the PP even if we run the 3-2 I'd rather have Kindl on it than smith, we just need to trade smith and call up Marchenko he can go QB Edmontons PP. Also one of the biggest reasons our pp was so successful last year was because of the net front presence, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

No rick, I believe that Smith would be an asset if used on the power-play. Sheahan is a good net front man, but like I said, I'd rather have a different formation on each unit, mainly to keep the opposition on their toes. In which case, I don't believe a guy directly in front of the net is absolutely necessary in that type of set-up. Also, if it were up to me, I'd have Sheahan on the penalty kill, and I'd try to split up special teams duties as much as possible. Power-play forwards - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Abdelkader, Pulkkinen (or Franzen), Richards, Nyquist and Tatar. Penalty kill forwards - Glendening, Ferraro (or Miller), Helm and Sheahan.

Also, Smith isn't "my boy". I don't like him any more than any other player on the team and significantly less than some. My favorite players on the team are all forwards. I can see why it may seem like Smith is "my boy", because I tend to get involved in all the conversations defending him, but that isn't because I think he's this unbelievable elite player, it's because he gets unnecessary backlash from fans (in my opinion). If people were constantly b****ing about DeKeyser, I'd be doing the same. Hell, I've done the same for Quincey in the past, as well as Pulkkinen, and neither of them are close to being my favorite Red Wings...