• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Richdg

Givani Smith

Rate this topic

I like this kid. 6-2/210 LHed shooting RW. Has scored 15 goals in 23 games for the Storm so far this year. Has one more year of Junior left after this year. Might be the replacement for Abby in a couple of years. Maybe an upgrade offensively.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/01/red_wings_draft_class_of_2017.html#incart_river_index

Saw this update on Givani that says he's leading the OHL in PIM (91). That only includes 1 fight, so that might be a little worrisome to take so many penalties, but it'll be good to have a guy with grit.

More importantly, though, he has 18g, 31pts. in 39 games so it looks like a good pick. 

Similar to Bertuzzi when he was in the O, though Bert's PIM's weren't quite as high. I loved the Givani pick when we made it and even more since. Between Bert and Smith, we should have two very gritty wingers to possibly slot in the middle 6. Similar players to Abby, hopefully with a little more skill, maybe we'll luck out and Givani will develop into a Simmonds lite...

1 hour ago, sputman said:

Where is Givani right now? I can't find stats on him anywhere. Is he hurt?

Yes, he was injured in training camp (ankle), which is why we didn't see him in any preseason games. He should be ready to go with Guelph in the next week or so.

2 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Anybody here know Givani's timeline for returning?

Should be back soon. Haven't heard anything on him recently but he was expected to be out 2-4 weeks as of September 20th. It will be 4 weeks this Wednesday.

19 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

so i can't find any 2017 stats on him. Is he still on IR?

2 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177611

He's only played 11 games for the Guelph Storm this year so he must be injured.

No, he's not injured. He missed the first 19 games of the season, but has played the last 11 games, scoring 4 goals (7 points).